A Day In The Life of a Truck Driver - contributions wanted!

Calling all UK Truck Drivers…

I’m a student doing a project on Distribution Centres and I need to produce a ‘Day In The Life of a Truck Driver’ for my portfolio. Would anyone be willing to help?

I guess there is no such thing as a typical day but I’d like to hear about all the problems (and hopefully pleasures too?!) that you experience in the course of a normal working day - from the moment you wake, through the hours spent on the road, to the issues of overnight parking - anything you could tell me would be much appreciated!

I am specifically looking at the Tesco Distribution Centre in Didcot, so any input from drivers who call in there regularly would be particularly useful, but any contributions at all are extremely welcome.

Thanks!

Brace yourself. :wink:

Coffeeholic:
Brace yourself. :wink:

Agreed - your project may make disturbing reading :blush:

If you search for the diarys people put on here you may get a decent amount of info, otherwise - what do you want to know?

Using a super market carrier bag to relieve one self,when caught out.What is with the signs that say toilets are for customers only,and the loo is a tardis,plastic box,with no paper and fluid to wash away debris.They are in lay bys.No water in the sink,that you press down on the button on the floor to operate.
One day they will do a RyanAir and charge a £1 to use them if you dont buy a cholestrol butty.

OMG,This could be interesting. Stand by with that blue pencil Coffee.

Are you the ‘Swains Cyclist’? This is a deeper and very murky puddle.

I think is going to be a hot topic :grimacing:

I am not the Swain’s Cyclist…

I am fully braced…

I have been reading everyone’s posts on here for a week or so now and it makes for very interesting reading! I hadn’t thought about searching for diaries though so thanks, will do that now.

Ultimately I want to produce a kind of cartoon-style story board that starts at 9am (or 4am, or 2am?) and ends whenever it ends, so a diary-style report recorded at hourly intervals would be fab.

Don’t worry, I don’t shock too easily… (famous last words!) I want to hear about real stuff, but the more entertaining the better.

Talk to Rog he has lots of fictional stories…

Oh but you want facts lol

Is this a thread just for the trunkers, driving to RDC’s with their curtain siders and reefers?

Expect comments on some RDC`s that dont allow drivers to use site canteens.Waiting rooms and attitudes from warehouse staff and booking times.

Carrie F:

I think she said much the same.
It’s easier to get on the front page without endangering someone’s livelihood by quoting them at the end of a long and hard day.
Why would the british public want to know about truck drivers all of a sudden when in the past their only interest has been if they, literally, ran into one?

Like mushrooms, you pick them in the morning and fry them without wondering where they came from.

BTW Toby, she’s talking about Tesco (carrier bags have vent holes in the bottom, try Sainsbury or Morrisons, much better)

If Tosco’s are sponsoring this project I will give very good odds on it never coming into the public domain.

Are you allowed to use expletives in this project■■?

I went in to an rdc today to pick up some genie lifts. does that count? :smiley:

Carrie F:

the swain cyclist :question: :confused: can somebody elaborate :question: :confused: :confused:

Carrie you might be a while waiting for the RDC lads to post on here as they are probably still sitting on the bay waiting for paperwork from a week last friday :exclamation: . it’s not un-common for operation stack to be initiated outside certain RDC’s :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing:

and another thing considering the username this topic has only had 14 posts some people are being very well behaved :exclamation: :laughing: …, you say you’ve been monitoring the web site for a week, well good luck brace for impact

didcot is one of the better ones the goods in staff are pleasant enough and the turnaround times are usually very good and if you want to use the canteen then you can

if your cheeky enough you can use the showers upstairs too :wink:

Cruise Control:

Carrie F:

the swain cyclist :question: :confused: can somebody elaborate :question: :confused: :confused:

Carrie you might be a while waiting for the RDC lads to post on here as they are probably still sitting on the bay waiting for paperwork from a week last friday :exclamation: . it’s not un-common for operation stack to be initiated outside certain RDC’s :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing:

It was to do with a previous thread where one of Swain’s drivers was set up by journalist to throw a wave from a puddle over a cyclist and ended up in the nationals about ‘bad road behaviour truckers’ to get the lady famous/some money at the expense of Swains and their driver.

and another thing considering the username this topic has only had 14 posts some people are being very well behaved :exclamation: :laughing: …, you say you’ve been monitoring the web site for a week, well good luck brace for impact

woodlands:

Cruise Control:

Carrie F:

It was to do with a previous thread where one of Swain’s drivers was set up by journalist to throw a wave from a puddle over a cyclist and ended up in the nationals about ‘bad road behaviour truckers’ to get the lady famous/some money at the expense of Swains and their driver.

thanks mate, must of missed that topic :exclamation: :grimacing:

Morrison’s RDC in south marston park, swindon doesn’t seem too bad, but then again, I’m only ever there to change their skip over. The gate staff don’t even bother to stop me so I’m probably losing out on their more regular traffic’s RDC experience…