Tacho break law

Hi folks I know having just past my test 4months ago I should know this
And i’ve tried to make sense of the direct gov web site but Im still non
The wiser !!
Do you have to take a 45 min break after 4.5hrs driving and/or if you have been on
Other work? And say your waiting to off load after an hours driving or more if manage to
Get 45min break in your 4.5 hours start again?
And last thing the break can be split into 3 15min breaks or 2 20min and 1 10 min■■?

TheFan46:
The wiser !!
Do you have to take a 45 min break after 4.5hrs driving and/or if you have been on
Other work? And say your waiting to off load after an hours driving or more if manage to
And last thing the break can be split into 3 15min breaks or 2 20min and 1 10 min■■?

yes you HAVE to take a 45 min break after 4.5 hours driving, if you havent done 4.5 hours driving, but have worked 6 hours of your shift, you have to have a 30 min break, which comes under work time directive i think.

if your waiting to off load after an hours drive, and you decide to have a 45 min break while waiting, your 4.5 hours driving starts again, providing you have enough that much driving ime left.

a tacho break can no longer be split into 3 x 15 min breaks, you can do 15 min and 30 min or a straight 45, but if you split your break, the 2nd break period MUST be 30 mins minimum

TheFan46:
The wiser !!

Dont put pressure on yourself to know everything!

selby newcomer:

TheFan46:
The wiser !!

yes you HAVE to take a 45 min break after 4.5 hours driving, if you havent done 4.5 hours driving, but have worked 6 hours of your shift, you have to have a 30 min break, which comes under work time directive i think.

if your waiting to off load after an hours drive, and you decide to have a 45 min break while waiting, your 4.5 hours driving starts again, providing you have enough that much driving ime left.

a tacho break can no longer be split into 3 x 15 min breaks, you can do 15 min and 30 min or a straight 45, but if you split your break, the 2nd break period MUST be 30 mins minimum

Almost spot on that. Just a small point to add - if you reach the 6 hours of duty time without the 4.5 hrs driving, the 30 mins break that must be taken if working 6-9 hours, (45 mins if over 9), can be split into 15 minute blocks. So you only have to take 15 minutes at 6 hours and can take the rest later during the shift if you wish, and will often be taken care of by a driving break anyway :wink:

selby newcomer:

TheFan46:
The wiser !!

yes you HAVE to take a 45 min break after 4.5 hours driving, if you havent done 4.5 hours driving, but have worked 6 hours of your shift, you have to have a 15 min break, which comes under work time directive i think.

Fixed That For You. You’re welcome.

My personal advice -

Forget the WTD/working hours stuff - no authority is bothered about it

Concentrate on the driving time breaks as well as the daily and weekly rest requirements

You could always go on a driver cpc course for drivers’ hours and tachos. A hellofalot cheaper than the fine!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
You could always go on a driver cpc course for drivers’ hours and tachos. A hellofalot cheaper than the fine!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

And a very good idea for all newbies to this industry

Pity that the initial dcpc module 2 is not a test on this instead of the silly senarios

ROG:
My personal advice -

Forget the WTD/working hours stuff - no authority is bothered about it

No but plenty of companies are bothered about it and as a new driver the op needs to show that he knows what he’s doing if he hopes to keep a job.

It’s easy to say ignore this that and the other, but you wont be the one explaining to a new boss why you’ve got two pages of infringements in your first weeks employment and why you should be given another chance.

@ TheFan46, Have a read of the “Rules on Drivers’ Hours and Tachographs”, hopefully it will answer some of the questions you may have :wink:

Coffeeholic:

selby newcomer:

TheFan46:
The wiser !!

yes you HAVE to take a 45 min break after 4.5 hours driving, if you havent done 4.5 hours driving, but have worked 6 hours of your shift, you have to have a 15 min break, which comes under work time directive i think.

Fixed That For You. You’re welcome.

thanks coffee :blush:

Cheers for the info guys been doing the odd saturday tipper driving so you never really do a full 4 hours driving before a break as I’ve been sat for between 1 to 2 hours waiting to tip so have just flicked it on to break and after 45 mins onto other work I did forget on my first run out And I’d left it on break for the 2hours I was waiting :frowning:

TheFan46:
I’d left it on break for the 2hours I was waiting :frowning:

Perfectly legal if you were not actually doing other work

i thght we had to take 30 mins after 6 hours under working time directive, so thanks for clearing that up, its 30 mins before 9 hours

ROG:

TheFan46:
I’d left it on break for the 2hours I was waiting :frowning:

Perfectly legal if you were not actually doing other work

thats good to know last thing i want is an arse kicking for a mistake.the stories i’ve heard about people getting massive fines or worse for dropping a clanger makes me a bit paranoid :blush:

Pops77:
i thght we had to take 30 mins after 6 hours under working time directive, so thanks for clearing that up, its 30 mins before 9 hours

RT(WT)R 2005 Breaks

15 minutes break before exceeding 6 hours working time.

