Night Owl Truckstops Closed?

I’ve just had an unconfirmed report that the Official Receiver has been called in to Night Owl Truckstops and therefore no fuel, food or parking are available at Rugby, Alconbury and the rest of the UK’s only truckstop chain.
Can anyone substantiate this story?

I have just searched my usual online news sources and can find nothing to substantiate this rumour at the moment.

There have recently been stories about the unavailability of diesel at NoghtOwl truckstops in the commercial press but these were explained away by a spokesperson from the company.

I have my own opinion but decline to state it here.

Vince

hi, There is still parking and food at the Penrith truckstop but the fuel pumps have been closed off!!! Is this a sign?

Now they are independant, they can’t get fuel at the prices chain garages can get it at, and they don’t have the negotiating muscle of a sainsubrys or tesco to get cheap fuel.

They have to try and find it at the prices independants pay, which is higher. Maybe they just decided to not sell it instead of making us pay extortionate prices?

From what I understand, nightowls have been going well and profitably since their split from BP. I think it’s just a rumour.

I used to frequent them years ago when they were all BP then they franchised them out and they went down hill fast. During the early 90’s you’d be lucky to find a parking space at any after 5.00pm.
I drew and painted a murel on the back wall at the Rugby one, it filled the entire wall then the new franchiee wallpapered over it and when I complained he said he wanted to get rid of truck drivers and make it more like ‘Little Chef’ the business went down hill from then on.

Well they have themselves to blame. Overpriced/substandard food need i go on. I’d rather cook up a meal on my camping kit…far nicer !!
Also, i tried to lift diesel at the truckstop just south of M54 week before last…guess what ■■ no fuel !! luck for me i had my site directory and found Crick just up the road.
I only use South Mimms as a last resort, or any of the major players for that matter…

For those that use alconbury and travel north up the A1m,kates cabin is being totaly rebiult as a new bp garage with truck height canopies.So why should they supply nightowl with fuel?it will only take customers away from them…If bp cant supply fuel at bunker prices they will lose business so cant let them use the bp logo…The revenue from fuel far outways the revenue from the eatery ■■

:open_mouth: I have spoken to Night Owl staff during this week. I am told that the current situation is that the business is in hands of Administrators, and that a number of staff have been laid off.There is no fuel because they can’t pay for it. Please note that the menu (for want of a better description) has changed and shortened. I did hear one comment that Night Owl have 4 weeks to find a buyer or else.
I do not want to get into slagging matches over whether this is just desserts or not. Imagine the scenario of not being able to access the parking areas if they closed. Everywhere is full already. I am currently doing work for Securicor who demand I park in approved sites, and Night Owls are on the list. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :wink: :wink:

anyone got any contacts with the french arcotel group

Pat Hasler:
I used to frequent them years ago when they were all BP then they franchised them out and they went down hill fast. During the early 90’s you’d be lucky to find a parking space at any after 5.00pm.
I drew and painted a murel on the back wall at the Rugby one, it filled the entire wall then the new franchiee wallpapered over it and when I complained he said he wanted to get rid of truck drivers and make it more like ‘Little Chef’ the business went down hill from then on.

Pat, who did you used to drive for?? I was always in the Rugby one in the early nineties!!! I used to work for Coales (green ERF’s and trailers) and it was a regular haunt for the London drivers. Had ‘many’ a pint in there lol

hitch:

:angry: :angry: :angry: Not the Frogs…can’t cook, won’t cook. How about MAXI from Germany. Their places are really good :wink: :wink: :wink:

BP set up the truckstop chain largely to shift high volumes of diesel when there was a profit in doing that.

No doubt you will have noticed that an enormous number of small filling stations have closed down of late.

This, as has been said already, is a result of the “clout” which the larger supermarket chains have when ordering fuel by the ship-load.

Given that these truckstops are “brownfield sites”, which are now preferred over greenfield sites for new housing, I would imagine that the value of the site is higher as a development plot than it will ever be as a truckstop. The same thing is happening with my local amusement park

I must admit that I am another one of those who would sooner go hungry than eat anything which has spent half its life sat under a halogen lamp at Alconbury truckstop. I am another of those who carries and cooks all his own food. I also rarely park in them as they are too noisy at night for my liking.

Still, their loss will not be good news.

Vince

Pat, who did you used to drive for?? I was always in the Rugby one in the early nineties!!! I used to work for Coales (green ERF’s and trailers) and it was a regular haunt for the London drivers. Had ‘many’ a pint in there lol
[/quote]

I was employed by Federal Express on the ‘Matchbox’ contract. We used Rugby BP as our second home. If the bosses couldn’t get an answer on our cab phones they would phone the truck stop. :sunglasses:

hitch:

they don’t even run the BPs in France any more, sold out over the last year, food is still cooked by the same people though

TK Dave:
I’ve just had an unconfirmed report that the Official Receiver has been called in to Night Owl Truckstops

Ah well, that’s what they get for pinching my name without asking! :laughing: :laughing:

P.S. Carlisle Truckstop hasn’t had fuel for ages.

Personally I hope Nightowls Alconbury site has gone bust, its by far the worst truckstop I can ever remember using.

While I can understand the sentiments behind your post Alan the fact is that if it/they have gone bust it leaves even less truck parking in this country. More people will use lay-bys etc. with the risk of being the victim of crime that that brings.

didnt nightowl anouncw that they were looking to increase the number sites they owned and extend wolverhampton not long ago maybe they were being a little optimistic but i hope a buyer is found as we need the parking they have :unamused:

It would seem strange that no one from nightowl has responded to this thread perhaps there is some truth in the forclosure of nightowl…Its only few years back that all the main motorway bp fuel stations closed in belgium ?..

oddsodz:
It would seem strange that no one from nightowl has responded to this thread ?..

They weren`t called “Nightowl” for nothing.

Houses on all of those brownfield sites this time next year.

Vince