Agencies.....you gotta love em!

Hi all :smiley:

i passed the class 1 test on halloween and since getting my licence back from dvla i’ve been doing some work for local agencies, a mix of class1 and class2 so far which is great for gaining experience, done some class1 trunking and worked for a removals company the other day driving their huge class2 truck (good fun apart from the lugging of boxes :laughing: ).
Signed up with the agency on the basis that i do not want a perm full time job or any of the temp to perm stuff, i just want to work from 7am starts to 4pm starts and anywhere in between these times, no stupid earlies or nights, so was well hacked off with them yesterday when they gave me misleading info about a job they sent me for :imp: ,
basically i went for an assessment drive (class1) with the company, thinking they just want to check out the newbie before they let me loose, the drive went fine (although reversing needs much practice) so was well happy with that, but was not so pleased when i was told “right youre in on monday 4am start (having been told by the agency that it was a 7.30am start) ,then after 13 wks temp/trial youre “in” perm full time”.
Anyhow briefly explained to the boss at the yard that this may be a problem and left, i phoned up the agency and basically tore them a new rear end down the phone for not only wasting my time and the contractors time but their own time too by sending the wrong man for the wrong job, At this point i was a little worried that i would just get fired from the agency for refusing the work and yelling at them down the phone.
Not so, i guess this bit shows the fickle nature of agencies as my refusal of the job had dropped them right in the ■■■ giving them no time to find a replacement driver, what i got from them was this “how do you fancy doing christian salvesen 7am monday morning” , could not beleive they would just send me somewhere else, but no complaints with that one.

I think there is a couple of good things i learnt from this:
firstly, BEFORE going on any job make sure you have all the CORRECT info about the work, start times, pay etc.
and if the agency sends you for a job you dont want dont be afraid to refuse it as they are so fickle they may just send you somewhere else.

btw the assessment drive was great fun, never driven a full auto before it was hilarious watching my left leg searching for the non existent clutch pedal :laughing:

many apologies for the long winded post, just thought i would share this little story with you all

regards
J

Yea, my agency asked if I could do a quick trip to Bracknell. Where’s that I asked. Just below Birmingham I was told. You should be back by tea. Thirteen hours later I arrived home just in time for my cocoa.

kerbclipper:
Hi all :smiley:

i passed the class 1 test on halloween and since getting my licence back from dvla i’ve been doing some work for local agencies, a mix of class1 and class2 so far which is great for gaining experience, done some class1 trunking and worked for a removals company the other day driving their huge class2 truck (good fun apart from the lugging of boxes :laughing: ).
Signed up with the agency on the basis that i do not want a perm full time job or any of the temp to perm stuff, i just want to work from 7am starts to 4pm starts and anywhere in between these times, no stupid earlies or neenights, so was well hacked off with them yesterday when they gave me misleading info about a job they sent me for :imp: ,
basically i went for an assessment drive (class1) with the company, thinking they just want to check out the newbie before they let me loose, the drive went fine (although reversing needs much practice) so was well happy with that, but was not so pleased when i was told “right youre in on monday 4am start (having been told by the agency that it was a 7.30am start) ,then after 13 wks temp/trial youre “in” perm full time”.
Anyhow briefly explained to the boss at the yard that this may be a problem and left, i phoned up the agency and basically tore them a new rear end down the phone for not only wasting my time and the contractors time but their own time too by sending the wrong man for the wrong job, At this point i was a little worried that i would just get fired from the agency for refusing the work and yelling at them down the phone.
Not so, i guess this bit shows the fickle nature of agencies as my refusal of the job had dropped them right in the ■■■ giving them no time to find a replacement driver, what i got from them was this “how do you fancy doing christian salvesen 7am monday morning” , could not beleive they would just send me somewhere else, but no complaints with that one.

I think there is a couple of good things i learnt from this:
firstly, BEFORE going on any job make sure you have all the CORRECT info about the work, start times, pay etc.
and if the agency sends you for a job you dont want dont be afraid to refuse it as they are so fickle they may just send you somewhere else.

btw the assessment drive was great fun, never driven a full auto before it was hilarious watching my left leg searching for the non existent clutch pedal :laughing:

many apologies for the long winded post, just thought i would share this little story with you all

regards
J