Need Some Advice :(

Hi everyome.

I failed my C+E test for the second time today. Im just after some advice and to see if anyone else has had the same experience.

My first test was a bit hit and miss. I got 3 minors and 1 major. The major occured when I pulled onto a roundabout just as someone came round it at 3 times the speed of sound and I caused them to stop. Fair enough I thought, lets crack on and get it next time.

Now this is where I’m feeling lost and down in the dumps. Today came and everything was going really well. I got 1 minor for a shunt on the reverse and a perfect uncouple and re-couple, then the drive came.

We got back and and he said the dreaded words. Apparently on 2 speperate occasions I didnt check the left mirror when entering a roundabout. I know I did though becasue you have to make sure the trailer wheels dont clip the kerb or anything else! These were marked down as 2 minors which he then said, he had to marken them down as a serious and failed me. Everything else was clear, no mistakes on anything else. A total of 3 minors.

I showed my instructor the sheet and he said he couldnt understand why the examiner had done it and said it was quite harsh. 2 minor marks on section 14 of the sheet.

Im now feeling really lost as to what to do. I thought it was a really good drive and the examiner said himself, there was nothing wrong with it. I’ve got another test booked for next Tuesday now but im terrified I’ll mess it up again.

Has anyone else felt like they’ve been hard-done by after a test? Fair enough the first one when I caused the car to slow down on the roundabout but today just seemed a bit harsh.

Cheers

Will

Was there a serious tick on the sheet?

I don’t know much about the test these days but that does seem very harsh :frowning:

The thing about using mirrors is that when on a test/assessment whatever, it’s not enough to use the mirrors you need to be seen to be using the mirrors which on occasions may even mean rotating the head more than is really necessary.

Anyway I’m sure others will be able to give you better advise than I can but try to stay positive for your next test, it sounds like you’ve almost nailed it :slight_smile:

Good luck for next Tuesday :wink:

Agree this does seem harsh, I always thought 2 of the same minor was OK but gets an advise and 3 of the same issue results in a serious (i.e. appears to be a consistent error).
I notice you said the minors were for no left mirror check when entering a roundabout, personally I would take that to mean you didn’t look/mirror check as you approached/entered the junction! This would be quite different to checking your left mirror to gauge the kerb clearance as you describe.
As said, the trick is to make it obvious that you are checking the left mirror although TBH the examiner will know when to look at you to see if you do check as expected.

I would put it behind you mate, gain from the experience and drive a blinder next time…remembering the mirrors on approach to ANY hazard :open_mouth:

Best of luck

Tazbug

Hi will,

I’m sorry to see you failed again :confused:
I failed my cat C first time even though the examiner said it was a good drive and similar to your story about the mirrors I couldn’t understand why I failed with only 3 minors and 1 serious for mirrors when that’s something my instructor said I was faultless on!

At first I thought its because I’m only 18 and they get told
Not to pass many young drivers but 2nd time I passed,

I passed my cat c&e first time though with the same examiner as the rigid test,
So I realised it can’t be me being 18 that I didn’t pass class 2 first time it must have been he saw me not checking the mirrors for the only time during the test,

So basically maybe you didn’t check them enough or he watched you after you checked and didn’t see you check them :frowning: just be mustard on those mirrors he said so himself that your drive was good so if mirrors was the problem make more of an afford to move your head and exaggerate checking the mirrors

You will pass!

Thanks guys.

He said I was checking the mirrors fine approaching the roundabouts, but just as I entered the roundabout he said he didnt see me check the left one again for those 2 instances. He said I checked the mirrors, slowed down, looked to check the roundabout was clear, checked the right mirror but didnt see me check the left on 2 occasions.

Maybe I just wasnt making it obvious enough those couple of times but I thought my head was going to fall off during the drive, exaggerating the mirror check that much.

Cheers

Will

Will_161:
Thanks guys.

He said I was checking the mirrors fine approaching the roundabouts, but just as I entered the roundabout he said he didnt see me check the left one again for those 2 instances. He said I checked the mirrors, slowed down, looked to check the roundabout was clear, checked the right mirror but didnt see me check the left on 2 occasions.

Maybe I just wasnt making it obvious enough those couple of times but I thought my head was going to fall off during the drive, exaggerating the mirror check that much.

Cheers

Will

That is what it’s all about. Making those checks obvious. Once you are out on your own, a glance is enough. But for that hour on the road with the examiner, overemphasise every check. Yes your neck will ache. But you will be celebrating with a blue certificate.

Bad luck this time. Don’t give up :slight_smile:

Yes as everyone above says really.

You need to obviously check the mirrors.

If you know your defiantly checking them but it isnt obvious maybe give the examiner a running commentary as your doing it?

When i was on my driving test (car) i was really concerned of this my self and just REALLY turned my head to the mirror to make it really obvious what i was doing.

hope that helps mate and good luck for next time!

As said previous, make it obvious, moved your head and part of your body to show how obvious, if he looks in the left mirror at the same time as you he aint gonna see you looking.
3 minors is naff all so you can obviously drive the thing, dont go into the next test stressed, worried or wound up, just chill out and relax.

I failed twice close together and took my 3rd a few months down the line, abit of a regroup and fresh mentality and I passed it,
DONT GIVE UP!!!

Cant really add to this much except to say what everyone has said , took me three times to pass my class 1 , first messed up reverse, second took the veh too wide and encroached onto someone elses bit off road , third passed with 2 minors :smiley: so you will get there just calm it down and really check those mirrors , i can tell you that when doing my cat c was so obvious on mirros that I had an bump on my forehead from doing the blindside check as kept bumping my head on the window as looked down on right hand side :laughing:

dont give up you will have that pass next time :smiley:

When I did my car test umpty-ump years ago, one trick my instructor told me was to offset my mirrors a little bit - not so much that you can’t see with a quick glance, but enough so that you have to move your head a little bit out of the ordinary, to emphasise that you’re using them. Dunno whether that might help?

Gary

You didn’t say which direction you were taking at the roundabouts. The examiner will be more concerned with the use of the nearside mirror if you are turning right because there may be traffic on your left trying to beat you round.

For left turns and going straight ahead a good method to try is just as you decide to actually enter the roundabout look left and hold the look into the mirror for about 1-2 seconds until you are sure he has see you looking. This will also give you the opportunity to correct the steering slightly if you a bit close to the kerb.

Sometimes candidates approach roundabouts a bit fast and find they dont have enough time to look right at the traffic and also left virtually at the same time. This of course is resolved by slowing doen the approach speed.

Good luck for next time

Thanks guys

I just think I’m going to have exaggerate my mirror checks more and make sure he sees me doing them.

He said it was just entering a roundabout turning right he didnt see me do the left mirror check.

Roll on Tuesday!!

Just be like the nodding dog on chuchill insurance but sideways.

you will storm it this time. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: