confused

Hello. Bit of an amateur question that’s probably been answered 100 times but I have only recently passed my Cat C and haven’t yet done my CPC.

But im curious to know if I drive for 4.5 hours do I HAVE to have a break?

OR could I drive for 4.5 hours then do 1.5 hours other work? Without any break so 6 hours in line with with working time directive. Does that make sense? I understand that once 4.5 hours driving is done I CANNOT do any more driving for 45 minutes but confused about the above scenario.

Please don’t be to harsh I am new to this!!

You only have to have a break before doing any more driving. Its quite ok to do 4.5 and then other work as long as you dont go over the 6 hour mark without a 15 minute break.

Once you’ve driven for 4½ hours you should have a 45 minute break, once you’ve reached 4½ hours driving you cannot legally do any other work until you’ve had a break.

Article 7 (EC) 561/2006

After a driving period of four and a half hours a driver shall
take an uninterrupted break of not less than 45 minutes,
unless he takes a rest period.

Page 17 Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs

Breaks

After a driving period of no more than 4.5 hours, a driver must immediately take a break of at least 45 minutes unless he takes a rest period.

Not many drivers do exactly 4.5 hours driving - most will do just under that so doing 1.5 hours other work would be ok for the tacho regs

ROG:
Not many drivers do exactly 4.5 hours driving - most will do just under that so doing 1.5 hours other work would be ok for the tacho regs

Doing 1½ hours other work after 4½ hours driving, which is the question, does not comply with the tachograph regulations, if you think it’s “ok for the tacho regs” perhaps you could show us where the regulations say so ?

It is however true that doing exactly 4 hours 30 minutes driving before stopping isn’t something you’d do very often.

tachograph:

ROG:

Doing 1½ hours other work after 4½ hours driving, which is the question, does not comply with the tachograph regulations, if you think it’s “ok for the tacho regs” perhaps you could show us where the regulations say so ?

It is however true that doing exactly 4 hours 30 minutes driving before stopping isn’t something you’d do very often.

I said JUST UNDER THAT meaning 4 hrs 29 mins or less

Once again I bow down to Tacho and ROG. Didn’t remember that one, although now pointed out it does ring a bell.

Thankyou Tachograph great answer, thankyou gor clearing that up to ROG