Trucking Lifestyle

27 Peveril Road
Hunters Bar
Sheffield
UK
S11 7AP
adgraham82@hotmail.com
Tel: 07944 728204

I am currently undertaking a MA in Industrial Design at Sheffield Hallam University. At present I am involved in a project looking at long distance travellers and especially drivers such as long and short haul freight drivers.

I am aware that the drivers can be away for a number of weeks or even months and can cover a number of countries; however I am interested in knowing more about the life of the ‘truckers’ lifestyle on the road. More specifically I would like knowledge of a trucker’s average day on the road (“a day in the life of a truck driver”) and the problems he/she encounters and what they do to pass the time, whether they enjoy there chosen profession and why?

I was wondering whether you could help me out with any of this information or point me in the best direction to achieve this information. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Andrew Graham

Everybody knows lorry drivers spend all day drinking tea and sciving. :wink:

I would like to help, but some of my days only involve 31 ■■■■■■■ km travelling. :frowning:

nice to see someone out side of the industry taking intrest i dont do long distance when am not working i spend a lot of time on trucknet , you can probally guess that i do enjoy my job you are welcome to ask me any questions

Cant go any further than saying invest a tenner in a copy of Coffe to Go by Neil Hobbs (Coffeeholic) on this site, you’ll soon find out the life that he has doing continental driving :wink: :wink:

Of course you can also go to the Insider section of the site for a few posts there by Neil which give accounts of his Journeys :sunglasses:

■■■■, this isnt blatant advertising of Coffeeholics Book is it? is it within the bounds of Tnet Rules ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

■■■■, this isnt blatant advertising of Coffeeholics Book is it? is it within the bounds of Tnet Rules ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No…it’s blatant bribery…someone’s got to sort out the aftermath when I have a hormonal/stressed/downright stupid moment after all … :blush: :wink:

And before anyone asks, students are one group who are welcome to post requests without permission - they are still young and open to persuation 'round to our way of thinking, after all. :wink:

Best way mate is to find one of us long distance drivers (trampers) who are willing to take you along for a few days in order to get a better insight. Now if your name was Andrea instead of Andrew… :laughing: :laughing:

Davey Driver:
Cant go any further than saying invest a tenner in a copy of Coffe to Go by Neil Hobbs (Coffeeholic) on this site, you’ll soon find out the life that he has doing continental driving :wink: :wink:

Of course you can also go to the Insider section of the site for a few posts there by Neil which give accounts of his Journeys :sunglasses:

As Neil’s PR Manager and Agent, I would be willing to entertain any questions…

…for a price of course!! :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

another good read along with Neil’s writing would be the “trampers disease” post!

While you wait for your copy of Coffee to go by Niel Hobbs to arrive via road transport, just take a look at Niel NSH’s signature, it isntonly how owner drivers feel at the end of the week, i think most of us have that feeling. But once that diesel is in your blood thats it trucker for the rest of your life, even if you come of the road :wink:

adgraham82:
27 Peveril Road
Hunters Bar
Sheffield
UK
S11 7AP

Typical student.

He even has his mail sent to a local pub.

Nice to see that little changes. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:slight_smile: Hi Andrew, Welcome to TruckNet.

You’ve come to the right place for the information you need. :wink:

As Davey Driver has already mentioned, to start you off you will get a massive amount of info. on ‘a day in the life’ just by reading through Neil’s diaries.

Click on to ‘The Insider’ (top right of this page), then scroll down to the ‘Coffee to Go’ section. The diaries are in bite - size chunks, so you can read them at your leisure, although you may find them so fascinating as I know several people from ‘outside’ of our industry have, that you will just keep on reading without noticing the time ! :laughing:

Then you can always keep coming back on here to ask specific questions, for example regarding the UK driver’s job and how it compares with Neil’s which takes him into Europe each week.

Enjoy ! :sunglasses:

Of course if you’re looking for a diary of a UK artic driver with pics then have a look at 3 months of my trucking life, sleeping in the truck all week (commonly referred to as tramping).

CLICK HERE

Hi Andrew, welcome to Trucknetuk. There’s a mine of information on here and many people who can create a picture of this industry for you.Good luck with your project and keep us posted as to your progress… :wink:

Hi all, thanks for all the replys to my message they have been very helpful and I have become engrossed in the ‘Coffeeholic Diaries’ of day-to-day, week-to-week life on the road.

It seems to me that you guys dont have a lot of time to do much of anything when your on the road. :bulb: :bulb: I have taken an interest in the exercise and fitness of drivers as previously I have been a Sport Technologist.

Do any of you take part in exercise whilst on the road and if so what type of exercise do you do? :question:
If you don’t exercise, then why not? :question: And would you exercise if you had the space or equipment to be able to do it in the comfort of your own truck cabin :question: :exclamation:

Thanks again Guys
Andy :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I do exercises as instructed by a Physio because of a condition I have…but not as many as I should. To be honest, I wouldn’t do them at all if I didn’t have to to stop my kneecaps dislocating…too ■■■■ tired most of the time! :blush:

Hi Andrew.
There is loads of infomation as to why many members of this site do a job that seems mad from the outside, It seems mad from the inside most of the time, but once you start it seems to grab hold of you and there is no escape.

The trampers disease seems to explain the mind set of that type of driver, whether on UK or Continental work.

And just reading the various dairies give a good insight into the work and problems.

As for fitness. Big problem when away, if not driving, then quite often you are sitting at depots waiting to tip or load. Once finished you just want to eat, wash and sleep. If you did do a decent workout you’d want a shower afterwards, not easy parked up in a layby or industrial estate overnight.