So now that we're ''rare'' have you noticed change in attitu

in attitude from others towards you? I haven’t - still treated with contempt by other motorists, staff at work/elsewhere, services attendants (not all of them but most) etc. If I wasn’t reading the news and talking to other drivers honestly I wouldn’t have known that there is a ‘‘hgv driver shortage’’

edit to add I might have suspected something as we now get asked to do overtime (6th day) at every opportunity but since it’s summer time I would’ve attributed it to it being the holiday season or agencies putting up their fees to compensate for having to operate under covid regulations

No real change at all that I’ve noticed. A couple of comments about treating drivers better by shop staff, but they are aware of the issues in the supply chain because they aren’t getting all the products / produce and they are aware of the drivers leaving every week.

Noticed a change of attitude from employers, but would not expect any form of gratitude from the general public on the road or otherwise, nor do I care tbh.

Nope.

Actually yes.
There was a driver on antiques roadshow last week circa 1950 and the expert valued him at 4shillings and 4d per hour.
The expert did point out that in todays terms, cost of living etc, a driver should be worth in the region of £25 per hour but did admit that in the real world nobody wanted us and to most members of joe public we are worth f@#k all, until the bog roll and custard creams run out at the corner shop.

No great difference at work. Always been a fairly relaxed atmosphere where we can talk directly to the bosses and office staff. Some jobs are easier than others but if any requests are a stretch, I just say “Ill do my best, but its tight”, and do just that. If it doesn`t go to plan, no recriminations or inquests.
A good place to end up. Those drivers who start here and get itchy feet might find it harder in a pure Hire and Reward company but we all gotta try those moves elsewhere.

I have been treated quite well socially for a while now too.
I wish I was treated worse sometimes…

If I smile at a young ladies now they often smile back.
In a bar young men don`t muscle me away, they allow me a place at the bar.

I wish I wasn`t so bloody old that I remind them of their grand-dads!

Mostly if you treat people you meet politely with decency and respect you get the same back, of course there are exceptions and care in the community has much to answer for, but nothing much has changed in attitude at the places i go to, there’s miserable buggers and thoroughly decent sticks just like there has always been.

The roads and the attitudes of people using them however are getting worse, its probably called progress of some sort, markedly more aggressive out there from what i’ve seen since traffic levels have returned to something approaching pre lockdown levels.

Car drivers have always been a so so mixture, van drivers are now a complete menace presumably the massive increase in home delivery operations having bred a new breed who might as well have been trained up on electric scooters for all the skills on display, but especially noticeable is the further deterioration in the standards of lorry driving, with the competent polite and progressively smooth drivers now more noticeable than ever before for their rarity.

I have crowds throwing roses at my feet when i walk by.

Juddian:
Mostly if you treat people you meet politely with decency and respect you get the same back, of course there are exceptions and care in the community has much to answer for, but nothing much has changed in attitude at the places i go to, there’s miserable buggers and thoroughly decent sticks just like there has always been.

This.
The staff are always friendly and helpful at the places I frequent but I’m the same with them. I did notice a brief improvement in courtesy shown by other drivers during the lockdown when the roads were empty, such as easing off on d/cs when overtaking them, but that has ended and it’s back to ‘normal’ again where there’s absolutely no chance they’ll ease off and try to keep you out there for as long as possible because they suffer from little ■■■■ syndrome and can’t have their ego dented.

DCPCFML:

Juddian:

This.
The staff are always friendly and helpful at the places I frequent but I’m the same with them. I did notice a brief improvement in courtesy shown by other drivers during the lockdown when the roads were empty, such as easing off on d/cs when overtaking them, but that has ended and it’s back to ‘normal’ again where there’s absolutely no chance they’ll ease off and try to keep you out there for as long as possible because they suffer from little ■■■■ syndrome and can’t have their ego dented.

Do you think it is little ■■■■ syndrome or just being genuinely oblivious?

Minor bug bear of mine atm is easing off when you know someone has the run but tgeres no acknowledgement of it because its done gently (ie cruise control) and not dramatically by like anchoring on the brakes

toonsy:

DCPCFML:

Juddian:

This.

Minor bug bear of mine atm is easing off when you know someone has the run but tgeres no acknowledgement of it because its done gently (ie cruise control) and not dramatically by like anchoring on the brakes

Oblivious to what ? The fact that there’s a 20+ deep queue of angry car drivers stuck behind a wholly avoidable rolling road block and they’re unable to make the connection in their thick heads that it’s them who are causing it ? I think that they know exactly what they are doing and it’s pure jealousy that your limiter is “better” than theirs, so they’re going to make life as difficult as possible for you because you’ve got something they haven’t and “it’s not fair”.

DCPCFML:

toonsy:

DCPCFML:

Juddian:

This.

Oblivious to what ? The fact that there’s a 20+ deep queue of angry car drivers stuck behind a wholly avoidable rolling road block and they’re unable to make the connection in their thick heads that it’s them who are causing it ? I think that they know exactly what they are doing and it’s pure jealousy that your limiter is “better” than theirs, so they’re going to make life as difficult as possible for you because you’ve got something they haven’t and “it’s not fair”.

If there is queue of vehicles, why is that?
Is it because the “slow” lane is blocked? Or because the “overtaking” lane is blocked?
So who is responsible who the rolling road block?
I’m not saying those being overtaken shouldn’t back off. Of course they should. But it isn’t one person causing a problem.

DCPCFML:

toonsy:

DCPCFML:

Juddian:

This.

Oblivious in general. Just doing their thing and not looking at the wider picture outside if their bubble. Most drivers of all creeds do it. Not saying that there isn’t an amount of “though shalt not pass me easily”, just that generally I think the standard of awareness of surroundings for anyone driving these days is pretty poor.

toonsy:
Oblivious in general. Just doing their thing and not looking at the wider picture outside if their bubble. Most drivers of all creeds do it. Not saying that there isn’t an amount of “though shalt not pass me easily”, just that generally I think the standard of awareness of surroundings for anyone driving these days is pretty poor.

One might say they’re a bit thick… ? :smiley:

It would appear there’s a change in attitude of some drivers. I reference the ‘Allison’ thread on here.