Desperate for HGV drivers

This is a bit different I suppose, but call me old fashioned if you like but I reckon paying top dollar and treating your workforce with respect will entice more drivers than
Sharon and her saggy baps!

the maoster:
Sharon and her saggy baps!

They could instead pay £100 cash joining bonus and then drivers can pick their own sharon(s) from AW. Oh wait they already pay you if you get a start at ES & the like.

So long as the money’s good it doesn’t need to be up in the stratosphere, what’s just as important is to be appreciated and respected and treated as a responsible person capable of doing their job without being micro managed or expected to be some sort of bloody robot.
Drivers like everyone else are individuals, each have different strengths and weaknesses, a good TM would utilise the strengths of the workforce to get the best out of them, that way the company runs efficiently so profitably so there’s money for decent wages and employees get that all important job satisfaction, everyone’s a winner.

Most unusual way to recruit, it’s not a front for a knocking shop is it? i won’t be calling the number advertised…except from a call box :smiling_imp:

The number of agency’s who have contacted me in the past 4-6 weeks is astounding, it’s on par with the annual pre Xmas run up. I haven’t dealt with any of them in over 5 years so they must be digging out the bottom of the filing cabinet

If they want a three some, I will drive the truck for free. But my dcpc has expired Lol

That’s a first, wonder if your tramping do they guarantee to empty the bag once a week

Same here with agencys from years back contacting me , but during the spiel they tell me about the job i cut in and ask whats the rate and thats where it all ends
I see rates increasing a little but way off what it should be

I’ve had a couple of agencies contact me.

All very enthusiastic- until I tell them MY rates.

It all goes quiet then. They moan they cant get drivers, then offer 12 quid an hour on mids/lates/nights.

They might wake up, maybe.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

peirre:
The number of agency’s who have contacted me in the past 4-6 weeks is astounding, it’s on par with the annual pre Xmas run up. I haven’t dealt with any of them in over 5 years so they must be digging out the bottom of the filing cabinet

I posted a few weeks ago that I was contacted by an agency offering me continuous work.I have been retired seven years!And glad I did.

7.5 tonne and van multi drop ‘drivers’ wanted.The agency guvnor said do whatever it takes. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

In case anyone cares, the women are from Frontline Europe / BWN Group at Felixstowe. As noted above, it’s an agency.

Truckulent:

It all goes quiet then. They moan they cant get drivers, then offer 12 quid an hour on mids/lates/nights.

Similar story round here. “We can’t pay them rates! We don’t even get that from our clients!”. Well best go tell your clients no can do and the reason why. :bulb: The tide hasn’t turned yet and I doubt it will. Still too many thick drivers willing to work for peanuts, like that clown “grandpa” on here a few weeks back working for £11 something in Rugby and the agency guy I got chatting with on the pumps pulling for British Sugar out of Newark for £9/hr on nights. “Agency told me that’s the most they can pay”. Aye righto.

Juddian:
So long as the money’s good it doesn’t need to be up in the stratosphere, what’s just as important is to be appreciated and respected and treated as a responsible person capable of doing their job without being micro managed or expected to be some sort of bloody robot.

Being appreciated, treated with respect and being treated as a responsible person isn’t something that’s not allowed to be done at the companies that pay the big money. In fact I’d say I was appreciated more and treated with more respect and as being responsible at the market leading multi-billion turnover company I’m at than at any of the types of companies you approve of. If there’s any who have demonstrated no appreciation, no respect and to treat you as an idiot it’s the exact types of companies you always bleat on about being the best.

Personally I’ll take big money and being treated like a robot. Big money means I can work less and have more life. Big money means not worrying about bills, not even having to think about the money when you want to spend a few hundred quid or a few thousand quid on a toy, big money means a more comfortable retirement.

Appreciation, respect and being treated like a responsible adult is all well and good but if it doesn’t pay the bills or you’ve got to spend more time at work than home to meet your bills then it’s not worth working there.

