Desperate for HGV drivers

The Wincanton rate on the Heineken job is £12.09 on days (straight though I believe)and £13.25 for weekends,the units are based at Redhouse the Loads are out of Tadcaster.
They sub a lot of work out and are advertising on Indeed for drivers every week(the rates are on there to see).
The Morrisons contract at Wakefield pays £12.71ph for Wincanton,this is also advertising on Indeed this week,these are the full time rates not agency.

This just popped up on faceache. I know its an “apprenticeship” and they are putting someone through their test but Jesus wept, 9 quid an hour in Aylesbury :open_mouth: They deliver to our stores and I must say the drivers I have spoke to have said morale has gone through the floor since XPO took over the contract for Arla.

uk.indeed.com

Fuzrat:
This just popped up on faceache. I know its an “apprenticeship” and they are putting someone through their test but Jesus wept, 9 quid an hour in Aylesbury :open_mouth: They deliver to our stores and I must say the drivers I have spoke to have said morale has gone through the floor since XPO took over the contract for Arla.

uk.indeed.com

:open_mouth: :laughing:
This will definitely end well, not ! New drivers, doing arla milk cage work, to stores, in London? :laughing: Talk about being thrown in at the deep end :laughing: . They can’t even get seasoned pro’s to do the work because it’s such an utter ball-ache of a job so their solution is to palm it off on newbies and pay them a pittance? Many of the drops are a challenge to get in to for even experienced drivers with nasty blind side reverses around parked cars, trolleys and bins, all while you have angry impatient car drivers trying to squeeze past you and pedestrians nipping round the back of your trailer as you’re reversing. Imagine that for a complete newbie and let’s add in some rain as well so you can’t see ■■■■ in your mirrors. Oh boy, it’s gonna be carnage!

The site across in Leeds has had permanent ads for drivers for about the past 20 years. There’s about 100 different agencies in there (mostly for the Moran Logistics arm) and none of them can get drivers to last more than a week. The trucks and trailers are in a right state with panels hanging off or missing altogether. :laughing:

DCPCFML:

Fuzrat:

uk.indeed.com

:open_mouth: [emoji38]
This will definitely end well, not ! New drivers, doing arla milk cage work, to stores, in London? [emoji38] Talk about being thrown in at the deep end [emoji38] . They can’t even get seasoned pro’s to do the work because it’s such an utter ball-ache of a job so their solution is to palm it off on newbies and pay them a pittance? Many of the drops are a challenge to get in to for even experienced drivers with nasty blind side reverses around parked cars, trolleys and bins, all while you have angry impatient car drivers trying to squeeze past you and pedestrians nipping round the back of your trailer as you’re reversing. Imagine that for a complete newbie and let’s add in some rain as well so you can’t see [zb] in your mirrors. Oh boy, it’s gonna be carnage!

The site across in Leeds has had permanent ads for drivers for about the past 20 years. There’s about 100 different agencies in there (mostly for the Moran Logistics arm) and none of them can get drivers to last more than a week. The trucks and trailers are in a right state with panels hanging off or missing altogether. [emoji38]

I was warned off Arla work by a much more experienced driver than I just after I passed in 2009.

Sounds like not much has changed!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

It certainly looks bad when they are having to advertise outside for “apprentices” Our warehouse to wheels program is always over subscribed with too many applicants and we need 3 years of spotless record of employment to actually apply. Warehouse there obviously see how bad it is and would rather stay in the warehouse :open_mouth:

Used to be a really good job when they had it in house (talking a good 25-30 yrs back) One of the parents mates worked for them for years, seemed a decent job back then. Remember him saying he used to work 3 nights a week over the weekend, Always had a new motor every year and a decent sized 3 bed in a little Buckinghamshire village. Never be able to do that on the rates anywhere now :open_mouth: :smiling_imp:

Simon:
Rates of pay is £12.09 for days or nights as this rate is based on comparable rate as a fulltime driver for Wincanton’s.

That’s probably a not too bad rate, for a full time driver on days.
IMHO it’s poor for an agency driver working there. OK if you are working full time, but agency drivers are there for the busy times, holiday and sick cover. As soon as work slackens off, the agency bods are the ones left looking for work. Therefore they should get a higher rate than the full time employed drivers, for the cushion to cover unpaid days.

I was told a while back that the agencies were charging £20+ per hour Monday - Friday and more at the weekend.
Clearly not passing it all back to the drivers…
Wincanton driver told me that there has been two rate rises at Doncaster to get it to £12.09 in an effort to try and get drivers for this contract

Soldier z:
Wincanton driver told me that there has been two rate rises at Doncaster to get it to £12.09 in an effort to try and get drivers for this contract

£12.09 in Doncaster area is going to result in a lot of empty seats. Next, Wilkos, Asda, XPO and probably a dozen more all going for the same driver pool and paying more.

Conor:

Soldier z:

£12.09 in Doncaster area is going to result in a lot of empty seats. Next, Wilkos, Asda, XPO and probably a dozen more all going for the same driver pool and paying more.

They’ve had an 11% pay rise over the last couple of weeks to try and attract more people

Decent paying jobs and respectable hours are few and far between,mainly down to the likes of Wincanton DHL etc etc cutting each others throats to get contracts.
Very few large outfits now have "in house"transport because of the likes of the ones mentioned going in with offers of a contract that will effectively cut a Companies wage bill
In a way its backfired on them because not many of the younger generation can afford the training costs, and have no inclination to work any 5/7 shift pattern with long hours including w/ends that affect their social and Family life for a “pittance” of a few quid more than working in Aldi stacking shelves.

heard an interview on thursday on the jvs show on 3 conties radio with the bloke that hired the two ladies, he said that with in half an hour of them standing there the phone was ringing, he only recruited about 20 drivers from it though

Soldier z:
I was told a while back that the agencies were charging £20+ per hour Monday - Friday and more at the weekend.
Clearly not passing it all back to the drivers…

Ok, so the agency charges £20 an hour, clearly not passed on to the driver.
If the agency charges £20 an hour for a driver, and pay that driver £20 an hour, how do they pay their overheads?
Office rental, council taxes, water, electric, gas, phones, business insurance, business income taxes, etc, let alone the office staff wages and everything else.
If the full time Wincanton driver is on £12.09/hr, as an agency man in the truck next to him I’d expect to be on about £15.00/hr. More if I have to put my own money aside to cover my holiday pay, because if I have any sense some of it’ll be put aside for the periods when work runs dry as well

25% of their driver rates to the companies doesn’t seem excessive to me, for running an office. They’ll also have to put money aside for the lean periods. Office staff would presumably be on full time contracts and a wage scale much the same as any other office staff in that area. Plus there will be one on call every night, in case of problems from the drivers on night shift, or a client needs someone urgently because someone has called in sick, or something. It all costs money.

lolipop:
Decent paying jobs and respectable hours are few and far between,mainly down to the likes of Wincanton DHL etc etc cutting each others throats to get contracts.
Very few large outfits now have "in house"transport because of the likes of the ones mentioned going in with offers of a contract that will effectively cut a Companies wage bill
In a way its backfired on them because not many of the younger generation can afford the training costs, and have no inclination to work any 5/7 shift pattern with long hours including w/ends that affect their social and Family life for a “pittance” of a few quid more than working in Aldi stacking shelves.

Calling it a pittance is being generous. I remember my first agency job rate in 2007. £6.50 an hour. Rock bottom min wage - right after spending thousands getting thru both tests. No wonder everyone left.

I’m not a prude by any means, but I find this completely insulting