Agencies

I’ve registered with a few agencies who say they can get me some class 2 work experience but again they said it a bit quiet at the moment we will ring soon !
I’ve been honest with them saying I’m looking to gain experience etc
I’ve applied for jobs online but still no luck !!
I will keep trying.

That’s the world of agencies for you mate. You call them and every single one will tell you the same thing. “Oh we can get you as many shifts as you like. We have more shifts than drivers. We can have you out 5-6 days a week. No problem”. Then after you’ve signed up the phone never rings. and don’t be fooled by the ad looking for drivers for a specific contract. They don’t exist and it’s just to get you on there books
I’m an agency driver and I prefer It for the flexibility it offers but it comes at a price. I’m lucky in that my agency does actually seem to have shifts. But I’ve been with some who were “desperate” yet never called with shifts.
Just keep plugging away and join every single one you can. But agencies struggle to get new passes work. It’s unfair but that’s the way it works unfortunately. Maybe lookin for a full time job would be better for experience?

I signed up with my agency for a specific contract they were advertising. Signed up on the Friday and started on the Monday (1st December) and still doing it. Passed Class C a couple of weeks before so guess I’ve been quite lucky. That and being a few weeks before Christmas helped I’m sure…

Stick at it and as said register with as many as you can. I’m with 5 at moment and waiting for another 3 to process. They are getting me work, even turned work away as some was van work, told then it’s C or at very least C1 and I’d think about C1 if offered, they found me C so can argue with work offered.

Had to turn rest of this week down as got interviews for permanent work.

Works there but takes a while and many registrations to come through. Call on firms personally and hand out CVs - that’s how I’ve got my interviews this week by turning up on their doorstep

I signed up last Tuesday for saturday work had a call on Thursday asking if I could work that saturday …which I did…i did state I only wanted to do about 5/6 drops …ended up with 19 …but it was a 2 man team …friday will tell if it’s worth it when I get paid …

Fingers crossed a bit more trying
I was thinking of working away for a bit get cheap flat just to get experience most of the class 2 seems to be out of town.
My Class 1 licence I’m wanting to do will be when I get my redundancey money.

Shane129:
I signed up last Tuesday for saturday work had a call on Thursday asking if I could work that saturday …which I did…i did state I only wanted to do about 5/6 drops …ended up with 19 …but it was a 2 man team …friday will tell if it’s worth it when I get paid …

You don’t know how much you’re being paid for the job ?

If it’s agency then you will, or should get min 8hrs. I use that to work out what I’ll get depending on rate they offer. Then I decide to accept it or not. for Sat you should get a higher rate than weekday. You must know what rate they offered before you took the job surely ?

I not looking at the money just yet just want some experience on my cv to help

Learn to be creative on a CV as well. Helps to get in the door!

dcgpx:
Learn to be creative on a CV as well. Helps to get in the door!

I’ve just be honest looking for experience !
What do you surgest would help ?

Well depends on what you have or haven’t done so far. Thing is to leave it open but DO NOT lie!

On mine I have :

During my time spent driving LGV’s I have had experience of Multi-drop Deliveries. My experience
has involved driving vehicles with Curtain-sides, Drop-Sides and Solid-bodies both with and without
tail-lifts.

For the work history :

Multi – riving Agency Registration (Present)

Short term Cover at short notice
Covered C1 and C driving duties
Mutli-drop
Pick-up
Load/Unload and secure loads
Yard Shunting Duties

Now I don’t have a lot of experience in these but I do have experience just I’m not saying how much! Keep it open ended. It’s better than saying I’m looking for experience

Thanks for the advice I’ve modified my cv a bit .
Just waiting on agencies.
Hope its Easyer when I get class 1 (joke)

Don’t wait on them, keep sending text/emails every week telling them your availability otherwise you drop down their lists. I feel like a stalker at times pestering them but it pays off

dcgpx:
Don’t wait on them, keep sending text/emails every week telling them your availability otherwise you drop down their lists. I feel like a stalker at times pestering them but it pays off

Yeh I’m on it next week got my list ready to ring !
Handed my cv in with licence etc on to a company advertising drivers needed but all maned up ! Still I gave it to them good luck :slight_smile:

Best way, have a day and travel round industrial estates where you know transport companies are and hand cv out. It got me my interview and job I start Monday by doing the rounds that way. Hope you find something soon yourself

dcgpx:
Best way, have a day and travel round industrial estates where you know transport companies are and hand cv out. It got me my interview and job I start Monday by doing the rounds that way. Hope you find something soon yourself

I keep reading about doing this but don’t understand why anyone would do it, to me if a company have trucks stood because of no drivers there the one’s to stay away from because they either work bent or only pay £7 per hour. I see people say go monday morning in case someone not turned up if they think that much of there staff that when someone maybe ill they give his job to someone off the street then how will they treat you. If you are a new driver find out what work there is before getting your license not after, don’t listen to people saying there’s a driver shortage like in december when nobody got anything for christmas there isn’t.

Not saying it’s because of trucks stood, might be in some cases that your points are valid.

The job I’m starting Monday I got by going round firms. Maybe I was lucky in that the firm just got 2 more long term work contracts and are expanding their fleet. They are getting 3 more rigids and 2 artics are due early summer. So I got an interview and was offered a job which I’m grateful for.

Wandering round companies isn’t everybody’s cup of tea, they may want to just email/pick up phone but I prefer in person approach, there’s plenty of evidence from others it’s worked for them as well.

Demographics plays a major part, if not work available no matter how many times you visit you’ll draw a blank . But I wasn’t prepared to sit and wait so went right up to doors and asked. And same with my other post went overkill on agency to get work but I got work and experience to help me land the job I start.

A lot of company’s may use agency to fill the gap until they decide to take a permanent member of staff on and if your the person there already then you may get asked but I get impression a lot of guys turn up on agency do the work and leave without asking why are they using agency and is there a chance of full time work

Maybe alot of agency drivers pefer to work agency, i know i did