A 14 Overtaking Ban

Well, you only have yourelves to blame. Pulling out to pass a truck doing 1 mph less than you and having 3 miles of traffic held up in the outside lane .The highways agency are looking to ban lgv’s from overtaking on stretches of the A14 next year for a trial? period next year.

nice…that means you will just have the muppet car drivers who do 60 all day in the second lane slowing that down instead of trucks overtaking

There wouldnt be any tailbacks because of trucks struggling to pass each other on the limiter.

Just drive at the legal 50mph.Then if you catch something up.Just accelerate around it,then drop back down to the legal speed, Which 99% of hgv drivers break 100% of the time.
Tony b

Just drive at the legal 50mph.Then if you catch something up.Just accelerate around it,then drop back down to the legal speed,

That’s the whole point - you cannot ‘accelerate around’, you are stuck behind the law-abiding driver.

tallyman:

Just drive at the legal 50mph.Then if you catch something up.Just accelerate around it,then drop back down to the legal speed,

That’s the whole point - you cannot ‘accelerate around’, you are stuck behind the law-abiding driver.

So what happens if that “Law Abiding Driver” is doing 40mph :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The results of the overtaking ban on the M42 are soon to be published, apparently journey times for cars on this stetch have been reduced by :question: ,

5 seconds :confused:

On my way from Huntingdon to Camberwell tonight, I stuck to 50 mph along the A14 to Cambridge, as normal. Cambridgeshire Police reckon they are looking for, and have been known to pull, speeding trucks on the A14. :wink:

Would you believe it - only three LGVs overtook me. :open_mouth:

The rest stayed behind me. I almost felt like shouting ‘YEE HA!’ and singing the old Convoy theme tune. :laughing:

When I got to Cambridge, I set the cruise control to the ‘clog-it’ position, for a change. I had passed the three that overtook me before I got to Duxford! (My FM12 really does seem to claw along :confused: )

I really can’t be bothered to overtake on the A14. And it seems I’m not alone with this thought. It’s such a pain in the arse. Half of the time the inside lane is moving faster anyway! If I do catch up with another vehicle, I’ll happily sit behind it so long as it’s doing 50ish. :sunglasses:

i dont use lane 2 to overtake
i use it so i can maintain a safe distance between me and what i was following

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

disgo:
Well, you only have yourelves to blame. Pulling out to pass a truck doing 1 mph less than you and having 3 miles of traffic held up in the outside lane .The highways agency are looking to ban lgv’s from overtaking on stretches of the A14 next year for a trial? period next year.

Well I think it’s an excellent idea and should be implemented countrywide on all 2 or more lane roads including motorways. Wagons do cause major congestion when they’re having their elephant races and quite frankly it [zb] me right off being stuck behind a Rover driver in the outside lane doing 57 mph because a 56.5 mph wagon has pulled out to pass his 56 mph mate.

Bring it on.

Rob K:

disgo:

Well I think it’s an excellent idea and should be implemented countrywide on all 2 or more lane roads including motorways. Wagons do cause major congestion when they’re having their elephant races and quite frankly it [zb] me right off being stuck behind a Rover driver in the outside lane doing 57 mph because a 56.5 mph wagon has pulled out to pass his 56 mph mate.

Bring it on.

RobK, move to Germany then mate, theres no end of no overtaking bans on trucks :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

It’s outrageous to have to sit at 40mph for miles and miles and there wouldn’t be so many elephant races if variable speed limiters were introduced instead of this stupid Europe wide practice. It is blatant anti truck legislation, if it was on the grounds of safety all vehicles would have limiters.

Let’s have a guess shall we .
I reckon it will be between kettering and brampton hut . Then St ives to the M11 at peak times . Same in the opposite direction .
It’s always been a problem road . I don’t know why they just don’t look to widen more sections and eventually try to make the ■■■■ thing into a motorway .
Big project yup , but so what .Only 29 months left to add an extra lane to que in at luton :laughing:

Big Joe:
The results of the overtaking ban on the M42 are soon to be published, apparently journey times for cars on this stetch have been reduced by :question: ,

5 seconds :confused:

Noticed over the last couple of days that i must have missed an ammendment to this ban?? since it now seems that the overtaking ban does not apply to 8 wheeler tipper drivers :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

paul@midway:
Let’s have a guess shall we .
I reckon it will be between kettering and brampton hut . Then St ives to the M11 at peak times . Same in the opposite direction .
I

insider.trucknetuk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2218

FTA understands that the proposed lorry overtaking ban would be introduced in 2007 between junctions 0 and 1 eastbound near Welford and junctions 1 and 2 westbound near Kelmarsh in Northamptonshire.

I have no objection to this in principle but why do they have to restrict us just to make up for the fact that it was built wrong in the first place, should have been three lane from day one, usual story, down to a price not up to a standard :unamused:

Funny thing now,everyone on here seems to stick to the legal speed limit of 50 mph.Where are all the morons doing 55.9,56,3 and 56.4 mph overtaking each other depending on their weights and the terrain. Oh, i know they have just pulled into the next lay by.

No actually you are wrong there mate . I sit on the limiter on dual carriageway’s when it suit’s me .

Noticed over the last couple of days that i must have missed an ammendment to this ban?? since it now seems that the overtaking ban does not apply to 8 wheeler tipper drivers

Well why would it? It’s not as if the Highway Code does.