2nd Class 2 test failure - OMG

Having failed my first test on the 13th Feb by knocking over a pole on the reversing exercise, I was “luckily” able to get a cancellation in Norwich this morning @ 0830. Having failed on my reversing the first time, I invested in 2 hours training to get it right this time. Also had 2 hours drivearound starting at 0630 to get myself bedded in before the test. All went well, even managing to get round a couple of killer junctions without a problem. Nervous but looking forward to test:

First minor doing the vehicle checks when I waffled about the wheel nuts & indicated the hub nuts!!
Reversing went smoothly - cracked it in one with no shunts (training paid off!!) :smiley:
Then out on the road - examiner a bit strict (not chatty like the last one) - could see he was making the odd mark which played on my mind - what was I doing wrong?
Went for a steep hill start which I balls up by being in the wrong range - 5th instead of 2nd and from there onwards my mind seemed to go blank. (1 serious)
Clipped a kerb (thought it was a drain cover) at the Heartease roundabout (2nd serious) then got caught by a car at the next roundabout which flew out from the left as I was moving off - I blocked him (another serious)
By this stage I was definately rattled & picked up 3 minors for hesitation - the examiner then proceeded to take around the industrial estates with all the sharpest corners (sigh) and I was just hoping to get back to the test centre in one piece. Finally, turned into the centre 7 parked up & was read the final tally:

3 serious + 15 minor as follows:
1 vehicle checks
2 control (gears)
2 parking brake
1 move off
1 use of mirrors (change direction)
2 change of speed
1 use of speed (was over 30 mph limit - thought it was 40 :unamused: )
3 undue hesitation (had been spooked at roundabout)
1 Judgement (meeting)
1 awareness/planning

All in all, feeling thoroughly wretched & a complete ■■■■ - will probably drown my sorrows tonight. Would appreciate comments (esp from others who have failed) or attractive job offer back in sales & marketing :blush:

Crapsticles :open_mouth:
Think you’ve been put through the wringer!
All I can do is second that idea of yours to have a stiff drink.

Will leave it for the big guns with all the training and driving experience to come on and help you break things down and formulate a plan.

GL,
Jon

go and get ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ asap and crack on…you only need to pass it once,then you can forget everything and drive normally

If both you and your instructor deemed you were test ready then I can only surmise that you had a whole brain ■■■■ for the duration of the test

Similar story my friend.

C+E here.

I passed C in 08,08,97. , but never driven, only small maneuverings in the yard where i use to repair them.

Last year Booked a C+E test. got mis sold and instead of 20h got 12h. No way i was ready in only 8h and warm up on the day. Never driven a lorry before.

17 minors
One serious ( blocked a car on Big ■■■ roundabout)

Doing new test in 5 days, this time i’m ready, i think.

Sad part is, even tho i invested over 3k into this new career, becoz of no driving experience bullcrap i might never be a driver. Even living in london and driving Van for past 10 years.

Just dont give up. it is hard but i think when you pass it will be worth it. ( i fakin hope.)

That ■■■■■ mate. Sorry to hear it.

Pick yourself up and try again. Don’t give up, you’ll get there.

There are 2 examiners at Norwich one who is chatty and helps you relax and the other who all the local trainers dislike , it sounds like you had the second and having had him for my class c (he made me adjust my big offside mirror so he could see better which meant I then lost a mirror for the rest of my test) the other examiner is definitely better .
I know there is a big debate over manual or auto but have you thought have having a go in the auto it takes a lot of the worry about what gear to be in off you when taking your test .
The big thing is your trainer wouldn’t put you in for the test if he didn’t think you could do it and now you have mastered the reverse you’ve just got to adjust for roundabouts and junctions and on your test they are luck of the draw as to what traffic you do or don’t get .

I passed on the third time!

first time something to do with approaching roundabout in not the best way (something to do with positioning) was mainly the thing that did it for me

second time was actually cancelled as another truck broke down in testing yard :smiley:

third time passed :slight_smile:

PS this was back in the 80s though perhaps these days I’d fail about ten times before getting it

PCV passed first time so with full motorbike licence

And its not just just the failing the test its the expense of it all , but keep going youll get there …

:frowning: Unlucky gutted for you ,As ROG said you might of just had a bad day ,

I done 16 hrs training and only got 3 minors and passed first time :laughing: just to RUB it in but keep at it :wink: there was a guy at the driving school I used he failed 5 times :open_mouth:

4th time for me mate. First 3 tests I had 1 serious on each plus a few minors,so don’t worry about it.

It sounds to me that you were naturally worried about your test. The problem is confidence. You noticed the examiner doing a little pen gymnastics,and then it all went to pot.

The trick is to ignore him/her. Try and imagine the test as another lesson,only this time,its a new ‘instructor’ sat beside you. Just try and ‘impress’ this new instructor. Its unrealistic to imagine you will get a ‘clean sheet’. A pass is a pass,no-one in the world gives a toss how many minors you get.

