speed limit?

:confused: now i am confused!!! and couldve been or could be caught out!!! when i was learning, i read the dsa theory test guide for that test obviously! i was sure the speed limit for a lgv on a 3 lane motorway was 60mph, i used to think it was 56mph before, however the day before my class1 test we went for a motorway drive, my idsa nstructor asked me the limit i said 60mph, he said we would get a ticket an be in trouble as it isn 56mph, ok fine, but yesterday an assesor on a assesment drive who said he was dsa trained asked the same thing, i said 56mph this time! , only to be told no it is 60mph, but the lorry is limited to 56mph, then he also said as we was catching a sainsburys truck that they are limited to 50mph but i kept quiet as i know a sainsbury driver who told me they were limited to 52mph, so now i am confused but will stay at 55mph withthe cruise control then i cant be wrong! haha problem solved. i would like to ask ROG what the correct speed is! and i wonder if anybody else is unsure is it 56mph or 60mph. or am i total idiot who shouldnt have passed my test? :blush:

The UK speed limit for LGV’s is 60mph, but European regs say that all LGVs working in Europe manufacturered after. bkah blah, have to have a limiter fitted. The maximum speed for the limiter to be set is 90kph or 56mph. You’ll get an overspeed warning recorded if you break the 56mph, but AFAIK you can’t be prosecuted unless you’ve tampered with the limiter.

:smiley: thanx for that info, it looks like i have had 2 people both with good intentions teaching me , but may of been unknowingly confused themselves!

Your instructor is a bell end. :wink: The limit is 60 mph and you commit no infringment by reaching 60 mph as long as the limiter is working.

i would like to ask ROG what the correct speed is! and i wonder if anybody else is unsure is it 56mph or 60mph.

Don’t think I can add to the excellent replies already given :smiley:

:smiley: great cheers Rog i knew you would confirm for me! so i was right all along, glad about that, i hate it when you are sure of something an get told different by somebody who you see as more should know than yourself, never mind. i just thought about what i was told an thought i must solve this. :smiley:

"donpablo:
i was sure the speed limit for a lgv on a 3 lane motorway was 60mph

Not just 3 lane motorways but any motorway (unless specified otherwise)