Failed C+E test 3 times

It’s a difficult post to admit I failed 3 times now (Car to C+E), and I’m in that phase of wondering if I was just never cut out for it. :frowning: :frowning:

First time fail: clipped kerb on roundabout
Second time fail: Didnt take up 2 lanes on small roundabout, so car undertook as I entered roundabout, and I nearly hit it as I turned.
Third Fail: Trying not to clip a kerb on a very tight right turn, I pulled left slightly without checking mirror.

I’m not angry, all valid reasons for failing, mostly mirror issues. I’ve had a think for a couple of weeks now and trying to decide the next move.

Finances are now really tight, so my options are:

1. Give up completely and admit HGV maybe was just never my thing, people are better drivers than me. (Dented ego)
  2. Save up again and take test again in a few months, same instructor, same test centre
  3. Save up again and take test again in a few months, different instructor, different test centre
  4. Try going for Class 2 license instead, as I think most of problems have been trailer positioning and mirrors.

So any advice would be helpful from you guys. I know most will probably say I will have the same issues with a Rigid truck, because of the overhang etc., which could well be true. I didn’t want to go for Class 2 jobs at first, but I’m realising now that beggars can’t be choosers and maybe I’m not cut out for Artics.

My favourite options are 1) or 4)

Thanks in advance for advice

Cheers
Andy

How many minors did you get on average per test :question:

What alternative careers appeal to you? What age are you? Why does driving appeal to you? Do you think you have any particular aptitude for any form of driving?
Just questions that spring to mind - very difficult to answer otherwise.

Try not to get caught up in where you’ve messed up in your previous tests and don’t over analyse.

Only you can decide if this is the career for you but it’s hard not to pressurise yourself because of how much the training costs.

Anything can happen on the test but basically all the examiners are looking for is that you can drive confidently and safely dealing with any hazards that occur in a sensible manner, it’s that hard and easy. I know if you commit any majors you’ll probably fail but as one of my instructors told me the main thing the examiners want is to feel safe and comfortable and that they’re unlikely to read a headline about you causing a pile up on the M6.

Some other good advise about dealing with the test I think I read on here was to pretend you’re driving a coachload of pensioners to Eastbourne. It helps if the examiner is human and you can have a reasonable chat with them too.

Don’t give up.

AndymanUK, I personally think you could do your Class 2 and do that for 6-12 months before you try your Class 1 again. I’ve seen a couple of Class 2 jobs advertising £55k-£60k once you have 1 year’s experience, and a Class 2 moffett job paying £23 per hour.

Also, keep your chin up…I’ve heard of some people failing up to six times before they finally passed.

AndymanUK, I wrote a very similar post a couple of months ago upon failing my Class 2 three times and I feel your pain. If you enjoy it and really want it, I would say carry on - you are almost there. My fails were also mainly about not looking in my mirrors enough and positioning. The penny eventually dropped. I passed on my 4th attempt. I’m still smiling. You don’t want to miss out on that feeling. I know you think you won’t ever experience it and you are really stuck, it’s a horrible place to be in mentally but if I can do it, you can too.

Are you able to get out there and do some agency van/7.5t work to get you started and grow your confidence? I found being able to put my training into practice everyday and nail the mirrors and positioning, albeit in a smaller vehicle, was invaluable. Then do option 2 (if you feel your instructor is good).

I wish you the best of luck in making the right decision for you.

Plan on taking a short break from training and testing, which you say is necessary anyway.
Drive in your car with your “truck driving head” on. Approach all junctions thinking how you would tackle them in an artic. Practice what you have been taught about mirrors and observation.

driveress:
The penny eventually dropped.

Sums it up exactly.
A short training course doesn`t give us the time to get into the instinctive/habitual use of mirrors. We need to be more observant than average or good car drivers.

Good luck anyways.

Chin up Andy! As per Driveress, I have been using my time on 3.5 and 7.5t driving jobs via an agency to keep practicing (and earning)- and got there in the end (car to C+E).

It does not sound like you are far off - all it takes is a good day with the traffic being kind, and a small helping of luck.

You are almost there mate - don’t give up!

D.

Franglais:
Practice what you have been taught about mirrors and observation.

Lose the rear view mirror in your car so you have to use the side ones :bulb:

ROG:

I can’t remember exactly but probably between 6-8, trying to be honest about it. Just mirror stuff really.

I passed my driving test first time 35 years ago, and I’ve never had an accident in my life, so I consider myself a good driver.

However, this experience has shown me that I was too presumptious about my driving ability in a HGV. Roads have changed, cars have changed, rules have changed, and I actually think that young drivers would have an advantage over me because they have more recently been throught the safety process of passing a car license, and remember a lot of that process when transferring to a HGV.

In my 35 years on the road, I’ve obviously become lazy and developed bad habits (not dangerous) but just not up to standard for a modern (tougher) driving test.

I’ve realised that experience means nothing when going from Car to C+E, it’s a very different discipline, and I’m big enought to admit I was wrong.

A big learning process for me.

jonathan_dyane:
Try not to get caught up in where you’ve messed up in your previous tests and don’t over analyse.

Only you can decide if this is the career for you but it’s hard not to pressurise yourself because of how much the training costs.

Anything can happen on the test but basically all the examiners are looking for is that you can drive confidently and safely dealing with any hazards that occur in a sensible manner, it’s that hard and easy. I know if you commit any majors you’ll probably fail but as one of my instructors told me the main thing the examiners want is to feel safe and comfortable and that they’re unlikely to read a headline about you causing a pile up on the M6.

Some other good advise about dealing with the test I think I read on here was to pretend you’re driving a coachload of pensioners to Eastbourne. It helps if the examiner is human and you can have a reasonable chat with them too.

Don’t give up.

Thanks . I have to agree with you there.
Good advice Jonathan

Marky-p:
AndymanUK, I personally think you could do your Class 2 and do that for 6-12 months before you try your Class 1 again. I’ve seen a couple of Class 2 jobs advertising £55k-£60k once you have 1 year’s experience, and a Class 2 moffett job paying £23 per hour.

Also, keep your chin up…I’ve heard of some people failing up to six times before they finally passed.

I think you might be right here. I’m thinking of changing instructor and test centre and starting afresh with Class 2.
I’ve done my current test route so many times, I really dont feel like going back to it, it feels like a negative now rather than a positive.
Thanks

driveress:
AndymanUK, I wrote a very similar post a couple of months ago upon failing my Class 2 three times and I feel your pain. If you enjoy it and really want it, I would say carry on - you are almost there. My fails were also mainly about not looking in my mirrors enough and positioning. The penny eventually dropped. I passed on my 4th attempt. I’m still smiling. You don’t want to miss out on that feeling. I know you think you won’t ever experience it and you are really stuck, it’s a horrible place to be in mentally but if I can do it, you can too.

Are you able to get out there and do some agency van/7.5t work to get you started and grow your confidence? I found being able to put my training into practice everyday and nail the mirrors and positioning, albeit in a smaller vehicle, was invaluable. Then do option 2 (if you feel your instructor is good).

I wish you the best of luck in making the right decision for you.

Thanks Driveress, nice to know I’m not the only one, and I’m glad you finally got there.

I’ve done a lot of van / Luton / minibus driving over the years, and I thought that would be enough.
However since the pandemic I’ve done very little driving, and maybe that was part of the problem, straight from nothing to a 40ft artic was perhaps a bit of stretch and a bit naive.

My instructor said I was test-ready all 3 times, but something changed in me on the tests, not nerves, just overthinking or something.

One thing that dawned on me when I started this process (which I never thought of) is that you can’t practice in an artic in your spare time between lessons, like you would in a car.
I know the routes off by heart, but doing it in a HGV is completely different than in a car. I would like much more time behind the wheel, but at £75-£100 an hour thats not realistic.

Anyway, I think you are right I should be doing some 7.5t work in the meantime, I know that would make a big difference.
I’m just finishing off another job contract, and I’m going to go for that as soon as I can.

Thanks for reaching out.

Franglais:
Plan on taking a short break from training and testing, which you say is necessary anyway.
Drive in your car with your “truck driving head” on. Approach all junctions thinking how you would tackle them in an artic. Practice what you have been taught about mirrors and observation.

driveress:
The penny eventually dropped.

Sums it up exactly.
A short training course doesn`t give us the time to get into the instinctive/habitual use of mirrors. We need to be more observant than average or good car drivers.

Good luck anyways.

I did all the above, but I’ve got to admit now that I was never 100% comfortable with my instructor. I’m not blaming him at all, but the quality of training is paramount.
Yes, I agree I never really felt I had enough time on the road.
The checking of mirrors left/right on every turn is something I think some of the new Car to C+E candidates find difficult, as it’s not instinctive.

Thanks

DashingDave:
Chin up Andy! As per Driveress, I have been using my time on 3.5 and 7.5t driving jobs via an agency to keep practicing (and earning)- and got there in the end (car to C+E).

It does not sound like you are far off - all it takes is a good day with the traffic being kind, and a small helping of luck.

You are almost there mate - don’t give up!

D.

Thanks Dave.
I don’t think I am far off. Just feeling a bit skint and sorry for myself :frowning: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes, I was praying for a bit of luck and a good traffic day, but alas, the 3rd test was terrible, very hot day, very busy with traffic, and because a car had blocked the normal test route, the examiner had me on a 15 minute detour to get back to the test centre. I hadn’t been on any of those roads, and there were two really tight 90 degree junction turns I’d never done, which really threw me.
Having said that, I suppose the point is that I do need to be confident on roads I don’t know, so it’s not a good enough excuse to use.

Good advice about the 7.5T work. I had applied for a few positions, but put them off because I thought it would’nt be long before I could look for HGV work.
I think I’m going to take a break from HGV for 2-3 months and do some 7.5t work. It’s a good idea.

Thanks for your help.

AndymanUK:

Marky-p:

I think you might be right here. I’m thinking of changing instructor and test centre and starting afresh with Class 2.
I’ve done my current test route so many times, I really dont feel like going back to it, it feels like a negative now rather than a positive.
Thanks

Go for it mate. There’s no shame in doing class 2 for a while. Afterwards you might find you end up whizzing through the class 1 test like it was nothing!

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk

AndymanUK:

ROG:

I can’t remember exactly but probably between 6-8, trying to be honest about it. Just mirror stuff really.

Not exactly the sign of a poor driver so go for it again soon

but this is why when someone ask ‘hw much does it cost to become a lorry driver?’ and i say depends 2k-5k there like how can it cost so much

Anyways m8 keep trying and dont get worked over the past test or this will just eat at your brain. Only downfall is cost + money its not like a police traffic officer test were if you fail certain amount of times your barred so keep trying. Pete forum sponsor seems to know what there doing give them a bell? if your near by

TruckDriverBen:
but this is why when someone ask ‘hw much does it cost to become a lorry driver?’ and i say depends 2k-5k there like how can it cost so much

Anyways m8 keep trying and dont get worked over the past test or this will just eat at your brain. Only downfall is cost + money its not like a police traffic officer test were if you fail certain amount of times your barred so keep trying. Pete forum sponsor seems to know what there doing give them a bell? if your near by

Cheers mate, thank you.

I don’t think your instructor was harsh enough, putting you in a false sense of security going into the test. In these vehicles you need to be absolutely aware of everything going on around the vehicle at all times. You are going to be the professional driver looking out for all the stupid things that other road users do. You need to be checking your mirrors for that cyclist or car coming up your inside. Changing direction without checking mirrors or not positioning and checking for kerb clearance means the examiner will read that as potentially you could have taken out a cyclist or hit a pedestrian. You were not ready - simple as that.

Analyse the weaknesses that have been identified, get a good night of sleep and just go and do it. When you do pass, you will still have no commercial experience, so you may still need to go and drive 7.5 tonne and class 2, but when you keep bringing the vehicle back in one piece, someone will let you take an artic out.