Agencies (again)

hi there

i am researching the agency work universe to see what i can realistically except as a driver for whom driving is a second job. Obviously i am going to google and just email / call / visit everyone. I am thinking whether kind people on here can bother and recommend some agencies as well doing the opposite - name some which should be avoided.

cheers

Where are you?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Indeed, sorry. Brentwood, essex

Priest:
Indeed, sorry. Brentwood, essex

There’s always a branch or two of Driver Hire and The Best Connection - the first you can sign on with more than one branch, as they divide by postcode area, and the second you sign on with only one. Not sure what other agencies are in your area, though Blue Arrow do some driving work and some small agencies do as well.

Call them to have a chat. Tell them what experience you’ve got, and hopefully they’ll be honest with you about the opportunities they have on their books.

I had various responses - some said I would have to do Class 2 for a while before being let loose on Class 1, some said they wouldn’t be able to place me without experience, some weren’t that interested in me being part-time (2 days a week). However, one agency managed to get me an excellent rookie placement driving artics with their experienced drivers for a few weeks where I learnt the basics. Another is now finding me regular Class 1 work despite being short of the 2 year experience requirements.

Keep trying, don’t give up.

thanks for the replies

Orc - can you name / PM the angencies from your post? No problem if you do not wish to though

I honestly can’t remember them all, there were several and they aren’t in your area so it probably won’t help as agency work is very much a local business. I also cannot remember which said yes/no/maybe/get lost, I suspect that was also branch responses rather than company policy. Sorry.

Just google for driver agencies in your area, and/or find the local branch and call them. The worst they can say is ‘no’.

no worries and thanks for getting back :slight_smile: