Need your help

Looking to speak to HGV drivers for a research product I am conducting, want to learn about a day in the life and challenges you have. Please message me back if you are interested in speaking.

look on youtube for trucking tv does a lot of that sort of stuff.

Thank you, will take a look at this… looking to speak on the phone to as we have some questions around challenges etc too.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=154577

Up at 2am, didn’t finish work last night till 8 home at 9 bed and asleep around 11. 3hrs sleeping and I’m good to go! Drink coffee, eat breakfast, out the door about 3.30, commute to work, start at 4.30.

2 drops in brum, one in Manchester, one in Leeds. Going to be tired as hell, stuck in traffic all day. Oh god I hope it doesn’t end up as I run out of time and have to spend a night out!

Brake checked and yelled at on the motorway for misjudgment of someone’s speed when I pulled out to overtake, complaints by the public, complaints by the customers when you are half an hour later than some 16 years old spotty oik said you were going to be. Handballing 5 pallets off because the drop is at the entryway you wouldn’t take a pushbike down, making you even later.

Diversion on the way home. Pull into the yard at 8, at least I get home tonight! Back home at 9. Lather, rinse, repeat. Groundhog Day

This never happened to me specifically, it was just a tome to show what life as a driver can be, and is for some. I am a shunter, I go nowhere and I work 8 hrs and zero minutes a day. I fing love it!

Driverlearner…the problems we face : Employers forcing us to work the maximum hours, with the minimum rest period ie 15 hrs on duty, 10 hours driving, only 9 hrs rest and do it all again the next day, and the day after that ( almost )

Lack of parking facilities with facilities for a shower and fresh food. ( services are expensive as well )

Bosses refusing to pay for decent parking facilities.

Lack of security wherever we park…Truckstops…service areas, laybys…where fuel is stolen…trailers being broken into, curtains being slashed, and goods stolen all on a regular basis + drivers being threatened.

The whole industry needs to be looked at…long delays waiting to load or tip…being refused the basics like toilet facilities in some cases, and the lack of a canteen, we are not respected and often face penalties if we are late, or early, we cannot win.

The pay rates need an overhaul…the haulage rates need an uplift too.

penalised for sleeping in our vehicles for the weekly rest ( which is law anyway ) and is strict across europe thanks to the EU. with fines up to 3000 euros.

penalised if not parked overnight in a truckstop or somewhere with facilities, this is in Kent ( at the moment ) yet we have no choice…there are very few facilities available.

Penalised if immigrants are caught on board, often gain entry with help, or cut the curtains or roof of the trailer…£2000 per immigrant, and more fines for the boss.

Just a few to keep in mind…others will be along shortly to add to my list.

The crux of the matter is that there are too many petty rules and regulations: the government and eu, your employer and even the customers. I read recently about someone being refused to be tipped because he had come in via the wrong route! Wtf!

The road is way too busy, too many people in a hurry to get home to their fat Jeremy Kyle watching wife and their juvenile delinquent kids. We are micromanaged. Roads are always being closed and diversionary routes being planned by frank spencer.

Then there is the pay.

Driverlearner:
Looking to speak to HGV drivers for a research product I am conducting, want to learn about a day in the life and challenges you have. Please message me back if you are interested in speaking.

Hi, there.
No need for names but who are you?
Student? Under or Post Grad?
Marketing researcher?
Insurance salesperson?
Seller of tin foil hats? Big market opportunity here!

Franglais:

Driverlearner:

Hi, there.
No need for names but who are you?
Student? Under or Post Grad?
Marketing researcher?
Insurance salesperson?
Seller of tin foil hats? Big market opportunity here!

Franglais, I’ve added a question to your list. :smiley:

A person who didn’t read the forum rules?

Forum Rule #5:
Any media organisation, company, educational establishment or individual seeking information to help with a project from the members of this site should seek permission BEFORE posting the request.

So… CLICK, the post is locked and a PM has been sent.