Subject to finances,get it booked asap and get on with it. Its all about your mindset. Good luck with it.

This is surprising I thought majority passed 1st time.

I nearly let the examiner making marks on the sheet bother me but I forced myself to block it out and focus.

Don’t worry about them putting marks down. I kept wondering this through the test, going through my mind what I had done to merit a mark. I asked the examiner at the end, and he explained that as well as putting down marks, he was also doing a check list about about what he had asked me to do, such as hill starts, etc… Good luck with your next attempt.

Passing the Cat C test is about 2 things. The ability to control the vehicle (fairly obvious) but mostly a mental strength. It’s about having a plan and sticking to it. As an example on roundabouts your plan might be to never pull out if you can see another vehicle on it. Another plan might be when moving away from the kerb to not indicate until no more cars are trying to pass you. The point is you should have a plan for all situations and never deviate from that plan.

Consistency is the key. Do the same few things the same every time you face the situation. Practice this repetition technique in your car before the next test. Approach traffic lights at the same speed every time. Slow down for hazards the same way every time. It becomes automatic eventually.

The examiner makes several marks on the top copy of the test report that you don’t get to see. He will probably write the time you pull out of the test centre to remind him when the test should end. He will certainly make a mark each time he asks you to pull over and stop. Again to remind him of the progress of the test. Ignore everything he does but listen carefully to what he says. There are lots of clues in his words ie which lane to use etc.

If there were no other vehicles on the road the test would be easy, so keep away from the other vehicles. Keep well back from those in front and watch the buggers behind who definitely don’t want to be behind you.

Above all be confident and truly believe you will pass. Believe your effort will be the best he has ever seen. It might well be.

I’ve only ever had 4 clean sheets in 33 years and the last one was with a guy on his 3rd attempt.

Good luck with it.

LGVTrainer:
I’ve only ever had 4 clean sheets in 33 years and the last one was with a guy on his 3rd attempt.

Good luck with it.

well said, especially the above :slight_smile:

I passed first time with all my tests (car, motorbike, PCV) except for the HGV1 why?

I think in hindsight I know why, the examiner made a ‘snarky’ remark about women driving trucks and rolled his eyes upwards when he got in the cab with me, yes he did, and he was not even joking :frowning:

I was 19 and as my son (who is 19 right now) would say ‘I was young and stupid’ HAHAHAHA
these days I may put in a formal complaint about it but back then it just put me off and crushed all my confidence,
I already had a huge confidence issue anyway at that age so that little I had on the day he crushed it!
this hugely affected me on the day, every second of the test his face and rolling of eyes was in my head.

considering I did quite well to be honest but not well enough to pass.

when I retook the test and passed the examiner I had was different and to my knowledge behaved like he would have done wit anyone else: professionally and even had a big smile at the end when he told me I passed :slight_smile:

I hope the Pole was not hurt too seriously, did he need hospital treatment ?
It took me three times to pass my test, due to nerves and a worn out give way marking on the road.
Driving heavy machinery and trailers on the farm, when I was young didn’t make any difference to being out on busy roads.
Try Kalms , a natural remedy to sooth nerves.

Gillberry:
I know there is a big debate over manual or auto but have you thought have having a go in the auto it takes a lot of the worry about what gear to be in off you when taking your test .

Just my 2p but I’m doing my Cat C training at the moment in an auto, and I’m really glad it’s not manual.

I actually don’t think I could manage it in a manual, just too many things at once and too much to think about.

And as they say, you learn to drive after your test.

htmldude:

Gillberry:

Just my 2p but I’m doing my Cat C training at the moment in an auto, and I’m really glad it’s not manual.

I actually don’t think I could manage it in a manual, just too many things at once and too much to think about.

And as they say, you learn to drive after your test.

what? an automatic truck? did they exist 25 years ago? :grimacing:

I think that would confuse me even more to be honest, I ‘need’ to change gears or I’m feeling lost, even when I was a learner I had to have gears :smiley: but if it helps others then good :slight_smile:

sorry to hear, I felt the sinking feeling as I was reading it. I bet the examiner was a bit to do with it. Its not nice having a strict examiner it straight away makes u feel uneasy! O well onwards and upwards, I hope you get there soon :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the replies & encouragement chaps. Going to take a break for a month or two (house move coming up shortly & I don’t need the stress) but was then considering trying a residential 5 day course on an auto. I’m happy with gears and my general driving but for the test I need to be perfect on the day and anything that helps me will be a load off.

In the meantime, I have a p/t job delivering bread couple of mornings per week in a 3.5 tonner. Mainly palleted & the handballing is v.light - even better are the hours, starting at 0300/0400 & finished by 1000 ish. Decent runs down to the M25 from Norfolk as well… :slight_smile: