Attestation form

Now that DVSA are getting us to do there work for them, (carrying proof of doing nothing for a month), what are we part time Agency workers supposed to do?, I mean, who’s actual responsibility is it to provide the attestation form that is required to furnish proof of inactivity for the last 28 days, I usually only do 2 to 3 days a week on a night trunk, but I’m buggering off to Australia for the next 5 weeks, so when I come back, how do I obtain said form?

Sapper

Print one out from the internet
transport.ec.europa.eu/transpor … ivities_en

sapper:
Now that DVSA are getting us to do there work for them, (carrying proof of doing nothing for a month), what are we part time Agency workers supposed to do?, I mean, who’s actual responsibility is it to provide the attestation form that is required to furnish proof of inactivity for the last 28 days, I usually only do 2 to 3 days a week on a night trunk, but I’m buggering off to Australia for the next 5 weeks, so when I come back, how do I obtain said form?

Where do the DVSA say that you have to prove inactivity for 28 days by completing an attestation form?

If you do international work and need an Attestation form, you can download it here, as far as I’m aware if you don’t go over the water you don’t need an attestation form.

If you don’t go over the water but want to cover yourself, you can manually write the start and end times of the prolonged rest period on a printout or chart.

What a stupid country this is for f s

sapper:
I’m buggering off to Australia for the next 5 weeks,

Rule 1 is to carry the last 28 days records with you (in a compliant format).
I reckon your tacho card (showing 5 weeks of rest) would be sufficient.

Is there a specific additional requirement?

There’s not even a requirement for an attestation letter abroad anymore as far as I’m aware, providing you have a complete record on your card (Inc rests etc etc) with no gaps, there’s essentially no gaps for an attestation to fill.

I used to get one “just in case” but was never asked for them.

Bring the form with you, Sapper. I’ll witness it for you. :wink: :laughing:

Is this about the need to record all activities? If it’s something else, ignore the stuff below
EDIT: if it’s just to cover a five week holiday, you just need option 3 at the bottom of the post

The last thing I read (in detail) was that attestation forms were not acceptable. There’s only three ways DVSA say are acceptable to record things that aren’t naturally recorded on your card (see below)

There was some modicum of change at some point, with RHA claiming they’d scored some big victory regarding “block entries”, I’m not convinced it was anything to crow about but here’s their “big whoop”

“There is no need for a driver to record every single 24-hour period individually. If a driver is on rest from the Friday to the Monday morning, they can enter that as one block of rest. The same would apply to daily rest, so a driver finishes at 17:00hrs on a Monday and is on rest until 06:00hrs the next day, then they can record all that period under one block of rest.”
news.rha.uk.net/2022/08/23/impo … ntent.html

DVSA had originally stated (in a less than clear manner I thought):
“This record shall be entered either manually on a record sheet or printout or by use of manual input facilities on recording equipment”

So there’s only three ways of recording the info that would not naturally be recorded on your card, which are acceptable to show your 28 days worth of activities:

1. manual entries - not helpful of there’s a lot of info to input but for individual entries, it’s the simplest way
  2. on the back of an analogue wax chart - simple enough, but can you lay your hands on a stack of them?
  3. the most driver-friendly option for multiple entries is simply on the back of a tacho roll printout. If you’ve been stuck doing yard work for a week you can (apparently) make a simple entry listing the days, start/finish times and breaks.

They’ve been quoted as saying writing in a work diary is not acceptable (but writing on a scrap of tacho roll is? :unamused: ), but I’d say your diary would be the ideal place to store all the extra printouts.

Thanks for all the info guys, maybe I’m reading too much into it, Star down under, I’m going to Canberra, my son lives there, but we’re flying to Brisbane on Boxing Day if you fancy a pint, be spending a couple of days at Noosa Beach.

Sapper

Attestation is not for UK only drivers, DVSA gave example how to do block entries recently. It’s only 1 of 3. - on the card, print out or chart.

Well, that clears up a few things, the last job I went to was a place I’ve been quite frequently and the Transport Manager wrote me out an Attestation form like the one shown earlier in this post and kept moaning how he had to do this for any and all Agency he used.

Sapper

sapper:
Well, that clears up a few things, the last job I went to was a place I’ve been quite frequently and the Transport Manager wrote me out an Attestation form like the one shown earlier in this post and kept moaning how he had to do this for any and all Agency he used.

I’d say that’s just an arse covering exercise in case the DVSA ever have any reason to start asking questions.

It’s just one of the hoops companies are expected to jump through these days.

I went off narrowboating around Easter 2022 and didn’t drive a truck again until 28th September and when I put my card in the tacho the display said “Rest until now?” so I selected “Yes” and as far as I’m aware that’s my arse covered.

I agree Harry, that’s as it should be I think, they just need to read the card.

Sapper

Harry Monk:
I went off narrowboating around Easter 2022 and didn’t drive a truck again until 28th September and when I put my card in the tacho the display said “Rest until now?” so I selected “Yes” and as far as I’m aware that’s my arse covered.

Stevie Boy posted on this some while ago, with Stoneridge Tachos (Scania’s and some other makes) this is all you need to do, Siemens/VDO tachos you need to do an actual old-style manual entry

I’ve just finished five days as a Terberg pilot. Our driver trainer reminded me that on Monday I must do a weeks worth of manual entries when I start. I point blank refused and said that I’d just ok “rest until now?” He then spent 20 minutes with my card in a unit doing it for me.

I told him that if he’d screwed up anywhere and I got an infringement I wasn’t gonna sign it :smiley:

the maoster:
I’ve just finished five days as a Terberg pilot. Our driver trainer reminded me that on Monday I must do a weeks worth of manual entries when I start. I point blank refused and said that I’d just ok “rest until now?” He then spent 20 minutes with my card in a unit doing it for me.

I told him that if he’d screwed up anywhere and I got an infringement I wasn’t gonna sign it :smiley:

Why not just make your records on a printout? It’ll probably take you a minute or 2, then say no to rest till now if on stoneridge and then no to manual entry, that’ll then record the time the card was out as ? - unallocated time, don’t record it all as rest as that’s clearly gonna be a big no no that could cost ya.

Or is there a unit available every day or every other to do the manual entry on a daily basis

I used to regularly have 5 days to manually enter, it wouldn’t take more than 5 minutes

Harry Monk:

The company are not trying to cover your arse they’re trying to make sure there’s no comeback on the company :wink:

the maoster:

I don’t see the point of the driver trainer putting all your times into the tachograph but to be fair as a driver trainer he was right to stop you committing an offence, saying you’d been on rest when in fact you’d been working for the same company could potentially cause problems for you and them.

tachograph:

the maoster:

I don’t see the point of the driver trainer putting all your times into the tachograph but to be fair as a driver trainer he was right to stop you committing an offence, saying you’d been on rest when in fact you’d been working for the same company could potentially cause problems for you and them.

In my personal experience, any company which employs a “driver trainer” is best avoided as it’s a sure route into a culture which depends for its existence on form filling and compliance over best practice and efficiency.

Much like “Elf and Safety”, such people (and the so-called industry which spawns them) tend to justify their existence by dreaming up ways of making themselves indispensable; the words “potential” and “might” automatically translate to them as “can” and “will”. Like painting the Forth Bridge, their job is never complete.

I do not dispute, by the way, that some of it is desirable and even necessary. I would however argue that there is much which is utterly superfluous, but regrettably corporate management tend to have neither the cojones nor the wit to call time on it.