From bus to truck

sorry if this has been asked before, i frequent a few other forums but never get the search thing to come up with anything i need. first my wee story…

i am 24, live in central scotland and i drive buses for stagecoach, they put me through my test a year ago, and have done 3 days of my CPC. i contacted a local lgv trainer with the intentions of when i get money, to sit my C and C+E. He gave me some insight but until i actually get the money and book it i dont want to bother him too much.

Since its only been a year since i done my bus (D and D1 Auto) i am aware of how the theory and hazard perception tests work, and i applied for my category C entitlements onto my licence, which i now have. But will i still need to do a medical, as its less than a year since i got it for my bus, and i have the provisional entitlements?

I wont get the money until my old house sells, and i wont be able to book it until i get my holidays clarified, but im really looking forward to doing doing the training and test, and will keep a wee blog of each day for everyone to read.

I paid a bit each week to the place i took my test till i covered the cost then got booked in and went and done it any good place should do this for you as they have nowt to lose

sorry i mustve miss worded the question, the money isnt the problem, i co-inherited a house that is now being sold, so once all the money settles it will be fine.

my question was about the medical, the trainer provides all required for test but he said i would need a medical, wasnt sure if i still needed one after doing it for my bus AND already having C and C+E entitlements.

sorry about the long drag out first post, but i didnt want to just fire in with a question and no background.

stuartrobbie:
and i applied for my category C entitlements onto my licence, which i now have.

As you’ve now got the provisional you won’t require another medical until you’re 45.

mrpj:

stuartrobbie:
and i applied for my category C entitlements onto my licence, which i now have.

As you’ve now got the provisional you won’t require another medical until you’re 45.

thank you, thats what i wanted to know, the trainer told me i needed a medical, before i applied for C and C+E. however i sent away for provisional entitlements anyway because i was advised to from a new driver at my depot, who went the opposite way, from truck to bus, he said he just sent it away, no questions.

thats another thing out the way. thanks for your help guys, hopefully my next post will be when i have it booked.

Hiya

I’m taking the same route here. I passed in October '08 and have my CPC Module 4 certificate as well as my practical test certificate showing that I passed and got my D/D1. I already had my C provisional from back in '03 so your question about the medical was helpful.

The CPC Module 4 certificate seems to be the same one for C/D but this one does state it is for D.

Do I need to take an additional one to get cat C? Since I passed in Oct '08 I have had a day a year periodic training to work up to my 35/40 hours of training in 5 years. Can this be used for trucks or do I need to take an additional one?

My blue CPC card says I have C, C1, C1E, CE, with code 95 up to 9th Sept 2014 and my D1, D, D1E and DE up to 22th October 2013.

And as you’re a bus driver, does your licence show different codes between your D and D1/D1E. For my D I have no restrictions but for D1/D1E I have restrictions for 01, 101 and the trailer for 119 and whilst the D is up until 2020 the D1/D1E is up until 2045. I know there is a problem with my licence for the D in that there was a mistake with codes but I’m hoping that getting my LGV will fix this :wink:

Sorry to rattle on :astonished:

im glad there is someone else in same boat, that way i know someone else can back up my research :laughing:

on my photocard licence for D and D1 i have code 78, i assume thats cause Stagecoach only put me through automatic, thats what code 78 must be, the only other code i have is 122 for fKp, i think they are agricultural and electronis vehicle, that everyone will have on their licence?

as you had your C provisional first thats why you’ll have extra over me, because my blue CPC card only has for D,D1,D1E,DE. i dont have a +E licence. they all have code 95 for 29.03.2015, next job is to find out what code 95 is.

my guess is, if you do your C then you wont need to do a Module 4 then? i was kinda hoping i wouldnt need to do it again as it would be another hurdle taken away, but doesnt look like it

im still a little confused with CPC, as i got my red certificate, then blue card, after doing module 4, without even setting foot in the cpc classroom. i have a certificates to say i have my classroom cpc work, but i dont understand why there is a seperate card?

stuartrobbie:
my blue CPC card only has for D,D1,D1E,DE. i dont have a +E licence. they all have code 95 for 29.03.2015, next job is to find out what code 95 is.

From the DSA dcpc hotline 0191 201 8112
The code 95 is a euro thing.
Many EU states do not issue a DQC as we do in the UK but instead put the code 95 next to each of the relevant catagories to show that the dcpc is valid for those catagories

As the UK does not put code 95 on a UK driving licence then for those with a DQC driving in the EU it was felt that putting code 95 onto the DQC would show other EU states that the UK driver has the relevant dcpc status along with the dcpc expiry dates for each of the catagories

The next bit is a total guess - I suspect that many EU states may align the 5 year dcpc requirement with other aspects of their LGV/PCV renewals if that is the way they do things which is why they use the licence and not a seperate card such as the UK DQC

stuartrobbie:
my guess is, if you do your C then you wont need to do a Module 4 then? i was kinda hoping i wouldnt need to do it again as it would be another hurdle taken away, but doesnt look like it

The INITIAL dcpc for PCV & LGV are different so a seperate one (modules 2 & 4) needs doing for each

stuartrobbie:
im still a little confused with CPC, as i got my red certificate, then blue card, after doing module 4, without even setting foot in the cpc classroom. i have a certificates to say i have my classroom cpc work, but i dont understand why there is a seperate card?

The blue DQC was issued because passing module 4 started the 5 year PERIODIC dcpc process
INITIAL dcpc only has 2 modules - module 2 is done in the theory test centre - module 4 is done at the practical test area - the classroom you refer to is for the PERIODIC dcpc and not the INITIAL

PERIODIC can only be counted after passing INITIAL dcpc module 4 (unless on aquired rights) so if you have done some PERIODIC afterr passing mod 4 then you will have certificates for those courses you attended and the hours for those PERIODIC courses will be logged at DVLA

On completion of 35 hours of PERIODIC dcpc you will be issued with a new DQC that will have a new expiry date which will be 5 years on from the current expiry date

i will warn you the job market is utterly dire in central scotland, im the same age as you and from fife, by all means pass it but i wouldnt leave working at stagecoach for a while as agencies seem to have taken over in this area.

It would still be worth doing Cat C if you can becuase it would upgrade your Cat D Auto to a Cat D full :wink:

This does mean that I could end up back on coaches instead of trucks if it gets too dire!!!

ok thanks for all the info, its a lot to take in when you start, i kinda assumed that stagecoach knew what they were doing so went along with it :laughing:

gogzy, i have no intentions of leaving stagecoach, but thanks for the warning, i want to do my cat C as my dad has driven for all his days, i believe that nearly everyone idolises their dad, and one day i want to drive like he does. im a joiner to trade, and the building industy is the same as any other just now, and when i couldnt find work, stagecoach put me through my test etc.
i knew one day i would drive for a living, the buses gives me a feel for it, without the nights out and not knowing where i can be. i know when and where i will be at any time.

i consider myself very lucky i have work, and i wont have the double struggle doing my training then find work. i will stay with stagecoach as long as i am happy to, but having the cat c will give me something else to fall back on… but mostly i want to do it because i really want to drive hgv’s!

well that seems a good enough reason to want to do it, and at least youve got stagecoach to fall back on that and itll give you a full manual bus licence.

Hi all
stuartrobbi Im yet another one in the same boat (although mine seems to be sinking ) lol well i looked into things 12 weeks ago because when took my medical 2 yrs ago to renew my cat D/DE and then renewed it i asked for cat C provisional rights so didnt have to re take a med exam . and i then week before last took my theory and hazard perception and passed both . didnt do the CPC part as i am ok till 2014 under grandad rights
although i will have to do the CPC before 2013 to keep my cat D/DE vocational rights .but have been told that i will not have to take CPC on both vehicles as one card will cover both Busses and trucks .
The reason I am now taking my truck C and CE is that their is very little work here in the north west for Bus or Coach drivers i get one email a week saying PCV driver wanted from my job search but get about 12/14 a weeks saying HGV 1 and hgv 2 drivers wanted in lancashire . and although Coach driving was good as you press a button and your load walks off :laughing: I think that I will stand a Better chance of work now back on trucks and a slightly better wage :smiley: I hope :open_mouth:
best of luck
Roy

Im not so sure about the work thing being better. Im working for Stagecoach so i think its a wee bit secure unless i muck it up. Especially working from Perth depot “home of stagecoach”

I havent told my boss yet that im doing it, incase they get a bit annoyed. there are a few drivers that have left after gaining their Cat C. Like i said earlier, im lucky enough that im doing my Cat C for myself, not for a job!

I done my theory tests,
Got 99/100 (same as i got for bus one, think they done that 1 just for the banter!) :imp:
cant remember what the actual score was for the HP but it was the same as the theory, got 5 for all the clips but 1 for one of them, for some reason! :unamused:
Case Study wasnt as good, i had a couple of questions about owner driver regulations that kinda stumped me. :blush:

training is supposed to be from Thursday 9th June. I put in for leui days but never actually got it back in writing, now they are saying cause we are short of 15 drivers i might not get the extra days on :imp:

Anyway, once the business end of training starts ill put up a noew diary. :grimacing: