Ford Transcontinental

JRT

Looks like this ones having a refurb
M Way &sons ?

Mark ellwood:
Ok will do, might be off to Varna Bulgaria via Greece soon so should get some interesting ones to post

whatever happened to the pics then ?

robthedog:
Looks like this ones having a refurb
M Way &sons ?

The orange one above is ( ex ) Nash Rocks one, JCL 451 V

Hi everyone, I’ve seen a few comments on here with recommendations on where to get parts for transcontinentals. We’re currently restoring one at work and it could be handy to know if any of the people mentioned could still help should we need it? Many thanks.

Penfold1994:
Hi everyone, I’ve seen a few comments on here with recommendations on where to get parts for transcontinentals. We’re currently restoring one at work and it could be handy to know if any of the people mentioned could still help should we need it? Many thanks.

Any chance of some progress pics of your restoration?

andrew.s:

Penfold1994:

Penfold1994:

andrew.s:

Penfold1994:

Nice :smiley:

That will be lovely when it’s finished.

Just seen this interesting photo on the web. Trevor Richards Transcon from the depths of Dorset. Yes I know the photo was taken in Seaton Devon but as you can see he came from the little village of Bettiscombe in Dorset. Got a nice load on there for one of the local farmers no doubt.

Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 18.17.18.png

[zb]
anorak:
Maybe Fodens were not used to putting functional stuff above the height of the rocker cover. :laughing:

The thing about that Italian relic is that it sports the model number, which is a Mk2 feature, but in Mk1 letters. The Mk2 letters were in a fancy typeface. Also the model number is a Mk2 one. The Mk1 version would have been a 4234.

I am thinking that Ford’s response to the Italian 44 tonne/352 bhp rule was to introduce the 4435 early, to get round the Italian rule. It would not have been too difficult to tweak the pump on the Mk1’s engine (NTC355, 342bhp to BS141Au, IIRC), to get 352 bhp DIN. To sell the thing to the Italians, putting the uprated specification on the badge would help sell it. The alternative explanation, of course, is that the proud driver of the vehicle doctored the badge. Some research is in order!

Did I say that non-nerds must look away? :laughing:

Hey

If the market opened in Italy on the motorshow some were not ready, as Ford and Daf, which came later with a 353HP engine.
Ford was there with the old 340 and sold under the name 4434 they announced it as a 352Hp, but salemans gave not much comments if you asked about the engine. Maybe was already the new NTE 352 under the bonnet who knows, and at that time I couldn’t make out objects as a not ■■■■■■■ man.

Eric

I’ve been back quite a few pages and not seen a reference to this, so please see the link below to the Commercial Motor site.

It is a 1988 review of the life and death of the Transcontinental. Apologies if you’ve already seen it.

beegee:
I’ve been back quite a few pages and not seen a reference to this, so please see the link below to the Commercial Motor site.

It is a 1988 review of the life and death of the Transcontinental. Apologies if you’ve already seen it.

AHEAD OF ITS TIME | 6th October 1988 | The Commercial Motor Archive

That’s a useful article.

I have very fond memories of our Transcon-despite only being about eight years old I can very well remember the day my father chopped his scania 80 in for the big Ford.the transcontinental was about four years old.He absolutely loved that lorry,and so did I-a lottery win and I’d be getting one !!

Hi everyone. Figured I’d post a quick update regarding our restoration. It’s still ongoing however she’s very close. Once I know the owner has seen it I’ll upload some pictures (in the next few weeks.) The owner lives in Ireland and we are based in the Scottish Borders so he hasn’t seen any of the build yet in person at least. The interior is currently being fitted and the final pieces are being painted. The biggest pain in the ar*e has been the battery cover. Unfortunately ours is perished and has had 3 attempts to strengthen it and prevent it from cracking so fingers crossed this will be it. We also had to make a new chrome band for the front and some new rear wings. But we’re almost there.

Completely random but I’ll upload a picture of the diagram I made for the Electrical box in the drivers step box. I know it won’t interest many but I’d love for it to be able to be found by someone who may need it one day.

20210903_093503.jpg

robthedog:
JRT

Is this one ex Arlan Roach (purfleet)?

Mk1 ? Middle East spec

Purposeful

robthedog:
Purposeful

Happy to drive one tomorrow :sunglasses: . Never mind the hardship! :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:

robthedog:
Purposeful

Happy to drive one tomorrow :sunglasses: . Never mind the hardship! :laughing:

And me. :laughing:
This was mine,had it for about two years on nights,a great tool.

mfs53.jpg