ADR Course Coming Up

Hello All, I recently booked in for a 5 day adr course here in Ireland and have a week to kill before I start and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of some online literature etc that I can get my hands on so I have a little bit of an understanding before I start, would be most grateful :smiley:

Basic info on the ADR - scroll about half way down the page.

FOR SPECIFIC QUESTIONS YOU MIGHT NEED OUR RESIDENT ADR INSTRUCTORā€¦

Click the picture of the ADR Truck to send him a PM (Private Message) :bulb:

I wouldnā€™t bother,I did mine last month and a pass is pretty much guaranteed.The company that I went with apparently have a pass rate between 99 - 100%.Ultimately itā€™s a series of exams lasting around half an hour for each one,there are about 25 questions in each one.Itā€™s an interesting course but I bet most people would get a decent mark if they just sat the exams and didā€™nt bother with the course,after all,being a multiple choice exam,the answer is in front of you.It took three weeks for my licence to come through.

ED Case:
Hello All, I recently booked in for a 5 day adr course here in Ireland and have a week to kill before I start and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of some online literature etc that I can get my hands on so I have a little bit of an understanding before I start, would be most grateful :smiley:

Hi ED Case, I canā€™d add much to the tip that ROG has given you, but there is a lot of other ADR info in the Dangerous Goods sticky in the Safety and Law forum.

Good luck with your course and exams. :smiley:

Well if I can pass the ADR anybody can :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If it was a completely written exam,not multiple choice,I bet the pass rate would be halved.Iā€™ve even got the tanks aspect as well,never been near a tanker in my life.

Deathstar:
If it was a completely written exam,not multiple choice,I bet the pass rate would be halved.

Agreed!!

Having to mark the little written exercise thatā€™s part of the core module on an almost weekly basis, Iā€™d say that the pass rate would be similar to what youā€™ve suggested. :frowning:

The UK requirements for the ADR course are that a driver can read, and the purpose of the exercise is to confirm that. We donā€™t mark for spelling or grammar, because itā€™s not designed to be an ā€˜Englishā€™ test like a person would have had when they were at school.

Just out of curiosity how much roughly would an ADR course cost without the tankers part am not really interested in doing tankers but if that changes in the future can you do just a tankers module as like a top up?

Not looking to do it yet just concentrating on getting my mod 4 passed, then a job, save some money for class 1 and then see what happens?

Big Brummie Macca:
Just out of curiosity how much roughly would an ADR course cost without the tankers part am not really interested in doing tankers but if that changes in the future can you do just a tankers module as like a top up?

Not looking to do it yet just concentrating on getting my mod 4 passed, then a job, save some money for class 1 and then see what happens?

ADR Initial course
hope it helps

Big Brummie Macca:

Hi BBM,
Yes mate, you can do an ADR tanker module at any time you like.

My advice for a new guy such as yourself would be to leave out the tanker module on your first ADR course, because thereā€™s usually very little chance of a newbie being offered a tanker driving job. As for price, all I can advise you is that it varies and itā€™ll pay you to shop around.

Big Brummie Macca:

It might help if I tell you that you could do your ADR at any time.
The only thing you need to take part in an ADR course is a Swansea issued driver number. You donā€™t even need a full licence.
It might pay you to do some research in your local area, because itā€™s perfectly possible that having an ADR licence will open up some opportunities that are denied to other folks. It might also put you on a slightly higher hourly rate whilst youā€™re driving Cat ā€œCā€ and saving-up for your C+E course and test.

Just a thought. :smiley:

Hi Diesel Dave

Never thought of it like that and have saw a few ADR class 2 vacancies around, also would count towards me periodic training as well. First things first is mod 4 in July and will see where the road takes me.

Thanks for your reply think I will ask my training company about ADR prices when I am next in.

when i priced ADR courses in my area it was about Ā£450 ish for full incl tankers this was bout 18 mth ago mind

hope this helps

Big Brummie Macca:
Hi Diesel Dave

Never thought of it like that and have saw a few ADR class 2 vacancies around, also would count towards me periodic training as well. First things first is mod 4 in July and will see where the road takes me.

Thanks for your reply think I will ask my training company about ADR prices when I am next in.

Hi BBM,

Thanks for your kind words. :smiley:

My idea wonā€™t work in all areas of the country, and Iā€™ve no real knowledge of your area.
Given that youā€™ve taken a decision to invest in yourself, Iā€™d like to see you succeed and what better way of achieving that goal than getting best value and reward for your time and money??
Iā€™d defo recommend that you do some canny research though, cos that costs nowt. :wink:

Iā€™d like to wish you good luck mate!! :smiley:

animal:
when i priced ADR courses in my area it was about Ā£450 ish for full incl tankers this was bout 18 mth ago mind

Thatā€™s the thing about market forces and geographic area.

IMHO, that would be considered a very keen price in my area. :open_mouth:

I will have a good look around. I have found this website could you tell me if the top course would cover me for everything, for example if I wanted to do petrol tankers?

http://www.cdstraining.co.uk/?page_id=163

Big Brummie Macca:
I will have a good look around. I have found this website could you tell me if the top course would cover me for everything, for example if I wanted to do petrol tankers?

Yes it would, also ask if their course is cpc approved and you can claim 21 hours towards you dcpc

dieseldave:

Deathstar:
If it was a completely written exam,not multiple choice,I bet the pass rate would be halved.

Agreed!!

Having to mark the little written exercise thatā€™s part of the core module on an almost weekly basis, Iā€™d say that the pass rate would be similar to what youā€™ve suggested. :frowning:

The UK requirements for the ADR course are that a driver can read, and the purpose of the exercise is to confirm that. We donā€™t mark for spelling or grammar, because itā€™s not designed to be an ā€˜Englishā€™ test like a person would have had when they were at school.

I still donā€™t know how I managed to get 93 or so% on the exercise we did on the course I attended, I felt really embarrassed when you said the score and everyone looked at me :blush: :blush:

Big Brummie Macca:

Hi BBM,

Yes mate, I had a look at the link and the top course would cover Core, Packs, Tanks and seven UN Classes.

I also noticed that by their pricing structure, it would be somewhat uneconomic to leave the tanker module for later. :open_mouth:

garnerlives:
I still donā€™t know how I managed to get 93 or so% on the exercise we did on the course I attended, I felt really embarrassed when you said the score and everyone looked at me :blush: :blush:

Hi Jon,

Thatā€™s the easiest question Iā€™ve tackled in quite a whileā€¦

The answer is that you listened to the lesson. :wink: :smiley: :grimacing:

Big Brummie Macca:
would count towards me periodic training as well.

Not all ADR courses will count towards the Dcpc.
Check with the course provider that the course is Dcpc approved
There will be a higher price for a Dcpc ADR course as the costs for the Dcpc bit have to be covered
I believe there are some ADR Dcpc courses around that charge as little as an extra Ā£75 for the 21 hours Dcpc which equates to Ā£25 per 7 hours - not bad :smiley: