Rugby truckstop to close

Rugby truckstop to close on the 1st February 2023 for refurbishment
don’t know if permanent or temporary. See it on another site.

Im glad its only temporary.I like that truckstop.We go in there for a meal even sometimes on my day off!

It will be temporary, they’re building a huge extension to the parking area at the moment.

Harry Monk:
It will be temporary, they’re building a huge extension to the parking area at the moment.

There’s another truck park going up in the new part of DIRFT, 130 public spaces, another 170 reserved for trucks servicing the new units. I believe they’re putting another new roundabout on the A5 to link into Houlton.

About time the truckstop had a ban on trucks turning right out of it, it’s dangerous and now they have the roundabout everything should have to turn left and use the island just like they have to do at Europark a bit further up the A5.

Yes,its in an ideal spot,but then ,it does need updating

It would have been my first choice today so phoned up to check, currently just for stobbies, there was a lot of green in there when I passed by, plus a scattering of culina. Had no answer for me though to when it would be back open for the rest of us. Unsurprisingly Red Lion was no room at the inn at half 5, though that might be normal I don’t know.

njl:
It would have been my first choice today so phoned up to check, currently just for stobbies, there was a lot of green in there when I passed by, plus a scattering of culina. Had no answer for me though to when it would be back open for the rest of us. Unsurprisingly Red Lion was no room at the inn at half 5, though that might be normal I don’t know.

i was told that it is being made into a new depot for cullina and its affilates, whether that is true or not i dont know

Very few left. Newark is going soon the council want to relocate it to the other side of town near the Showground. Its closed at present don’t know temporary or permanent

scotstrucker:

njl:

i was told that it is being made into a new depot for cullina and its affilates, whether that is true or not i dont know[/
Looks like it from picture my mate sent me , green fleet will be in truck stop & warrens in the bottom ( old green fleet yard ) , though it does say temporary relocation of t/o , looking at pics it looks like a awfull lot of work for a temporary relocation , I guess culina arnt into running t/stops

WheelsofCardiff:
Very few left. Newark is going soon the council want to relocate it to the other side of town near the Showground. Its closed at present don’t know temporary or permanent

theres a new welcome break opening at newark on northbound side at balderton, i past it a few weeks ago and it didnt look like there were many hgv spots

scotstrucker:

WheelsofCardiff:

theres a new welcome break opening at newark on northbound side at balderton, i past it a few weeks ago and it didnt look like there were many hgv spots

Shame it is’nt a dedicated one like the new welcome break one at Rothwell. Think as far as truckstops go. They have got that one pretty much spot on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

WheelsofCardiff:

I thought it was just the cafe on site which closed on the 20th January but the rest is open?

My mate on Stobbies reckons it’s closing permanently.
This is what happens when transport firms take over truckstops. :unamused:
So much for Govt intervention on truckstops, parking,.and general improvments to make the job attractive.
The usual ‘All wind and ■■■■’ sound bite scenario, with zero substance when it comes to us . :unamused:

robroy:

We’re hearing that too, Culina are going to be consolidating their fleet there. Doesn’t make any real difference to me as we only ever use it for diesel. Perhaps they’ll keep that side of it going although their diesel sales seem to have dropped sharply since Rugby Services at J1 M6 opened as they take the Keyfuels card.

Harry Monk:

robroy:

We’re hearing that too, Culina are going to be consolidating their fleet there. Doesn’t make any real difference to me as we only ever use it for diesel. Perhaps they’ll keep that side of it going although their diesel sales seem to have dropped sharply since Rugby Services at J1 M6 opened as they take the Keyfuels card.

I’m not so sure , there putting up 2 storey offices at the side of the actual t/stop so I
Can’t see theyl need all that space , t/stop / 2 tstorey offices for what fitted in a portacabin when I worked there , planning etc ,

mrginge:

WheelsofCardiff:

I thought it was just the cafe on site which closed on the 20th January but the rest is open?

That was my understanding as well, based on a visit on 19th January. However, given the way Newark has expanded, it would not surprise me if they did relocate it. A pity if that is the case, since the current site is only a short walk from what is a pleasant town to walk around. Unfortunately, Newark (my home town near enough) has become rather yuppified very much in the manner in which Bury St. Edmunds did; high property prices due to ease of commute to London which will mean the new “locals” will look with disdain on nasty dirty smelly lorries within their line of sight.

Good luck to them getting rid of the diesel fairies on Tolney Lane though!

There is a new truck stop opening next to the new Royal Mail building. I walked there yesterday it will be opening soon. Maybe that’s why Rugby has been closed

I spent some of my teenage years in Newark.In those days there was no bypass and there was a 24 hr.cafe opposite the castle.I particularly remember F.and F.Robinson half cab Fodens and their 8 wheelers with a single axle semi trailer on the back.My schoolmate’s dad owned a 24 hr.cafe at Long Benington before that village had a by pass.I also had a school holiday job working on the by pass while it was under construction.I wanted to drive the Dodge 6 wheelers delivering materials along the site but I had to settle for working with the gang who erected all the traffic signs.They are still standing to this day ! Those were the days;young and care free.

^^^^ I worked for F&F’s and I remember the half cab Fodens. Old man Fred was paranoid about the drivers carrying passengers so he opted for them, he also had the passenger seats removed from traditional cabs too.

This was the man who took the bulbs out of the right indicators to save money as he reasoned that we could use hand signals to turn right! :smiley:

WheelsofCardiff:
There is a new truck stop opening next to the new Royal Mail building. I walked there yesterday it will be opening soon. Maybe that’s why Rugby has been closed

That’s only going to be partially open to public (as in from outside the area) with the other part open to be used by trucks serving DIRFT.

No idea how it will work or how long that will last or hiw it will be managed.

My own opinion is that all new logistics park type places should have truck parking as standard planned into the development.

I do know that locally the nimbys in Clifton and Newton are monitoring the situation ready fot a moan.