£5.300 FOR A BRAND NEW F88 ! those were the days!

Stupot:
Volvo used the air wipers up until they facelifted the interior in 1976/77,

Ye remember them we’ll the one I had and done hanging meat to rungis meat market with was a 74 88. It had the controls ie ign. Lights in a metal box at the back of seat by door, when you left cab you could padlock the box ,wipers were the same air, if I remember there was a metal bar across front of bunk to stop you Rollin out, wish I had some photos but sorry none

if I remember right a BMC 7 tonner was about £1700 .basic model. :laughing:

Chris Webb:
Had it got a ■■■ lighter and a cab light?

Hiya…and a good set of cab lights not a glimmer from behind you so you still
couldn’t see nowt… in the ERF,s you needed to move a wire in the juction box
else you needed to leave all your side lights on to have a read when it was dark.
these foreign trucks will never take off.that was the word English makers said.
John

try renovating 88 89 for 5300 pound it is a never ending pit rgards rowly

jerry truckartist:
Just done a google search, thats £65.000, at todays retail price…
Jerry

Hey Jerry, not so cheap for those days,as they now offer you a Scannie G serie with over 400hp from 75000 € ( EURO) on.
But that shows how difficult it has become on the market,and you can’t sell a better lorry for a higher prise as an other today. Because all are good once now,and all have there weaknesses too today.
And nowadays we don’t buy lorries anymore but packages and move for packages and not anymore for quality.

Cheers Eric,

Chris Webb:
Had it got a ■■■ lighter and a cab light?

Hey Chris, Yes it had a cigare lighter (but an option),but the internal cab lighting wasn’t that worth.
One light for the driver and the collleague had to work on the touch. And the sleeper in the bottom bank had to do the same.

Bye Eric,

Davidoff:
One mystery to me: the invoice says “electric windscreen washers”, but the photo of SFU 509H (the second motor in the fleet?) still has the wipers ABOVE the windscreen - were those not the pneumatic ones and they only went electric when moved underneath the windscreens in 1972 or so?
Unless by washers they don’t mean the wipers but the water supply but I think that was not electric either, but a little foot-press pump on the floor left?
For the more senior lads on here, do you remember operating this little device? Photo taken on an early model registered Nov 1968.

Hey David, the washers were real electric,stupid you had to wait for electrich wipers nearly 10 years later.
It wasn’t Always the most comfortable but the most manoeuvrable to drive,no rattles,nice stearing and gearchanging system. And which could give you such a nice bed in those days?? The only which could withstand it was a Scania vabis and even it had a better heater too.

Cheers Eric,

Davidoff:
One mystery to me: the invoice says “electric windscreen washers”, but the photo of SFU 509H (the second motor in the fleet?) still has the wipers ABOVE the windscreen - were those not the pneumatic ones and they only went electric when moved underneath the windscreens in 1972 or so?
Unless by washers they don’t mean the wipers but the water supply but I think that was not electric either, but a little foot-press pump on the floor left?
For the more senior lads on here, do you remember operating this little device? Photo taken on an early model registered Nov 1968.

Hey David, the washers were real electric,stupid you had to wait for electrich wipers nearly 10 years later.
It wasn’t Always the most comfortable but the most manoeuvrable to drive,no rattles,nice stearing and gearchanging system. And which could give you such a nice bed in those days?? The only which could withstand it was a Scania vabis and even it had a better heater too.

Cheers Eric,
A Fuller driver is a happy driver

adr:
Having been lucky enough in my early 20s to get to play with an F88, just on UK general, never took 1 across the water, then going on to drive Space-cabs/Globetrotters/Toplines etc both right/left hookers on UK/European, if I was offered a F88/89 or FH12/16, I have to say it would be a hard choice! Take speed-limiters out of it so they were both muzzle-free, yes the modern toys give you the ability to stand up at night to pull your trousers on & off, but you could have a roof-lift put on the 88/89, take away all the electric crap of the modern wagon which eventually goes wrong anyway, l have never personally suffered any long term damage from spending years winding a window up & down! I think the 88/89 was just as capable wagon, those of you with more mechanical knowledge than me would know if it would be possible to shoe-horn a 500 lump of some kind into a 88! & the 1 thing that the 88/89 was capable of was that terrible word that is rarely used in Road Transport nowadays, IT WAS FUN! Or am I just being a soppy old romantic?

Hey ADR, you have right to tell this story it was reality of course then there was inconvenience but nowadays the more I think. And of course we needed some more comfort but NO electronics.
And last but not least we came overthere too with only 250hp and there was time for a cup of tea as you wanted it and not dictated by law.
By the way strange changement with this site today difficult to find my way,of course I left school at my 13th and almost a halve century.

Cheers Eric,

truckerash:
I haven’t got a pic of that original F88, but I’m led to beleive this was the second one thatGeoff bought the following year. Contracting to Trailer Express.

hey Truckerash, With such a lorry against an Atkinson in the late '60’s.It must have give you a big head, But we were shown a match by the Germans to ours because of their very more comfortable cabs after they got the updated begin’60 models with a tilt cab now and more room. Only MB 1620/1920 and the Büssing’s were the peliculiars with nice cabs in the mid '60’s

Cheers Eric,

Hiya…and you’d fill her up for £30 i bet… even less with a few gallon of cherry
John

I copied this invoice from Geoff Gilbert. It was for his very first F88.
Check it out…luxurious cab, 270bhp and even plated for 48 tons in 1969 ! On the road for just £5.323. A bargain I’d say!

Anyone got any other “interesting” invoices etc??

truckerash:
Check it out…luxurious cab, 270bhp and even plated for 48 tons in 1969 ! On the road for just £5.323. A bargain I’d say!

I’ll have one!! :sunglasses:

Ross.

I haven’t got a pic of that original F88, but I’m led to beleive this was the second one thatGeoff bought the following year. Contracting to Trailer Express.

Painting to spec, £55 :open_mouth:

Electric wipers and heater as optional extras, these lads don’t know they are born today :stuck_out_tongue:

Impressive 'aint it! It even had electric windscreen washers… whatever will they think of next? :unamused:

truckerash:

sod that they never even taxed it … send the bugger back i say … :open_mouth:

Jerry

jerry truckartist:
Jerry

Nice one Jez. That’s still very cheap for a new Volvo today!

Wheel Nut:
Painting to spec, £55 :open_mouth:

Electric wipers and heater as optional extras, these lads don’t know they are born today :stuck_out_tongue:

I think Andrew must have painted it!!!