A bit too much on there ,Driver

Just a couple of pics of badly loaded lorries,anyone got some more?

Taken at the port of Ireaklion Crete

Well overloaded Dodge in Malta.

Turkey takes some beating for extreme loading.

Excellent stuff Bestbooties,just the job…but us brits aren’t that squeeky clean.

Apologies for the poor quality.
Cheers Marc.

I think the first one was an, ex hay and straw man.

I must admit I had to drop down a cog on Keele bank…Honest!!

Cheers Marc.

bubbleman:
I must admit I had to drop down a cog on Keele bank…Honest!!

Cheers Marc.

AHHHHH that poor old Bubble :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Regards Pat

Anyone fancy sheeting this one ?

could you imagine asking any one now adays to sheet anythiing

I reckon thai I could still rope and sheet a load.Even at seventy.However I might have to get someone to climb up and spread the sheets for me. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one

Well said mate. I guess a lot of us reading this could still rope & sheet
but would just take a little longer aye.( my back aches just thinking about it )

bob-lad:
could you imagine asking any one now adays to sheet anythiing

must of the scotch lad can still rope & sheet , photographed this one on A1 north bound in june, bumper :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Not a bad job.Bet he isn’t a nipper! When I think back,how many man hours were spent in roping and sheeting a load? Now most of the time pull the curtains and away.Were the old days the best times? Bloody sure they were :laughing: :cry:

charlie one:
Not a bad job.Bet he isn’t a nipper! When I think back,how many man hours were spent in roping and sheeting a load? Now most of the time pull the curtains and away.Were the old days the best times? Bloody sure they were :laughing: :cry:

You’re right Charlie, mind you he did get a bit lucky with the sheet size. :wink:
How many times on general haulage did you have to roll the sheets (under, of course :unamused: ) at the bottom and hold it tight till you could get it secured, then tuck it all neatly to look like a proper job?

Mind you, better than having one too short. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Hi Guys
I remember that, roll it under, then pull it down just enough to cover the side rail of the trailer, then tie the dollie and pull it tight so that the sheet is gripped to the side rail with the rope.
Repeat the process until the whole trailer length is the same, not forgetting to keep all your dollies in line !!!
GS

As I said on another thread,if you aint done any roping and sheeting,you aint done much.
I think back to when I was piloting a mk2 Atki with a Gardner 180,I used to load bagged China clay out of St.Austell in Cornwall.
I liked loading there because it was all palletised which was at a time when most stuff was still hand ball.
A 20 ton load on a 40 footer would give you 16 pallets on the deck and 4 up top over the axles.
Another good load was soap powder out of port Sunlight,2 pallets high right out.As tall as a double decker is now,had to get a forkloft to lift you and your sheets on top.
Or how about oranges,20 ton in the old wooden orange boxes,remember them?All hand ball.
Imagine today rolling up to Sainsburys with 20 tons of oranges roped and sheeted on a flat!
When roped and sheeted well it looked great,shame I never took any pics at the time.

I was roping and sheeting up to 4 years ago when I was with Owens, Llanelli; my old EC6 is still in service with them, though not as tidy now…

Nice little motor that was, bit short of grunt but it drove well.

Still see a fair few Mansel Davies and Charles Footman flatbeds round here, mostly on fertiliser.

Aaaaah roping and sheeting really great in winter when the you had a job to roll up the sheets as they were as stiff as hardboard! Then I moved up to artics
they seemed to be 3 times as long to sheet.
Subbing for Sea Route Ferry we had a lovely job carbon black from Sevalco had to sheet the load with old tily covers! You remember that Mappo?

A couple of pics of my old AEC Mercury LTC955K with home made sleeper in Sea Routes yard in Empress Road Southampton

Not a bad bit of roping and sheeting Pat.Mind you were only a nipper learning then wern’t you? :laughing: :laughing:

you never forget how to rope an sheet.i started on farm deliveries when everything was handball.you had to carry feed upstairs for the farmers,who always had a field to plough when you turned up.my father drove this commer,collect 15 ton,back to mill and tip it,30 ton a day handball.and they say ,the good old days !

g.s.morrall transport:
[you had to carry feed upstairs for the farmers,who always had a field to plough when you turned up.!

Nothing changes there, I assure you! :wink: