£5.300 FOR A BRAND NEW F88 ! those were the days!

Had it got a ■■■ lighter and a cab light?

truckerash:
Impressive 'aint it! It even had electric windscreen washers… whatever will they think of next? :unamused:

Luxury! My first ‘up the road’ motor (Albion) had one of those little hand push screenwash plungers with plastic sack/bag that held about a pint of water. :sunglasses:

:slight_smile: One of Gilberts early 88s, dont know the reg but maybe this was what just over 5 grand got you… :slight_smile:

One mystery to me: the invoice says “electric windscreen washers”, but the photo of SFU 509H (the second motor in the fleet?) still has the wipers ABOVE the windscreen - were those not the pneumatic ones and they only went electric when moved underneath the windscreens in 1972 or so?
Unless by washers they don’t mean the wipers but the water supply but I think that was not electric either, but a little foot-press pump on the floor left?
For the more senior lads on here, do you remember operating this little device? Photo taken on an early model registered Nov 1968.

i have a invoice of the first truck crossroads truck and bus sold,it was a f86 dated 26.11.67…3,748,less discount…700…totel 3,048…this was lent to me by the parts manger.i will get it copyed and put it on here befor i give it back.

Davidoff:
One mystery to me: the invoice says “electric windscreen washers”, but the photo of SFU 509H (the second motor in the fleet?) still has the wipers ABOVE the windscreen - were those not the pneumatic ones and they only went electric when moved underneath the windscreens in 1972 or so?
Unless by washers they don’t mean the wipers but the water supply but I think that was not electric either, but a little foot-press pump on the floor left?
For the more senior lads on here, do you remember operating this little device? Photo taken on an early model registered Nov 1968.

i had to fix them bloody things when working for a one transport leeds.trying to get the sweep right was nightmare when the moter was knackered :cry:

keith 2:

Davidoff:

i had to fix them bloody things when working for a one transport leeds.trying to get the sweep right was nightmare when the moter was knackered :cry:

I remember those air wipers, and them bloody vacuum things on a Ford 100E. When you put your foot down the wipers stopped :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
When you put your foot down the wipers stopped :stuck_out_tongue:

But BOY, did they fly on the over-run :sunglasses:

Ross.

Volvo used the air wipers up until they facelifted the interior in 1976/77,

Have look at A ONE TRANSPORT site you will see a invoice for the first truck crossroads truck and bus sold in 1967 ,a f86

These new fangled foreign motors wont catch on

Having been lucky enough in my early 20s to get to play with an F88, just on UK general, never took 1 across the water, then going on to drive Space-cabs/Globetrotters/Toplines etc both right/left hookers on UK/European, if I was offered a F88/89 or FH12/16, I have to say it would be a hard choice! Take speed-limiters out of it so they were both muzzle-free, yes the modern toys give you the ability to stand up at night to pull your trousers on & off, but you could have a roof-lift put on the 88/89, take away all the electric crap of the modern wagon which eventually goes wrong anyway, l have never personally suffered any long term damage from spending years winding a window up & down! I think the 88/89 was just as capable wagon, those of you with more mechanical knowledge than me would know if it would be possible to shoe-horn a 500 lump of some kind into a 88! & the 1 thing that the 88/89 was capable of was that terrible word that is rarely used in Road Transport nowadays, IT WAS FUN! Or am I just being a soppy old romantic?

jerry truckartist:
Just done a google search, thats £65.000, at todays retail price…
Jerry

How much was a poxy Atki in those days - double?

Stupot:
Volvo used the air wipers up until they facelifted the interior in 1976/77,

Ummm. I had a 72 and a 74 F88 and they were electric, and while the 72 may have had them retro fitted, the 74 came with electric ones.