Ten hour driving

Hi all in the no

got a qustion think i know the answer but just like it clarifying

I use most of the time, all my 10 hour drives up each week, and was thinking I know that when you get to 4.5 hours driving you have to take a break of 45 minutes, but say your using you tenth hour at the end on the hour, if you use it would you have to take a break of 45 minutes, or can you continue to say do other work as in the job I do we have to load when back at base and that’s other work

I think you don’t but just like to confirm my thinking on this

You only have to take a break each time you reach 4.5 hours driving so if at the end of the 10th hour you have not accumulated 4.5 hours driving since your last break then you can do other work before the end of your shift.

Drive 4.5 hours
45 minute break,
Drive 4.5 hours
45 minute break
Drive 1 hour
1 hour other work

That would be legal

Drive 3.5 hours
45 minute break
Drive 2 hours
45 minute break
Drive 4.5 hours
1 hour other work

That would not be legal. You would have to take a 45 minute break before doing the 1 hour other work in that case.

thanks mate for that its just that my tacho tells me a break is due for the 4.5 hour but if your in a ten you get no warnings

delboytwo:
thanks mate for that its just that my tacho tells me a break is due for the 4.5 hour but if your in a ten you get no warnings

You won’t do as no break is due just for reaching 10 hours driving.

You can use the head to tell you your total daily drive - just stop and wait for 2 minutes - then press ok ,ok, scroll down to display driver 1 and press ok make sure the date is todays date and then ok again - scroll down using the up down buttons and when you reach the bottom it’ll show the O with the dot in the center and your daily drive to the minute
you then know how much time you have left
cheers
Steve
ps if you press ok about 5 times it’ll print it for you as well

gm:
You can use the head to tell you your total daily drive - just stop and wait for 2 minutes - then press ok ,ok, scroll down to display driver 1 and press ok make sure the date is todays date and then ok again - scroll down using the up down buttons and when you reach the bottom it’ll show the O with the dot in the center and your daily drive to the minute
cheers
Steve
ps if you press ok about 5 times it’ll print it for you as well

yes mate I know that but one thing if your on other work while looking at the display the last activity will not be there tll you put it on break

for instance say you been driving for 9 hours 41 minutes. and your on other work at the time you look on the display to see your total drive time it mite say 6 hour 10 Min instead of 9 hours 41 minutes it got something to do with the current mode your on and as your on other work at the time the head unit as not updated yet, also printing of to see you total drive time if you have not change the mode to rest it will only show the last amount of driver time I know this cos I took a print out at 9 hour 41 but the printout said 6 hours 10 minutes it only change when I put it on break

but thanks for your input

delboytwo:
yes mate I know that but one thing if your on other work while looking at the display the last activity will not be there tll you put it on break

for instance say you been driving for 9 hours 41 minutes. and your on other work at the time you look on the display to see your total drive time it mite say 6 hour 10 Min instead of 9 hours 41 minutes it got something to do with the current mode your on and as your on other work at the time the head unit as not updated yet, also printing of to see you total drive time if you have not change the mode to rest it will only show the last amount of driver time I know this cos I took a print out at 9 hour 41 but the printout said 6 hours 10 minutes it only change when I put it on break

but thanks for your input

Doesn’t have to be on break Del, you just have to, as gm said, wait until it has recorded 1 minute of a different mode, POA, other work or break - which can take up to 2 minutes. Once it shows one minute of another mode on the display then it will report the correct driving time. In the case you mentioned above you took the printout too quickly after stopping. Next time just leave it on other work and wait for a couple of minutes then both the display and printout will show the correct driving time.

If you are using the Siemens unit just press the down arrow once and when the display in the bottom right hand corner shows 1 minute then the correct driving time will be available via display or printout.

Hi if you wait 2 minutes the head updates itself - you have to be stopped for 1 minute the mode doesn’t matter - i always use 2 minutes to make sure - like you say until its updated it will read the last mode -
but its easy enough to look while stopped over 1 minute and if it reads 6’11 you know you have to be stopped within the next 3’49 so you just use the down arrow when driving and it’ll say 3’29 - so you start looking for your stop
there are ways and means -
one of the better is a ‘drivers hours guard’ it does all you want and could be you best investment
cheers
Steve

gm:

That’s good advice. One point to note is if you are on a night shift it will only report the driving since midnight UTC and not that done before. I had a PM conversation with a member over an infringement he had received who had started work at 00:15 BST and ended up driving for a nearly 30 minutes over his 10 hours despite checking the display at regular intervals. The problem was he started at 00:15 BST which is 23:15 UTC and started driving at 23:30 UTC and when he checked his daily driving on the display later in the shift the 30 minutes from 23:30 UTC to midnight UTC wasn’t included.

gm:
one of the better is a ‘drivers hours guard’ it does all you want and could be you best investment

The Hours Guard is a good tool but it doesn’t handle tacho breaks correctly, but neither does the digi unit for EU regulations, or for that matter WTD breaks so it cannot be relied on 100%.

Coffeeholic:
The Hours Guard is a good tool but it doesn’t handle tacho breaks correctly, but neither does the digi unit for EU regulations, or for that matter WTD breaks so it cannot be relied on 100%.

Is this the only industry that has a lot of regulations where the equipment that is supplied for those that have to comply with the regulations is not fully fit for purpose :question:

In this technological age how come up to date software cannot be programmed into these devices :question: