Automatic licence to C1?

Hi guys,

I currently have a standard licence for automatics only but I want to move into driving trucks and plan on gaining my C1 licence. My question is, can I upgrade to a C1 licence directly from an automatics only licence, or would I have to gain the manual element for category B first?

Why C1, why are you not doing C instead.

I currently work for an access hire company and their trucks are 7.5tonne fully loaded and require a C1 licence. That is already looking at around a grand just for training based on what I’ve seen online and money is tight. Would C be better? and how much more would it usually cost for someone who’s never stepped foot in the drivers side of a truck?

C will cost more I imagine but not that much more, someone on this forum can probably give you a better idea on cost, or ask whoever you are going to do training with for the different prices.

Besides the amount of jobs you will be able to undertake will be vastly more than with a C1. Much bigger variety of work available as well and get paid more.

I wouldn’t bother with the c1 ! I’d go for the C .
Most trucks are autos these days from what I’ve been told .

As others have said I would go C as for the little extra cost will give you far more options

Thank you for all the responses. I’ll look into C.

My doctor has just refused to do my D4 form so I need to find someone reputable to do that. Then look into schools in and around Leeds.

You can upgrade to cat C1 or cat C from a car licence, however in order to be able to drive manual HGVs you will need to do the cat C1 or cat C test in a vehicle with manual transmission.

In your situation I’d have to say that it would be crazy to do the HGV test in an automatic vehicle, there are still plenty of manual HGVs around but you won’t be able to drive them if you do the HGV test in an automatic.

As has been said, if you can afford it you would be far better off going straight to cat C, it would open far more doors for you :wink:

Yeah I’m happy to do the manual licence for C or C1, I’m just not ure if I can take it direct from an auto only cat B licence.

There are an increasing number of auto c1 and c vehicles out there esp in the newer ones, but there are still a lot of manuals out there which means you’ll be restricting your work availability.

Personally I’d do class c as its often the same cost as c1, and the same test plus pays more in future. As for training, I pretty sure one of the forum sponsors is around there and Tockwith Training are too who are well recommended on here.

Edit: Removed the duplicate stuff as Tachograph was typing at same time.

Optikal:
Yeah I’m happy to do the manual licence for C or C1, I’m just not ure if I can take it direct from an auto only cat B licence.

YES you can

On passing LGV C or C1 manual it will upgrade B from auto to manual for life

Personally I would go for the Cat C.

Doing C1 or C makes little difference financially as both will still require:
Medical
Provisional licence
Theory Test
CPC

If you do go for “just” C1, make sure you tick the box for C on the provisional form so you get both provisionally otherwise you’ll have to apply and go through a medical all over again if you want to do C in the future. This is the reason I also ticked D1 and D on my forms too

On the D2 form just tick C & D as that will cover ALL LGV & PCV categories by the D4 medical

Getting C provisional covers subcategory C1

Optikal:
would I have to gain the manual element for category B first?

For around £100 for a few lessons and the car test (plenty will offer the first few lessons discounted) I do have to wonder whether you would be better off doing that anyway.

The training school I used (for Class C) told me they went for autos straight after the law change, because (not surprisingly) they are easier for learners to learn and get a first time pass in.

…And obviously they were talking about learners who - unlike you - generally would have had plenty of experience of car manual gearboxes.

So for all that you can go straight to learning in a Class C manual, it might actually work out cheaper and easier in the long run if you went Class B manual, then Class C Auto…

If you’re only in Leeds, it would be dirt cheap to stay over in Hull and use Parrot Driver Training. 16 plate Daf Euro6 automatics. 20 hours and DVSA test fee is only £895 !!! They have good reviews; I’m using them for my cat C in mid February

If you’re only interested in C1 and upgrading to manual you might want to look at this

petersmythe.co.uk/c1-7-5-tonne/

This will upgrade your car licence to manual and give you a full 7.5 tonne licence.

With Trucknet discount, £810 incl VAT and test at our private test centre.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

undertaker:
If you’re only in Leeds, it would be dirt cheap to stay over in Hull and use Parrot Driver Training. 16 plate Daf Euro6 automatics. 20 hours and DVSA test fee is only £895 !!! They have good reviews; I’m using them for my cat C in mid February

Do you work for this company :question:

No certainly not. Just thought they were very competitive price wise, having myself looked into it recently

animal:

undertaker:

Do you work for this company :question:

No mate, just thought they were priced very competitively for cat C, having looked into it myself recently

Thank you all for the help and advice. I’ll look into both of those schools mentioned as soon as I have my forms ready and have saved up a bit more brass.