This is a new one on me - speed limits

i dont think you will be the only one to tell them to shove it mate. i can see a few of our guys walking away from it now. i would if i thought the work was available but i cant take that risk. the job is easy but im not prepared to go the extra mile on the money we are now on and this weekly performance report is going to do nothing but annoy our guys

waddy640:
Our boss insists we turn engine off because when running it can cause a power surge when coupling up ABS, and damage it.

That was the advice we were given from Renault France several years ago, turn off the engine and the ignition also. then it allows the system to run through the computer checks before you restart the engine.

I use it on all trucks and it seems to work, a lot less ABS faults showing.

scanny77:
i dont think you will be the only one to tell them to shove it mate. i can see a few of our guys walking away from it now. i would if i thought the work was available but i cant take that risk. the job is easy but im not prepared to go the extra mile on the money we are now on and this weekly performance report is going to do nothing but annoy our guys

yea i can see that happening, at least with the shunting its 12 hour shifts.

Wheel Nut:

waddy640:
Our boss insists we turn engine off because when running it can cause a power surge when coupling up ABS, and damage it.

That was the advice we were given from Renault France several years ago, turn off the engine and the ignition also. then it allows the system to run through the computer checks before you restart the engine.

Concur with that, if you don’t switch off when dropping a trailer, the computer still thinks you are hooked to it and then when you hook to a different trailer, it starts to sulk and your dashboard lights up :wink:

gogzy:

scanny77:

i just had a word with Gerry and told him about yesterday. apparently this guy should have introduced himself to us all by now and it is supposedly in our favour as it saves us having to go to the office for these reports but he has no authority over us. it is purely informative not that it will make any difference as far as i am concerned. tomorrow night i will hit all the targets to prove a point ie yes i can hit every one of their targets but then i am disregarding it. i will sign the sheet once a week and thats it. this monarch guy can stick his feedback up his arse with my boot

scanny77:

gogzy:

scanny77:

i just had a word with Gerry and told him about yesterday. apparently this guy should have introduced himself to us all by now and it is supposedly in our favour as it saves us having to go to the office for these reports but he has no authority over us. it is purely informative not that it will make any difference as far as i am concerned. tomorrow night i will hit all the targets to prove a point ie yes i can hit every one of their targets but then i am disregarding it. i will sign the sheet once a week and thats it. this monarch guy can stick his feedback up his arse with my boot

yea well if monarch would actually let me get an assessment it would be good, i was meant to have one a about 4 weeks ago, went in and got there, was told i wasnt on the sheets. monarch had cancelled me and put one of their newbies in instead of me and never told us, which resulted in me losing out ona days pay because i got offered work that day but since the 8 hour minimum for a shift has now gone and nobody has told me officially its gone.

none of us got told mate. one of our lads complained to me about it and i asked last week when i was in getting my birth certificate copied. we are getting exactly the same pay as monarch in there and most shifts are short these days but then again, it depends who is on the desk. they are the ones you are effectively working for and they want runs covered. its only the management that give a ■■■■ about fuel figures but they dont live in our world. they live in a theoretical world, we live in the practical world. when a deer runs out in front of you there is a choice of damaging the wagon or hitting the brakes and which would cost more money? apparently hitting the brakes indicates poor observation and bad driving so maybe next time i just wont bother and see if hitting the deer makes me out to be a better driver :unamused:

be funny if you came back with a deer on the front of the wagon, i nearly came back with a dog once after it ran across the whole of the m8 at j12 lol, how would you explain that one

cos using the brakes makes us naughty truckers and they take us into a little room to slap our hands :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

waddy640:

Daf advise the same thing, engine off , ignition off , susies on.

scanny77:
cos using the brakes makes us naughty truckers and they take us into a little room to slap our hands :laughing:

oh christ can u imagine wee tommy doing that to us HAHAHAHA

scanny77:
i got collared by a monarch guy after my shift this morning to sign for an infringement (over 6 hours without a break :unamused: ) and to get a report on my driving over the past month. although NAS didnt tell us, this arguement is going to be a weekly event :imp:

anyway, one of the things we argued about was the apparent change to speed limits. the speed limit for HGVs is no longer 60MPH. it is whatever speed the truck is limited to which should be 85KMH. by my line of thought, this means that our legal speed limit is now governed by the company and whatever they decide they want their fleet limited to.

i dont think so :unamused:

i’ve looked into the legals of this, and apparently it goes like this.

the highway code is just that. a code. poxy europian LAW states a truck should not run above its governed speed. so the enforcable LAW is that of running a vehicle above its governed speed.

