Theory test, new speed limits

Hi everyone. Been lurkng around for a few months whilst sizing up whether or not to take the plunge and go for LGV training. Having decided to do so, I’ve got the theory test booked in soon.

But, can anyone tell me if the actual test uses the old or the new UK speed limits that came in recently? All the practice tests (including the DVSA official tests) use the old limits, and the people on the phone at DVSA can’t/won’t tell me! Only likely to lose 1 - 2 marks if I answer incorrectly, but every little helps.

Cheers everyone,

Al

Current legal speed limits are used and the driver is expected to drive at those limits is safe and reasonable to do so

Cheers Rog, that’s what I would have hoped - but none of the practice tests (including the official ones) reflect this.

Ah sod it, not going to fail for the want of 1 or 2 points. He says…

bighairyal:
Cheers Rog, that’s what I would have hoped - but none of the practice tests (including the official ones) reflect this.

Ah sod it, not going to fail for the want of 1 or 2 points. He says…

Theory tests have probably not been updated yet but that does not change the current law

Gonna be fun if on a theory test and if asks what is the max speed for LGV over 7.5 on a single carriageway with 4 possible answers
And 40 gets the point instead of the new law of 50 !!

But what if I take the test in Scotland?

You would think tests administered should be good for everywhere in the UK so I imagine they would specify Scotland or otherwise in question. Or Pearson-Vue are going to have to administer 2 different tests to get the same theory pass…

I may be wrong, and I hope I am. But the theory test for instructors is years out of date. It still requires “21 days” for the tacho return period and there are other errors that I cant recall at the moment. So the chances of that one being current for the new speed limits are not looking good.

Certainly, for the practical test, drive up to the new speed limit provided it is safe to do so.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: