A Day In The Life of a Truck Driver - contributions wanted!

Cruise Control:
thanks mate, must of missed that topic :exclamation: :grimacing:

Story HERE

Carrie F:
Ultimately I want to produce a kind of cartoon-style story board that starts at 9am (or 4am, or 2am?) and ends whenever it ends, so a diary-style report recorded at hourly intervals would be fab.

Don’t worry, I don’t shock too easily… (famous last words!) I want to hear about real stuff, but the more entertaining the better.

Here ya go, the very thing !! :smiley: :smiley:
viewtopic.php?p=164423

Mike-C:

Carrie F:
Ultimately I want to produce a kind of cartoon-style story board that starts at 9am (or 4am, or 2am?) and ends whenever it ends, so a diary-style report recorded at hourly intervals would be fab.

Don’t worry, I don’t shock too easily… (famous last words!) I want to hear about real stuff, but the more entertaining the better.

viewtopic.php?p=164423

Hey Mike, you could be a studentist, you’ve already done half the work. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffee has answered it but this is the link to the original thread on TNUK, mr Swain was justifiably ■■■■■■ off about it and very straight to understand the drivers side.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22875&p=614242&hilit=swain+haulage#p614090

Coffeeholic:

Mike-C:

Carrie F:

viewtopic.php?p=164423

Hey Mike, you could be a studentist, you’ve already done half the work. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

The other half is about there somewhere, i looked but can’t find the thread where i went back and then put money on the pub walls?

Mike-C - that is absolutely perfect! And so funny. Reckon you might have missed your true calling there…! Thanks so much. It would be great to see any others you have written too if you can find them…?

Everyone else - please keep 'em coming! It doesn’t have to be RDC related. It would be good to have some stories about overnight stays, in official truck stops or other.

And I am honestly not the Swain Cyclist - though amused to have aroused such suspicion! Not quite sure how to prove it but maybe I could post a link to my finished piece of work when it’s done, if anyone’s interested. Hope I can do it all justice!

CF

Carrie you need to “experience” Tesco Lichfield or Fenny Lock(fanny ■■■■)as it is affectionately known by us Muppets who sit in these hovels for hours on end,I’ve been to Didcot twice and found it was OK but the goods in office is cack unlike the goods out office.The thing i hate the most is Tesco are the only one that won’t let you in your cab while you wait,Asda,Morrisons even Sainsburys only want your key bunch which is another rant which i’m sure will be commented on shortly :smiley:

“Mum, has Dad died?”

“No Son, he’s tipping at Tesco”.

I delivered to Tesco Dav1 earlier in the week, got there at 16:30 for a 22:15 tip, they then left me sitting on a holding bay for 3 hours before I went back in and asked if they was going to tip me. The answer as you can guess was “NO” not before my due in time. Managed to get them to let me drop the container on a bay, and told them I’d be back in 9 hours to pick it up. When and had my daily rest and went back in, only to get told a good job I didnt turn up 15 minutes earlier, as they was still tipping it and they started at 2215.

Six hours to tip a 40ft container full of boxes of pillows is taking the micheal. Oh well… 3 hours demaurage… Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Is that a skeleton in the cab,or has he got rigor mortis and stiff as a board,waiting to tip,i will back by Xmas,tipping at supermarket RDC. :laughing:

I aint gonna coment

Bugger I just did :laughing:

Dunno if these are any good for you. THIS and THIS There’s another link in the 2nd topic to more howlers.

i did a delivery for Allied Bakery ( who make asda kingsmill and other breads) from Team Valley RDC to Glasgow RDC. Arrived at glasgow handed keys in and bang on 45 mins keys handed with notes and told that was me done i could go back to Team Valley and get home. Good quick lads in Glasgow :smiley: :smiley:

makes me laugh :smiley: so students really do pointless things :bulb: a theory about someone delivering goods to a rdc :open_mouth: will part 2 be how the goods get to the shop :unamused: if you get a chance go to didcot i here theres a big cimney you can climb up

I thought about it and came to the conclusion-

I have sat through a period of time in a Tesco and a STUDENT now wants me to relive that wasted time over again :angry:
You get your arse in and sit there for hours on end and write up your own experience :imp:
Typical student wants the rest of us to provide the basis of their work for free :grimacing:

Carrie.

