1st experience of agencies (bad)

Hi all,

Well, having passed my C+E last week, i decided it might be a good idea to get registered with some agencies in my area (Hull, East Yorks.). First one i tried, i actually registered with when i passed my Class 2 last month, and im still waiting to get in to see them and actually speak to someone. My application is still “pending” on their website (DriverHire).

2nd Agency I tried, Prestige Recruitment, I fired off my CV over the bank holiday weekend and a young lady called me yesterday lunchtime to ask me to call in so they could get me registered and get me out there doing some work! I thought it sounded very positive, so I told them i would take some time off work and that I would call in around 4.30-4.45pm today. I re-organised some family stuff, worked my lunch at work, travelled half hour through rush hour traffic on A63 into Hull City Centre, paid 2 quid to park my van, and finally arrived at the agency at 4.45pm. After I explained who I was, and what I was there for, they then proceeded to tell me that the two people who could deal with my registration had already left and gone home. I informed them I had taken time off work to come to the appointment, and they just shrugged their shoulders! They then called the guy I was supposed to be seeing, and he told them to tell me to come back another time, or if i wanted i could fill some forms in. Great! What a fantastic professional company! :angry: :open_mouth: :confused: :imp: :imp:

They were due to close at 5.30pm, and appeared to be getting things in order ready to go home, so I asked for the forms and sat there until 5.25 filling them in, just to see if i could annoy them :slight_smile: Apparently, the guy is going to ring me tomorrow to arrange an interview… (yeah, the one i should have had today) I hope for his sake the FIRST thing out of his mouth is an apology for the poor conduct of himself and his colleagues today, otherwise he might get an ear-full (I know, I know… I should bite my tongue and take it all lying down in the hope they toss me some morsel of crappy work…)

Ah well, rant over… Just ■■■■■■ me off as if I treat someone like that in my current job (customer facing, customer service type role) i’d get my balls lopped off… :open_mouth: :smiley:

i hear what your saying but remember you are asking these people to employ you

Steve - check this out - trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57291

Tossa’s

doesnt suprise me to be honest try another and dont upset em as although they deny it they phone other agencys up telling storys it shouldnt happen but there sneaky C**ts but alas we have to use them be polite if he rings up and just ask for a apology but to be honest & even though i am one hgv drivers are 2 a penny to them as long as they get there commission there happy sorry but take fair crap but dont let them treat you like crap as soon as you start pandering to them theyll be ringing you all hours hence why there ads say days nights any time and the new one there coming out with drops at the employers discrection sadly whilst i never expected hgv driving to be 9-5 im afraid ive had first hand at there tattics plenty of them around so find one that treats you with a bit of respect rather than just another number to call

Oddly enough where I was today they were short of 7.5t drivers and every agency they called had no-one! Even the available class 1 drivers would not do the job at class 1 rate!

Warren T. Claim:
Oddly enough where I was today they were short of 7.5t drivers and every agency they called had no-one! Even the available class 1 drivers would not do the job at class 1 rate!

There seems to be quite a few jobs round here at the mo, but I just haven’t got the experience required :frowning: plenty advertising for drivers though…

SteveP:
Hi all,

Well, having passed my C+E last week, i decided it might be a good idea to get registered with some agencies in my area (Hull, East Yorks.). First one i tried, i actually registered with when i passed my Class 2 last month, and im still waiting to get in to see them and actually speak to someone. My application is still “pending” on their website (DriverHire).

2nd Agency I tried, Prestige Recruitment, I fired off my CV over the bank holiday weekend and a young lady called me yesterday lunchtime to ask me to call in so they could get me registered and get me out there doing some work! I thought it sounded very positive, so I told them i would take some time off work and that I would call in around 4.30-4.45pm today. I re-organised some family stuff, worked my lunch at work, travelled half hour through rush hour traffic on A63 into Hull City Centre, paid 2 quid to park my van, and finally arrived at the agency at 4.45pm. After I explained who I was, and what I was there for, they then proceeded to tell me that the two people who could deal with my registration had already left and gone home. I informed them I had taken time off work to come to the appointment, and they just shrugged their shoulders! They then called the guy I was supposed to be seeing, and he told them to tell me to come back another time, or if i wanted i could fill some forms in. Great! What a fantastic professional company! :angry: :open_mouth: :confused: :imp: :imp:

They were due to close at 5.30pm, and appeared to be getting things in order ready to go home, so I asked for the forms and sat there until 5.25 filling them in, just to see if i could annoy them :slight_smile: Apparently, the guy is going to ring me tomorrow to arrange an interview… (yeah, the one i should have had today) I hope for his sake the FIRST thing out of his mouth is an apology for the poor conduct of himself and his colleagues today, otherwise he might get an ear-full (I know, I know… I should bite my tongue and take it all lying down in the hope they toss me some morsel of crappy work…)

Ah well, rant over… Just ■■■■■■ me off as if I treat someone like that in my current job (customer facing, customer service type role) i’d get my balls lopped off… :open_mouth: :smiley:

Sounds normal to me. One rule you need for agencies is always double-check everything and get names of people you spoke to (and ideally get it in writing too, although I realise that isn’t practicable in most circumstances). I’ve had what happened to you happen to me on a couple of occasions and I learnt then to call them prior to setting off to check that we were still on (both for ‘interviews’ and jobs arranged more than 12 hours ago). Invariably you’d get told the job had been cancelled and “I was just going to call you about that” (yeah right). Agencies are just leeches that do as little as possible while they sit on their arses watching the money roll in from you doing all the graft. You need to use them for your own benefit, not the other way round. If you let them call the shots they’ll mess you around no end. All they’re bothered about is bums on seats - anything else they’re not interested in.

Also, if you’ve had your licence a while you need to be economical with the true about your experience. If you passed your test a month then you need to tell them you’ve been driving for that time. Don’t tell them you don’t have any experience because you won’t get any work except the really [zb] jobs that they can’t get any other [zb] to do (100 multi-drop parcel deliveries round x big city, or furniture/appliance home deliveries, etc etc).

Hi SteveP

Just another thought for you - As has been said many times we get called at all sorts of hours to go and do a job. That means that the agency are also working all hours as that’s the way it is with agencies. A company may need a driver at the drop of a hat at 03:00 and they call the agency who then calls you.

I have found that considering the agency works crap hours too they not too bad really. I’m sure they get many drivers who just tell them to ■■■■ off so just put that experience aside and go and see them again

Good luck