30 total break/breaks if your working time is between 6 and 9 hours (15 minutes of this should be before exceeding 6 hours working time).

45 minutes total break/breaks if your working time exceeds 9 hours (15 minutes of this should be before exceeding 6 hours working time).

These breaks may be split into separate parts of no less than 15 minutes each.

At no time during the shift should your working time exceed 6 hours without a break of at least 15 minutes.

These breaks should not be taken at the immediate start of shift or at the end of the shift, breaks for the working time regulations should interrupt the shift.

Pops77:

Only if you will have a maximum of 9 hours work in the shift. If you will be doing more than that you can take 15 minutes before exceeding 6 hours work then the next break isn’t required until before the end of the shift or another 6 hours work, whichever comes first.

TheFan46:
Cheers for the info guys been doing the odd saturday tipper driving so you never really do a full 4 hours driving before a break as I’ve been sat for between 1 to 2 hours waiting to tip so have just [zb] it on to break and after 45 mins onto other work I did forget on my first run out And I’d left it on break for the 2hours I was waiting :frowning:

Youre on tippers and waiting 1 to 2 hours to tip!! Christ when i was on tippers if i waited that long to tip my boss would have had a bloody heart attack or at least been on the phone giving someone a ■■■■ good bollocking :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Al

possibly not to do with tacho but what is the maximum time you can work in one day? so for example can i start at 7 work in the yard til 3 then drive 4.5 have 45mins break and then do 2.5 hours driving? ive been told maximum of 13 hrs per day and twice a week raised to 15? is this right if not can some one explain the proper way please thanks

jimmypk:
possibly not to do with tacho but what is the maximum time you can work in one day? so for example can i start at 7 work in the yard til 3 then drive 4.5 have 45mins break and then do 2.5 hours driving? ive been told maximum of 13 hrs per day and twice a week raised to 15? is this right if not can some one explain the proper way please thanks

Depends what you mean by “work”, I assume you mean the time from the start of the shift to the end of the shift ?

Within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift you should have completed a regular daily rest period of at least 11 hours, so you could have a total shift length (start to end of shift) of 13 hours (24 hour period minus 11 hours daily rest period = 13 hours).

The daily rest period can be reduced to no less than 9 hours 3 times between weekly rest periods, this would allow you a shift length (start to end of shift) of 15 hours (24 hour period minus 9 hours daily rest period = 15 hours).

jimmypk:
for example can i start at 7 work in the yard til 3 then drive 4.5 have 45mins break and then do 2.5 hours driving?

In that example you start the shift at 07:00 and finish the shift at 22:45 (if I’ve got the sums right) giving a total shift length of 15 hours and 45 minutes, now consider that by 07:00 the following morning (24 hours from start of the shift) you have to have completed a 9 hour reduced daily rest period (if you have one available), you cannot do it because you’ve got 15 hours 45 minutes shift length and 9 hours reduced daily rest which is a total of 24 hours and 45 minutes.
The 24 hour period from start of shift finishes at 07:00 on day 2, so you have only had 8 hours 15 minutes daily rest (22:45 to 07:00) which is illegal.

By the way this is completely to do with the tachograph regulations.

Hope this helps :wink:

jimmypk:

The example you give above would be illegal:

Start at 07:00 'till 15:00
Drive 4.5 hrs which takes it to 19:30
45 mins break which takes it to 20:15
2.5 hrs driving takes it to 22:45

You have to fit in a break of 11 hours, or a reduced break of 9 hrs before 24 hrs has elapsed from when you started your shift. So you started at 07:00 and need to fit either a 9 or 11 hr break - finishing at 22:45 only leaves you 8.25 hrs before 07:00 and is therefore illegal.

Try not to get into the habit of thinking about 13 or 15 hrs shifts - this is simply the amount of hours left after a full or reduced rest.

Eg: if you work for 13 hrs you have enough time left within the 24 hrs since starting your shift to fit in a full break of 11 hrs. If you work even 1 minute more than this, it is a reduced break, and to fit in the minimum reduced break of 9 hrs, you only have 15 left to work.

It is not 13 hours raised to 15, it is a full rest of 11 hours, which can be reduced to 9 hrs. This can be done 3 times between 2, weekly rest periods.