DCPCFML:

Truckulent:

Similar story round here. “We can’t pay them rates! We don’t even get that from our clients!”. Well best go tell your clients no can do and the reason why. :bulb: The tide hasn’t turned yet and I doubt it will. Still too many thick drivers willing to work for peanuts, like that clown “grandpa” on here a few weeks back working for £11 something in Rugby and the agency guy I got chatting with on the pumps pulling for British Sugar out of Newark for £9/hr on nights. “Agency told me that’s the most they can pay”. Aye righto.

I got this one a few days ago

Job offer

We are offering the below incentive to all new drivers for the Wincanton Heineken Contract out of Redhouse in Woodlands Doncaster.

shifts required is for days, nights and weekends, the driver most been flexible and do some weekends as and when required.

Rates of pay is £12.09 for days or nights as this rate is based on comparable rate as a fulltime driver for Wincanton’s.
Weekend rates are £14.00 per hour and £16.00 for Sundays PLUS a bonus

This is to be paid in two parts:-

After full completion of all shifts for first 6 full weeks - £300.00
After full completion of all shifts for week 7-12 - £200

To receive the bonus you most complete 5 days per week that’s it ? not only will you working you will receive a bonus for doing so.

peirre:

DCPCFML:

Truckulent:

Job offer

We are offering the below incentive to all new drivers for the Wincanton Heineken Contract out of Redhouse in Woodlands Doncaster.

shifts required is for days, nights and weekends, the driver most been flexible and do some weekends as and when required.

Rates of pay is £12.09 for days or nights as this rate is based on comparable rate as a fulltime driver for Wincanton’s.

To receive the bonus you most complete 5 days per week that’s it ? not only will you working you will receive a bonus for doing so.

Scandalous.

The other place I’ve done shifts for did pay a better hourly rate. (£15/hr w/d on agency).

They’re now advertising for full timers (none agency) and they’ve increased the pay to just over £13/hr. But, they still can’t get drivers. And yet still, they wonder why…

peirre:

It’s all good until you find out these are ltd rates or umbrella (no hol + weekly fee payable to the umbrella) or some other dodgy crap. Also what if you (completely accidentally of course) have a shift cancelled and can’t qualify for the 100% completion rate?

In my limited experience the places which treat you like crap are the ones with high staff turnover rate where drivers just become faces after a while rather than names and actual people. I can name a few but let’s say they mostly do undercut pallet multidrop with trucks barely maintained, organizational chaos from top to bottom etc. You can usually sense these out from day 1.

There are a couple of multinational supply chain companies which I can think of which generally offer good pay and pension and have an excellent framework in place to a large degree. They then proceed to completely spoil it by the management and office staff they choose to hire. The framework isn’t followed and the local staff do what they like to a large degree. Turnover of drivers through the roof and the local staff are trying get rid of drivers rather than retaining them. Such and such is getting **** over because he looked at me the wrong way last week kind of thing. Somebody has had an accident and every man and his dog has had a look at the footage before the driver has even had an opportunity to ■■■■ in the wind kind of thing.

peirre:

Job offer

They’re so stupid. There’s nothing there that piques my interest. No-one except idiots are going to fall for their 12 week old carrot. Just put the weekday rates up by min £2/hr and bring the weekend rates into this century and their phone will probably ring. £14 for Sats and £16 for Suns? Come on man. DHL and XPO pay over £22 for Suns up here. No-one is going to work weekends for that. Those rates are from the year 2010.

DCPCFML:
Those rates are from the year 2010.

They’re even borderline crap for East Yorkshire and Hull area which is renown for crap rates.

That’s probably a not too bad rate, for a full time driver on days.
IMHO it’s poor for an agency driver working there. OK if you are working full time, but agency drivers are there for the busy times, holiday and sick cover. As soon as work slackens off, the agency bods are the ones left looking for work. Therefore they should get a higher rate than the full time employed drivers, for the cushion to cover unpaid days.