ADR/ Classroom training

Hi,

Has anybody heard any rumours of any training schools opening soon, for ADR course?

Regards

Fozzer

Opening? They have never been closed. If you’re anywhere near Tyneside I can let you know of one place that is running a course the week of 18th May, and again beginning week of June 22nd.

Fozzer:
Hi,

Has anybody heard any rumours of any training schools opening soon, for ADR course?

Regards

Fozzer

Hi Fozzer,

Asking for rumours might not be the best way of finding a good answer to your question. :wink:

I can tell you this though (defo NOT a rumour :smiley:) …the teaching of an ADR course is not itself prohibited even at the present time, but…

Social distancing remains in force, so the average provider might not be able to get enough (socially distant) people in their classroom to make a course worthwhile.
:bulb: The instructor him/her self would also have to be comfortable with the idea.

One major stumbling block is the requirement for the first-aid section of the course in which the candidates must physically place each other in the ‘recovery’ position. This has been discussed between SQA and the DfT, who have issued guidance that (for example) showing a video/DVD instead is NOT acceptable as it “dilutes the qualification” (their exact words!!.)

Online or distance learning has already received an official no-no, so that’s not even an option.

If the above can be overcome in some way, there is now an official letter from DfT that allows any ADR refresher candidates to carry on until 30/11/2020 without doing their ADR ‘refresher’ course.

SQA are not making/sending new ADR cards at the moment because their offices are closed, so there’s there’s another official letter from the DfT that says that (as long as the driver has passed the ADR exams) the ADR card does not have to be on board the vehicle as it normally would. Such a driver would need to carry this letter, but this can be supplied by the ADR provider once the new to ADR (= initial) driver has passed the exams.

Some providers use online exams, whilst other providers use paper-based exams. This is the provider’s choice.
However, there are marking arrangement in place for both systems even though SQA’s offices are closed.

A normal ADR course in the normal way??

I fear that won’t be for some time yet. :frowning:

Zac_A:
Opening? They have never been closed.

This is true Zac, but I’ve just finished negotiating postponement of a course I had booked for the end of June - beginning of July.

Zac_A:
If you’re anywhere near Tyneside I can let you know of one place that is running a course the week of 18th May, and again beginning week of June 22nd.

:bulb: It’s good that the instructor is prepared to take the risk.

I’m in an ‘at risk’ group, so I’ve already taken action on all my May/June courses with the full agreement of the different providers concerned.

When it came to it, we were already all on the same page!! :smiley:

Thanks for the detailed reply Diesel Dave.

Sounds like the whole running of the course can come to a halt over a first aid practical!

Looks like I’ll just have to wait a while. Travelling to the north-east is just a bit too far as I’m right down south.

Cheers

dieseldave:

Zac_A:
If you’re anywhere near Tyneside I can let you know of one place that is running a course the week of 18th May, and again beginning week of June 22nd.

He’s a young guy so less inclined to be risk-averse that those of us who have been around a while longer :smiley:

Fozzer:
Thanks for the detailed reply Diesel Dave.

Sounds like the whole running of the course can come to a halt over a first aid practical!

Looks like I’ll just have to wait a while. Travelling to the north-east is just a bit too far as I’m right down south.

Cheers

Hi Fozzer,

I have a master list of ADR providers, so I’d normally offer to help you find one in your area if you asked me.

However, it doesn’t tell me which providers are offering anything in the current circumstances. :frowning:

Zac_A:

dieseldave:

Zac_A:

He’s a young guy so less inclined to be risk-averse that those of us who have been around a while longer :smiley:

Yes, I take that point Zac.

:bulb: There are very few certainties in this, so it’s all a % game of statistics.

Fozzer:
Travelling to the north-east is just a bit too far as I’m right down south.

Cheers

I believe there’s an outfit on the south coast that’s still doing ADR, it’s still (it seems) bookable on their website, albeit at one and a half times the price you’d pay “up north” :sunglasses:

Zac_A:

Fozzer:
Travelling to the north-east is just a bit too far as I’m right down south.

Cheers

I believe there’s an outfit on the south coast that’s still doing ADR, it’s still (it seems) bookable on their website, albeit at one and a half times the price you’d pay “up north” :sunglasses:

That sounds about right :unamused:

When lockdown got us, we’d started an ADR course which we had to abandon. So, when we get going again, that course will be one of the first to be reinstated.

We’re at NG17 3FW. Cost (with Trucknet discount) £540 all in. And you get free accommodation for the duration.

Add 28 hours of cpc (free) and it takes some beating!

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Yes these are very testing times right now.

However, We have just announced our first ADR course since Covid.
We are running ADR from w/c 22nd June.
We are also running it every week in July.

We are limiting the attendance to no more than 6 persons.

I would love to tell you who we are but as we are not allowed to advertise on here…I can only tell you we are located in the South East.

I found this ADR course in the south east = eptraining.co.uk/course/category/adr

Thanks Guys, that’s given me a couple of options.

ROG:
I found this ADR course in the south east = eptraining.co.uk/course/category/adr

That’s a good spot ROG, I can add my recommendation to your ‘find.’ :smiley:

dieseldave:

ROG:

That’s a good spot ROG, I can add my recommendation to your ‘find.’ :smiley:

I wonder if there is a promo code going for this?? :wink:

Seems like £700 is the standard price “darn sarf” :open_mouth:

As if cheap housing wasn’t reason enough to be pleased you’re living up North… Full ADR course including Tanks, all exams & 28 hours of DCPC for £446.25 :sunglasses:

If you call EP. I am sure they can do this for £550 all in.

I know the boss!

Thanks Dave and Rog for the spot!

hgvlgvtraining:
If you call EP. I am sure they can do this for £550 all in.

This was a close call, so it went to VAR…
… it hit the crossbar and bounced just on (but not over) the line. :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :grimacing:

ROG:

£700!!! :open_mouth: I got mine for £540 with 4 days CPC included with a company in Warrington.