■■■■■ aint it■■?

sharky007:

scanny77:
i got collared by a monarch guy after my shift this morning to sign for an infringement (over 6 hours without a break :unamused: ) and to get a report on my driving over the past month. although NAS didnt tell us, this arguement is going to be a weekly event :imp:

anyway, one of the things we argued about was the apparent change to speed limits. the speed limit for HGVs is no longer 60MPH. it is whatever speed the truck is limited to which should be 85KMH. by my line of thought, this means that our legal speed limit is now governed by the company and whatever they decide they want their fleet limited to.

i dont think so :unamused:

the highway code is just that. a code. poxy europian LAW states a truck should not run above its governed speed. so the enforcable LAW is that of running a vehicle above its governed speed.

[zb] aint it■■?

which in this country is 60mph, but as the rest of europe is limited to 56mph or 90k then so are our wagons…well most of them anyway

the point being is that the vehicle has a governor to limit it to say 56mph. if that speed is exceeded then the european law has been broken, but not our legal speed limit.

sodding europe should ■■■■ off :laughing:

sharky007:
the point being is that the vehicle has a governor to limit it to say 56mph. if that speed is exceeded then the european law has been broken, but not our legal speed limit.

sodding europe should ■■■■ off :laughing:

exactly, we aint breaking no law in the country we live in, yet if we cross the water weve broken the law for speeding in this country if stopped by a euro cop who just sees money in his eyes

this is where the vostapo can get you though. i think thats why firms are starting to give infringments for going above the limiter.
because we are under european law, we could technically still be done for it here in our country :angry:

sharky007:

[zb] aint it■■?

Nonsense. The Highway Code is a guide in simplified terms to the many different pieces of regulation that govern behaviour on the road, it’s about 30 bits of legislation as far as I recall. Now one of those many bits of legislation is the one which sets out the speed limits for this country, that’s UK legislation not European, and that legislation states that the maximum speed for an LGV on a motorway is 60 mph, unless signs dictate a lower speed is in force. You do not commit any offence or break any regulations or legislation by allowing the truck to reach 60 mph on a NSL motorway and therefore you cannot be prosecuted for it under any current legislation be it from Europe, be it C&U, or be it any other regulation that people dream up when they try to continue this myth.

If anyone has been telling you otherwise their voice must have been a bit muffled, assuming they were not naked at the time, because they were talking out of their arse.

sharky007:
poxy europian LAW states a truck should not run above its governed speed.

Where does it state that? Care to find a link? All European legislation is available online so it shouldn’t be too difficult if it is there.

i know what you mean fella, i argued the point and that came up with some paperwork stating all the rubbish.

i have been meaning to try and find it online, so i might have go tonight :wink:

sharky007:
i know what you mean fella, i argued the point and that came up with some paperwork stating all the rubbish.

i have been meaning to try and find it online, so i might have go tonight :wink:

Don’t waste your time, you won’t find it because it doesn’t exist. I don’t know what paperwork they showed you but it wasn’t worth, err, well the paper it was written on.

so you are saying i was right Neil? the speed limit is 60, overspeeds dont matter providing i keep to that speed limit (which i do)?

now that i think about it, i regularly do this as there is virtually no motorway in Scotland that doesnt have a few downhill stretches where the truck will push past the limiter yet i have had not one infringement for overspeeds even though sometimes the hill is long enough to give me the warnings on the tacho which get acknowledged by pressing the button twice, then ignored as i carry on at 60 until the hill runs out which can be for a couple of minutes in some cases. if this is illegal, where are the infringements? i think i will ask that at the next performance review and see what he has to say about it :sunglasses: