This is a new one on me - speed limits

i got collared by a monarch guy after my shift this morning to sign for an infringement (over 6 hours without a break :unamused: ) and to get a report on my driving over the past month. although NAS didnt tell us, this arguement is going to be a weekly event :imp:

anyway, one of the things we argued about was the apparent change to speed limits. the speed limit for HGVs is no longer 60MPH. it is whatever speed the truck is limited to which should be 85KMH. by my line of thought, this means that our legal speed limit is now governed by the company and whatever they decide they want their fleet limited to.

i dont think so :unamused:

No, the speed limit for HGVs on motorways is 60mph although they can impose a lower limit as company policy if they wish.

i argued that the speed limit is 60 and hadnt changed to my knowledge. this guy says differently hence the arguement (one of many since i have had enough of this now). tesco do not like speeding but encourage coasting downhill in gear providing the speed limit is not broken which by my interpretation means letting it go over the limiter but keeping it below 60 :confused:

The guy is a trumpet and needs to be told so. He has a severe lack of knowledge regarding current legislation and therefore requires training if he is to continue dealing with ā€˜infringementsā€™.

I really hope you didnā€™t sign for that so called infringement?

Right, I am off for a lie down as it appears I have agreed with scanny77 over something! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m guessing it wonā€™t be long before someone comes along and posts that you are breaking C&U regs by ā€˜speedingā€™ beyond the limiter setting. Thatā€™s also ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– . :wink:

Coffeeholic:
The guy is a trumpet and needs to be told so. He has a severe lack of knowledge regarding current legislation and therefore requires training if he is to continue dealing with ā€˜infringementsā€™.

I really hope you didnā€™t sign for that so called infringement?

Right, I am off for a lie down as it appears I have agreed with scanny77 over something! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Guy is a prat, howeverā€¦ You only need to ā– ā– ā– ā–  them off so much before they decide youā€™re no longer required. :confused:

i signed for the 6 hour infringement but thats all. no major issues with my driving other than leaving the engine idling while coupling up :unamused:

they might have to beat me to it Steve. less money foe more bull and from some guy who is nothing to do with me. what little patience i have is wearing VERY thin :imp: :imp: :imp:

the only reason i havent chucked my ID at them is the fact that i got a new car last week and i know there is sod all else around just now

scanny77:
anyway, one of the things we argued about was the apparent change to speed limits. the speed limit for HGVs is no longer 60MPH. it is whatever speed the truck is limited to which should be 85KMH. by my line of thought, this means that our legal speed limit is now governed by the company and whatever they decide they want their fleet limited to.

i dont think so :unamused:

Get him to show you the Highway Code with the ā€œnewā€ speed limits. Nob, him not you :smiley:

anytime av been behind a tesco truck am usually hopin he might just reach 45mph or pull in and let me past :angry: :angry: :angry:

scanny77:
i signed for the 6 hour infringement but thats all. no major issues with my driving other than leaving the engine idling while coupling up :roll:

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:
Speechless :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
ā€˜Crazytruckerā€™
Though I miss the job Iā€™m glad Iā€™m done with it :exclamation:

your paid by the hour so why hurry. if they want slow, give them slow

i dont speed any more but i will let it overspeed on the motorway up to 60MPH. i wont rush for them but i wont crawl either. i was told that the optimum speed is 47MPH but i sit on the cruise control limit which is set at 52MPH. i have been stuck behind some of their drivers doing 47 or thereabouts though. i still dont know what the big prize is, not that it would apply to us anyway :unamused:

the basic formula is cut pay and increased performance. i dont know about you guys but i dont see it like that. you pay more for higher quality, not less :imp:

Its about time they brought in minimum speed limits like some countries have, motorways should be minimum 50mph

Crazytrucker:

scanny77:
i signed for the 6 hour infringement but thats all. no major issues with my driving other than leaving the engine idling while coupling up :roll:

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:
ā€˜Crazytruckerā€™

the amusing thing is that the assessor (tesco, not monarch) is the one who was telling everyone to leave the engine running. and that is according to this guy who gave me my performance report today, not from my own opinion

something else i learned (or was told to do :unamused: ) is to count my straps after i tip. if there are any fewer than 15 identical straps on either side of the trailer (they must all be the same type) then i am meant to VOR that trailer. we have a slight problem there. if i come up against a difficult strap that doesnt want to be undone i will cut it! i wont risk injurying my fingers for them so if the strap is dodgey the knife comes out

scanny77:

Crazytrucker:

scanny77:

ā€˜Crazytruckerā€™

the amusing thing is that the assessor (tesco, not monarch) is the one who was telling everyone to leave the engine running. and that is according to this guy who gave me my performance report today, not from my own opinion

something else i learned (or was told to do :unamused: ) is to count my straps after i tip. if there are any fewer than 15 identical straps on either side of the trailer (they must all be the same type) then i am meant to VOR that trailer. we have a slight problem there. if i come up against a difficult strap that doesnt want to be undone i will cut it! i wont risk injurying my fingers for them so if the strap is dodgey the knife comes out

well thats half of tescos fleet getting sent to the garage then if they have to be identical LOL

see what i dont get is why didnt you tell him to get stuffed, you dont work for monarch, im glad i aint been in since all this {zb} has gone on, aint even been offered another assessment yet.

Gordon, if you have something else keeping you going, stick with it mate. seriously! everything seems to be unpredictable just now and i cant afford to lose this contract just now and they know it. most shifts are down to 6 or 7 hours now and 3 or 4 shifts a week. the reports are now going to be a weekly event in the hope that drivers will improve. you start with 100% and you lose points for things like leaving the engine running, driving outside the green band, harsh braking, speeding etc. the target is 95% and my best out of the 4 weekly reports (without trying) was 95.1%, the worst was 83. something%.

im not going to put the effort in. they are paying basic rates so they are getting a basic service. i will go in, do my job without causing any problems and thats it. if they want an extra effort they pay for it and this guy will be getting that message loud and clear next time i see him. what do you think their answer would be if you walked in and picked up a jar of nescafe and told them you are only willing to pay the price of tesco classic? that is metaphorically exactly what they are trying to do and my answer will be the same as theirs would be. i can hit their targets but i wont be aiming for them unless they pay me to aim for them

see things is i wouldnt be talking to him at the end of my shift, once my shift ends im off to my car and away home, its a different story if it was somebody from NAS who i work for, but i dont work for monarch so have no time for somebody to have a go at me, plus what happened to the long shifts when i was last in, i liked having 10/12 hour days regularly.

that was the first arguement i had with him. i work for NAS so i am nothing to do with him :laughing:

i am doing ok with my shifts but some guys from both agencies are regularly getting 6 hours and thats it. we lost our 8 hour minimum too so if i do get a short shift i take full advantage of the knowledge that the clerks dont talk to each other. it takes me 45 minutes to fuel up now and half an hour of that is spent on the bunk :laughing:

I fell for the speed limit one as well, and when I pointed out to the person concerned that he was wrong and the speed limit was 60 on a motorway their response was that the limiter was set at 85km/h and company policy is that when the limiter is overrun the driver takes some kind of action to correct the situation by using one of the braking systems at his disposal. :unamused: :smiley:

scanny77:

Crazytrucker:

scanny77:

ā€˜Crazytruckerā€™

Our boss insists we turn engine off because when running it can cause a power surge when coupling up ABS, and damage it.

Does anyone know what is right and what is wrong? They all have their own theories.

scanny77:
that was the first arguement i had with him. i work for NAS so i am nothing to do with him :laughing:

i am doing ok with my shifts but some guys from both agencies are regularly getting 6 hours and thats it. we lost our 8 hour minimum too so if i do get a short shift i take full advantage of the knowledge that the clerks dont talk to each other. it takes me 45 minutes to fuel up now and half an hour of that is spent on the bunk :laughing:

the 8 hour minimum is gone? screw that ill no be back in at tesco unless im shunting, i signed a contract for a minimum of 8 hours when doing a shift, and havnt signed anything saying i agree to it being cut to 6 hours so really what monarch are doing is illegal lol.