What level of student are you? A level , University and what is your course for Logistics management or some other subject. Are you an an internship/work experience placement?

My reason for asking was you started by suggesting that you had an interest in Tesco at Didcot and in a very short period this has expanded to a much wider brief. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dear Wiretwister and anyone else who’s interested,

To elaborate - I am in my final year at London Met University studying for an architectural degree. The wider brief of my studio is concerned with ‘places of production’ (industrial parks, business villages etc) located in the Thames Valley area. For our individual projects, we have each been allocated a site in the Thames Valley to investigate - mine is Southmead Industrial Park in Didcot. I have a particular interest in the Tesco RDC as it the most dominant building on the site, and in RDCs in general as I find the logistics of the whole operation quite incredible and the city’s dependence on them slightly unsettling…

I’m having a tour of Tesco RDC at Didcot tomorrow from the Depot Manager which should be good (!) but I really wanted to find out about it from the ‘users’ perspective ie you guys. Ultimately, I have to design a new building/group of buildings/refit an existing building for my project next term and I am thinking about designing a state-of-the-art truck stop or perhaps a new eco-RDC with integrated truck stop - not sure yet. My request for a ‘Day in the Life of a Truck Driver’ forms part of my initial research for this project.

The response has been brilliant. Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed - really useful and very entertaining! I will be back in the new year with more questions probably…

Seems fair enough to me. About time somebody designed an industrial park/RDC with the driver in mind. Especially the integrated truckstop idea. Can you also design a warehouse operative that moves faster?

dessy:
Carrie you need to “experience” Tesco Lichfield or Fenny Lock(fanny ■■■■)as it is affectionately known by us Muppets who sit in these hovels for hours on end,I’ve been to Didcot twice and found it was OK but the goods in office is cack unlike the goods out office.

Im sure the GI staff at the depots mentioned above, and also dartford & Goole have sick macarb sense of humour. Knowing that your stuck in the GI office for hours on end, Im sure they hide the TV remote control, after switching channels & cranking up the volume so that your forced to watch mind numbing shows like, Jeremy Kyle in the morning, & either ready steady cook or countdown in the afternoon. So after youve drunk the 30th cup of Tesco free coffee, your mind is so screwed up with caffine & day time TV you loose the will to live, never mind finding the strength to argue why youre still waiting for your delivery notes 12hrs after you arrived.

They dont need brain washing or water boarding techniques, when youve got a tesco goods in office waiting room

Carrie F:
I really wanted to find out about it from the ‘users’ perspective ie you guys. Ultimately, I have to design a new building/group of buildings/refit an existing building for my project next term and I am thinking about designing a state-of-the-art truck stop or perhaps a new eco-RDC with integrated truck stop - not sure yet.

I dont want to pee on your bonfire, but you forget .......... having suppliers truck on someones premises costs............wether that cost is the price of the land, concreate or tarmac those trucks are stood on, the liability insurance, the electricity for the flood lighting, the wages for the security bloke, the staff & warehouse bods and it wont be the hauliers who will have to pay for these factors.
Having the optimum smallest land footprint & a theoretically resonable truck turnaround times gives the retailers the maximum profit for the land they own & goods they move. its called just in time :unamused:
Providing onsite facilities for outside hauliers creates work for the retailers. Thats why, ultimately companies like tesco want you off the premises asap.
Remember your trying to sell your design ideas to the retailers, and they generally dictate the story board when wanting new premises, the focus for your designs is to get the goods from the suppliers & the hauliers trucks, across the warehouse to dispatch, & onto the shelves of the stores as efficiently & cheaply as possible, so that the public can buy them

Thats the bromine they put in the tea,soldiers in the war drank it,stuff to reduce ■■■■■■ desires to make them competant in fighting and not day dreaming about their fiances back home.Think the Army used to use it now,they did when my bro was in the Royal Artilery.Woolwhich barracks.