Ford Transcontinental

[zb]
anorak:
Maybe Fodens were not used to putting functional stuff above the height of the rocker cover. :laughing:

The thing about that Italian relic is that it sports the model number, which is a Mk2 feature, but in Mk1 letters. The Mk2 letters were in a fancy typeface. Also the model number is a Mk2 one. The Mk1 version would have been a 4234.

I am thinking that Ford’s response to the Italian 44 tonne/352 bhp rule was to introduce the 4435 early, to get round the Italian rule. It would not have been too difficult to tweak the pump on the Mk1’s engine (NTC355, 342bhp to BS141Au, IIRC), to get 352 bhp DIN. To sell the thing to the Italians, putting the uprated specification on the badge would help sell it. The alternative explanation, of course, is that the proud driver of the vehicle doctored the badge. Some research is in order!

Did I say that non-nerds must look away? :laughing:

Hey

If the market opened in Italy on the motorshow some were not ready, as Ford and Daf, which came later with a 353HP engine.
Ford was there with the old 340 and sold under the name 4434 they announced it as a 352Hp, but salemans gave not much comments if you asked about the engine. Maybe was already the new NTE 352 under the bonnet who knows, and at that time I couldn’t make out objects as a not ■■■■■■■ man.

Eric