Couple of Questions

Hi guys, few questions below if anyone can help. Struggled to find this info anywhere.

1. I have a condition that affects my ankles so I can only drive an automatic car and only have an auto license. So, am I able to become a hgv class 2 driver with only an auto license?

2. Roughly how much is it for the training from 0 k owledge to qualified class c?

Appreciate any advice :slight_smile:

1. Yes, I believe you can have an auto-only Cat C license but I’m sure someone with more knowledge will be along to confirm or deny.

2. So the first step would be applying for your Category C provisional entitlement. You can order the forms here: GOV.UK - Download and Order DVLA forms. You will need the D2/D4 pack. You will also need to undertake a driver medical and this can cost anywhere from £50+ - D4Drivers are highly recommended on Trucknet.

Once you have the provisional entitlement you will need to complete the following:

Module 1a = LGV theory (multiple choice) - £26
Module 1b = LGV Hazard Perception Test - £11
Module 2 = CPC theory - £23
Module 3 = LGV practical - £115 weekdays, £141 evenings, weekends and bank holidays
Module 4 = CPC practical - £55 (You’ll likely also need Module 4 practical training and the costs can vary wildly between different training providers)

The Category C practical training prices also vary. Peter Smythe Transport Training is the forum sponsor and are very highly recommended here. They also give you a discount if you mention your Trucknet username when booking and they provide free accommodation if you’re more than 70 miles away from them. The lastest prices I can find on here for them is 14 hours £1260 or 20 hours £1530 - both are inclusive of the test fee too.

At some point you would need to apply for a digital tachograph card (£32). As you already have a B license this can be done at any time.

If I’ve missed anything, please accept my apologies. I’m slowly progressing myself through the above so definitely not an expert!

Auto only not a prob as most are now auto

I recommend to have £2k to hand to go from B to C

ROG:

I went from B to C+E for £1995 in total.
I’ve yet to see a manual unit as well. Anything modern will be auto I think. Its been the way forward for a few years apparently.

Thank you all so much for the help. Will be applying for the forms on gov site today. :slight_smile:

trevorking1964:

ROG:

I’ve yet to see a manual unit as well. Anything modern will be auto I think. Its been the way forward for a few years apparently.

Was that in 1964? How did you get C+E for less than £2k do you have a breakdown or link to the training please?

stu675:

trevorking1964:

ROG:

Was that in 1964? How did you get C+E for less than £2k do you have a breakdown or link to the training please?

I did my training and tests with red rose training in Radcliffe In Manchester.
I did my own bookings for medical and theory/hazard perception.
I did an assessment prior to both sets of training and assessed on my actual needs. Passed both first time.
Came to £1995 in total.
Class 2 test was Feb 3rd 2020 and Class 1 was July 23rd 2020.
I’m sure I did a breakdown of it at some point on a thread.
I’ll have a look…

Can’t find it.
Looked at my bank statements and have…
Assessment two times. £25 each.
Class 2 £847
Class 1 £1033

Plus the medical at £50
Hazard perception and theory, I can’t remember how much they were right now.
That’s £1980 plus the theory bits.
I think my original quoted cost was without the 2 assessments.
Sorry.

I can highly recommend red rose. The nature of being assessed means you only pay for how much training you actually need.

trevorking1964:

stu675:

trevorking1964:

ROG:

I did my training and tests with red rose training in Radcliffe In Manchester.
I did my own bookings for medical and theory/hazard perception.
I did an assessment prior to both sets of training and assessed on my actual needs. Passed both first time.
Came to £1995 in total.
Class 2 test was Feb 3rd 2020 and Class 1 was July 23rd 2020.
I’m sure I did a breakdown of it at some point on a thread.
I’ll have a look…

Can’t find it.
Looked at my bank statements and have…
Assessment two times. £25 each.
Class 2 £847
Class 1 £1033

Plus the medical at £50
Hazard perception and theory, I can’t remember how much they were right now.
That’s £1980 plus the theory bits.
I think my original quoted cost was without the 2 assessments.
Sorry.

I can highly recommend red rose. The nature of being assessed means you only pay for how much training you actually need.

That’s really helpful thanks for taking the time again. That should be a sticky at the top of this forum!
Yeah, that does sound sensible rather than just buying a popular package. But Feb 2020 - those halcyon days! Now, it can be about just trying to get through the process asap to start earning sooner. I’m not in Manchester so can’t use Red rose, I did try and work out if the package was worth paying for instead of booking theory etc. myself. But using the established principle of negotiating 10% off everything! I’m happy with the route I’ve chosen to take.

I had no issues with the class 2.
I had my original test date for class 1 on April 17th cancelled due to covid and got a refund.
As soon as they opened again I was contacted and paid again and test was July 23rd.
Worth the wait to be fair.
Loving my job.