4.5 hours driving

If i drive for 4 and a quarter hours then take a 45 minute break. . . . . what happens to the other 15 minutes driving i should of been allowed :question:

Have i lost them :question:

Or do i add them onto my driving time at the end of the day :question:

Been told 2 different answers so far :astonished:

HELP

Once you’ve had 45 minutes break you can then drive for another 4.5 hours, at which point you need another 45.

If you did that you would have 15 minutes driving left of your 9 hours or 1 hour 15 minutes of a 10.

Not really sure what you mean about adding the 15 minutes to the end of the day. But once you have taken a 45 minute break or combination adding up to 45, that period of driving is over and you start a new period of up to 4.5 hours.
and you can continue to do this in you daily shift providing you total driving hours don’t exceed 9 hours per day or 10 twice a week

add them on but dont do 4 and threequarters

4and a quarter 45mins rest

4 and a quarter 45mins rest

1 and a half end of driving

total 10hrs which you can do 2 times a week the others being 9hrs.

but dont forget if you do 9 hrd and 5 mins that counts as a 10 hr driving day and no you cant add on the spare minutes to the next day

timborosso:
Once you’ve had 45 minutes break you can then drive for another 4.5 hours, at which point you need another 45.

If you did that you would have 15 minutes driving left of your 9 hours or 1 hour 15 minutes of a 10.

perfectly explained :wink: (and totaly correct)

They were all good answers!

did i say otherwise!

Heres another, if I can explain properly, drive 2 hours and automatic tacho switches to break for 1 hour but you only want this stop to count as a half hour break, but don’t change the symbol to other work say even though your just sitting there, i.e. getting tipped. drive 2 1/2 hours take 15 minute break, drive 4 1/2 hours, job done.

i.e. you have had enough breaks but would they be petty and say the symbol was wrong? or your 4 1/2 hours was reset after 1 stop, you get me?

That would be illegal in the eyes of the law, you can’t take an hours break but say you only want it to be 30 minutes.

or your 4 1/2 hours was reset after 1 stop, you get me?

Yep, that is how it would be.

If you wanted the first break to only be 30 minutes you would have to alter the mode switch to other work after 30 minutes and leave it there and that way you could just take 15 later, bit of a con but it would be legal. Another one of those strange ones were you would be illegal for in effect having too much break.

I know silly isnt it.

Silver_Surfer:
automatic tacho switches to break

Am I reading this correctly or is it simply the way it is phrased.

Are you assuming that your tacho changes to break without you changing the settings, or are you simply leaving your tacho set to break for the whole day?

New automatic tachos show rest symbol when stopped and switch to drive symbol when moving without manually pressing button. Volvo 04’s.

If you switch the tacho to other work, the square, before starting driving each time you stop it will still be on the square and you need to press the button to turn it to bed for a break. If you don’t change it to other work all you will be recording all day is driving and resting. This applies to the new style tachos as fitted to Volvos, among other makes.

So when you are doing your vehicle checks, when you are securing the load, getting the paperwok, fuelling, and all the other things associated with driving, you are actually showing yourself as being on break.

Not recommended, and definately unlawful.

The issue has been raised on here before, and to be quite honest, you are leaving yourself wide open should anyone choose to do a ‘thorough’ check of your charts.

get an Hour Guard - certainly saved my skin this week; trunking about with stops and starts and coffees here and trailer drops there with driving inbetween. just set off to go toward Bedford and the little thing bleeped its heart out, so I just pulled up where I was for the last 15 mins to make 45 mins, as I was 5 mins short (ie took 40 mins break not 45 as I incorrectly thought!)

Yeah that seems to be the best way to go coffee putting it on other work to begin with. The whole fleet of about 20 new volvos is on break to begin with krankee and were talking about a half billion pound a year firm here lol. The other chaps prolly take their block 45’s though as there not in any hurry, I like to get it done though which is why I try and take my breaks in split blocks of 15 or 30 whilst getting tipped. I have an hour guard so going over my hours isn’t a problem.

Krankee:
So when you are doing your vehicle checks, when you are securing the load, getting the paperwok, fuelling, and all the other things associated with driving, you are actually showing yourself as being on break.

Not recommended, and definately unlawful.

The issue has been raised on here before, and to be quite honest, you are leaving yourself wide open should anyone choose to do a ‘thorough’ check of your charts.

Ken… there’s no need to get so stressed :exclamation:

As long as you’ve got a spare tenner in your pocket come prosecution time then you can run as bent as you like. :bulb: :smiling_imp:

Silver_Surfer:
Yeah that seems to be the best way to go coffee putting it on other work to begin with. The whole fleet of about 20 new volvos is on break to begin with krankee and were talking about a half billion pound a year firm here lol. The other chaps prolly take their block 45’s though as there not in any hurry, I like to get it done though which is why I try and take my breaks in split blocks of 15 or 30 whilst getting tipped. I have an hour guard so going over my hours isn’t a problem.

Any vehicle with the new style tacho will start the day off as “break” the first thing you should be doing is switching to “other work” when the tacho goes in, then when you start to drive it will automatically begin to record driving, it is then up to you to switch to “break” when you are on break then back to “other work” when you have finished.
With regards to tipping on break, if you catch a ministry man on a bad day you may well end up with a ticket.
They set up camp outside felistowe once and were pulling drivers as they were coming out of the docks, only to find that there tachos had been recording them “on break” when they were in the docks being loaded.
There are times when you tip “on break” especially with container work, when you may have a handball load which is going to take 4 hours to tip, and you are having a kip or watching tv, reading a book etc for this time and showing as “on break” this type of scenario you will get away with.
But as has been said before, if you just leave you tacho on “break” all the time then all you are recording is “rest” and “driving”, something you are likely to get a slap on the wrists for.