A bit too much on there ,Driver

In the early 60s I had a job for a few weeks in the season running empty from Surrey down to Shell Star at Avonmouth. Load 20 ton out of a railway truck on my jack onto the trailer.Throw a flysheet over and then to a farm in the Surrey/Hampshire area.Tip on my own into a barn or up on a staging.It was fertiliser in 1 cwt bags.And there I am saying “The good old days” And it was 6 days a week. :laughing: :laughing:

g.s.morrall transport:
/quote]

That’s about how high we used to load bagged ginger from Liverpool Docks (Huskison) and we all know how helpfull the dockers where, you’d have to make sure they lifted the sheets on to the load before they’d finished loading you in case they cleared off. You’d have to throw a rope over the load near the back & one near the front in order to be able to get back on top of the load to open the rear sheet, then use it to be able to clamber back down. Then take the back one off from under the sheet and once the rear sheet was secured remember to throw it back over to be able to be able to get back down after opening the front sheet. I have forgotten to do this once and had to wait up there for someone to come past to throw it over!!!

In that particular job you didn’t make too many mistakes twice, after all the above get back up and roll out the fly sheet and after that rope the lot up!

Then of course stop 2 or 3 times between Liverpool & Halstead and remove all ropes and re tighten the sheet then re-rope, would I sooner do it in a curtain sider? TOO RIGHT!!!

Ross.

Ainacs

How could anyone ever forget that bloody place aye Pat,even loading a tilt in Sevalcos we,d come out looking like a coalman or miner.
Seeing pic of your old motor took me back then mate

i had a maxi commer like the one pictured hereback in 1974.
my first truck.
its was only a single axle 16 tonner.i always carried around 18 ton a time delivering concrete blocks.
i never had a bit of bother with it for the 4 years i had it.
i am so sorry now that i never took photos of it.
a great truck.

bigr250:

g.s.morrall transport:
/quote]

That’s about how high we used to load bagged ginger from Liverpool Docks (Huskison) and we all know how helpfull the dockers where, you’d have to make sure they lifted the sheets on to the load before they’d finished loading you in case they cleared off. You’d have to throw a rope over the load near the back & one near the front in order to be able to get back on top of the load to open the rear sheet, then use it to be able to clamber back down. Then take the back one off from under the sheet and once the rear sheet was secured remember to throw it back over to be able to be able to get back down after opening the front sheet. I have forgotten to do this once and had to wait up there for someone to come past to throw it over!!!

In that particular job you didn’t make too many mistakes twice, after all the above get back up and roll out the fly sheet and after that rope the lot up!

Then of course stop 2 or 3 times between Liverpool & Halstead and remove all ropes and re tighten the sheet then re-rope, would I sooner do it in a curtain sider? TOO RIGHT!!!

Ross.

i note the date on the picture…2007.
is this truck still around,or was the photo taken off a magazine?

the picture was taken in the early seventies ,a picture of the picture was taken and posted in the forum