Changing my name to Stan Laurel

Had a delivery to Great Bear in Megna Park stuck the details in Roadlords - which served me well this past few weeks - and off I went. Roadlords kept taking me out of Megna Park and then demanding go along a road that said had a 7.5t limit further up, having read many posts on here I ignored it. Eventually after asking (this was 22:00) I was pointed to wards some place but I got there it was a different company. My sat nav wanted me to go up a different road pointing to the same place with a 7.5 t limit still there, but as the industrial building stopped and the road narrowed I thought flip, managed to turn round.

I turned to Google who took me to Great Bear but not the entrance, and I drove past it, had to go 10 minutes up the road to turn round

Next day collection in Rugby, I was given instructions, told it is on the right when you can go no further. Followed the instructions and came to a sign that said weak bridge 7.5t limit, but also it said ind estate, so once again with doubt in my head I overuled myself, the industrial units ended and I continued, got to the bridge, can’t go no further but only fields to both sides. It is 18.00 inconveniencing loads of people I set about reversing.

:frowning:

Presumably you have Google Maps on your phone, and if you haven’t already then download What3Words as well.

Use these in conjunction with your satnav (and NEVER rely on it entirely) to preview your route, and you’ll have less issues in future. Five minutes in a lay-by before the drop is much preferable to an hour’s faff when you get there.

PPPPPP. Proper Planning Prevents ■■■■ Poor Performance.

Guessing you were up Swift Valley in Rugby?

toonsy:
Guessing you were up Swift Valley in Rugby?

nah, sounds more like ■■■■ creek… :slight_smile:

Use Google Streetview to look at where you’re going so you can find the entrance on the map. That’s saved me loads of grief in the past, especially at spots where being able to turn left into the place isn’t going to happen. I’ve also had a few roadside tips where knowing what I’m going to face before I get there has changed the route I’ve intended to take and ultimately made the job easier. I’ve had drops where looking at Streetview before going made it clear you needed to reverse into the place, not drive into it.

Before sat navs when I last drove trucks, I never got into these pickles!

Downloaded what 3 words, fab piece of software, not used it in real life yet but playing with it seems brilliant.

Also downloaded Google street views and one of the options is truck navigation, but for whatever reason the search option is not very good

Macski:

Sounds like a simple solution then, stop using the sat navs, since they’re so bad :smiley:

Road lords is definitely questionable when it comes to 7.5t it keeps trying to take me down them aswell.

My god, I remember when all I had was an AA road atlas and a tongue in my head. How tf did I manage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neetsneets:

Macski:

Sounds like a simple solution then, stop using the sat navs, since they’re so bad :smiley:

I think the job has moved on since. Now you can be planned down to the minute as to how long the drive time should be, I can only imagine that in the past you weren’t micromanaged the same and had time available for planning your routes.