Cat C failure

Failed my C category today (sigh) in Norwich. Screwed up the reversing exercise by not applying full lock fast enough (right hand down) so knocked over the far side post in the reversing bay. :blush: Knew at that point that it was a failure but decided to go on with the test as good practise. Examiner was chatty & informative which helped to lighten the mood. Picked up 6 minors in the following categories:

1. Move off (safety) x2 (can’t remember what he said about those)
  2. Move off(control) x1 (had left range change in high then faffed causing delay when moving off)
  3. Use of mirrors - MC rear obs x2 (was checking blind spot after mirrors as moving slowly away)
  4. Junctions (Observation) x1

However, picked up a serious at a roundabout having waiting ages for a break watching right, moved off then got stuck in a small yellow hatched box on the NW quadrant of the roundabout without checking exit was clear (oops). So would have failed even without the ■■■■-up on the reversing. Ah well, all good exercise for my next booked test on March 31st. Bit gutted but appreciate where I went wrong. Interestingly, the examiner was helpful in telling me to straddle lanes at one junction & also to cut in on bus lane early to turn left (“as no bugger will let you in otherwise”)

Comments & advice much appreciated :slight_smile:

Don’t let it bother you mate-my first test I drove superb,only real issue I had was touching,(not mounting) a bloody kerb. Serious fault,fail. I then failed a further 2 times before I passed. Been driving class 2’s 12 months now without even scraping a post so don’t worry about it. You will get there! Some examiners are more tolerant than others. Luck can play a big part on your test day.

Upwards and onwards, good experience cannot be knocked and the examiner gave some good pointers so you’ll be a much better driver next time. And when you get out there you’ll be that much better again.
Good luck!

that’s a shame mate, hopefully you’ll nail it next time

Make sure you’re not burnt out for your test. Take a couple of days off and give it a go. You’ll pass.
Good luck mate

Which roundabout ■■ , I failed at the heartsease one three times !!! It’s a complete arse !! Most people don’t indicate and it’s not much bigger than a mini roundabout on the ring road !!!
Good luck for next time fella

Don’t think it was the heartease - I remember that we were heading towards Ipswich, turned off into a suburban area - did a downhill start then at the bottom of the hill, there was this quite small roundabout (with a yellow hatched area). Already booked my nest test on the 31st March but hoping for an earlier cancellation. Not working atm so free to go at a moments notice :slight_smile: Hoping to book a separate 2 hour session just to keep me hand in and concentrate on getting the reversing right… :imp: Anyway - thanks for all your support - much appreciated (and it’s nice to know that others have been in the same boat)

Oh dear…! I know the feeling mate. Next time we’ll nail it. Feel sorry for you. I’ve been to Norwich a few times and town centre can be a nightmare during rush hours. Good luck next time :smiley:

I’ve already forgotten about my spectacular ■■■■ up. I am now mentally stronger and ready for the next round. I am sure you will be do much better yourself too.

Sorry to hear that but they reckon the best drivers fail first time :smiley: . My instructor said If you’re not sure you’ll make the reverse “Don’t be a c##t, take a shunt.” Good luck next time. You’ll do it.

Atleast you know your error(s) and can work on those next time…you won’t make the reverse error again I will guarantee it!

Examiner sounded like on of the good ones that are out there. I had my C test in ipswich and the examiner was very chatty just like my instructor so it enabled me to just drive as if it was my instructor in the cab and therefore I was very relaxed.

My artic test was totally different, the examiner was a right bell end, only spoke to give instruction and had a nasty habit of changing his mind on directions at the last minute. He eventually “caught me out” and I got a serious fault. I argued it back at the test centre as I only had 3minors but without a witness in the cab I didn’t stand a chance.

The Norwich test centre has a nice guy which it sounds like you had and the other one :slight_smile:
My Class C was with the not so nice one and my c+e was with the nice .

13 years ago I passed cat c on my 4th attempt then took c+e a week later and passed with flying colours no marks what so ever, don’t worry about it you will get there just relax into it don’t forget Mirrors move head to check so it looks like you doing it that’s what I was told
Good luck with it