Connor we need your help

Is agency sick different to employed , I’ve always just told agency I’ll be off and that’s it , employed you self certificate then after a week you get a sick note
Yet mate says he’s rang in sick ( agency ) & said he won’t be in for rest of week as coughing etc , girl said they require a note from doctor , surely doctors don’t give notes for a few days sick , there not paying him so why are they bothered

dozy:
Is agency sick different to employed , I’ve always just told agency I’ll be off and that’s it , employed you self certificate then after a week you get a sick note
Yet mate says he’s rang in sick ( agency ) & said he won’t be in for rest of week as coughing etc , girl said they require a note from doctor , surely doctors don’t give notes for a few days sick , there not paying him so why are they bothered

Well I am sure Connor will confirm this but the benefits of agency is you choose the days you work lol. And on the flipside they can cancel a shift without any notice.

I got booked for a shift on Sunday. I just said no thanks lol and zero probs.

Now on the flip side he still may be entilted to SSP. But you can only get that usually if you have a doctors note. Which may be why the agency is asking for it. tell him to google SSP and agencies for more info.

There is also a good chance that the agency really want him to work so are trying strongarm him into working.

Edit:
Also could be some new covid policy. Sounds like he has a few symptoms of covid (Yea, coughing could mean anything but it is a possible side effect of covid). So maybe they need to ensure he does not have covid.

Thanks that does help

Quote; ‘‘Conor we need your help’’ :neutral_face:

Oh yes,…We await the true wisdom of Conor with baited breath, and inevitably hang on to his every word. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

SSP seems to have to be applied for like an unemployment benefit… You don’t get it for the first six days of absence it seems neither, and the most complicated operation you’ll likely be kept in hospital for - used to be an appendix removal or cesarian section where you are back home out of Hospital after only FOUR nights stay…

So… What medical ailments are left - where you’d get SSP “no quibble” after being absent from work for six days, bearing in mind that trying to find a GP these days that’ll see you in that timeframe - is about as difficult as claiming SSP itself? :open_mouth:

Zero Hours Contracts - are pretty straight forward, meanwhile.
You only get paid for what you work.

HOWEVER… There was a time back in 2015 where I took ill in the middle of an agency shift one night, got taken to hospital by the workplace first aider, spent three hours there before being checked out, and eventually got cleared to return to work - for which I was paid all hours right through, so no complaints about agency attitudes towards sick there. (Mild Food Poisoning, threw up a few times, felt better whilst I was sitting being triaged in Chertsey General…) I got paid right through, including the time I was in hospital, i.e. I could manually book it as a manual entry as “other work” rather than “Break”, and I ended up booking around 14 hours, so “sitting in a hospital triage” was probably the daftest thing I got paid by the hour to do, whilst on agency on-and-off this past decade…

You don’t need a face-to-face appointment with your GP to get signed off. When my shoulder went pop earlier this year I simply phoned the surgery and one of the doctors called me back by appointment. I told them what had happened (they could see my hospital A&E notes online anyway) and a sick note was issued. I accessed it online, and emailed a copy to my boss. “Renewed” it a couple of times the same way then as it got a bit better the doctor issued another note advising what sort of work I was capable of and I returned to work on that basis.

All in all a bloody sight less hassle than traipsing off to the surgery every week or so to be seen just to get a piece of paper signed.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

robroy:
Quote; ‘‘Conor we need your help’’ :neutral_face:

Oh yes,…We await the true wisdom of Conor with baited breath, and inevitably hang on to his every word. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:[/quote
I’ve had loads of advice off Connor over the years and I’m very thankful of it rob , if it wasn’t for the likes of Connor / robk/ tachograph I wouldn’t be half the driver I am today
Like most things in life , if you want advice you go too the best , when it comes to agency / knowledge of agency then Conner is the number 1 go too , think it’s 35 yrs + working agency

dozy:

Nope sick pay is the same as employed, I had a month off sick in October. Self certificate for the first 7 days, SSP of £96 (although you’ll actually end up with £130 as you’ll get a tax rebate), don’t qualify for first 3 days unless it’s because of Covid then it’s from day 1.

gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/what-youll-get

You might also be able to claim universal credit whilst you’re off sick if you can bring yourself to go through applying for that.

Winseer:
You don’t get it for the first six days of absence it seems neither

Three days. And you don’t need to apply for it, your employer should pay it.

dozy:
I’ve had loads of advice off Connor over the years and I’m very thankful of it rob , if it wasn’t for the likes of Connor / robk/ tachograph I wouldn’t be half the driver I am today /quote]

Bit harsh to blame those guys I’m sure the advice offered was sound

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Tachograph?..a knowledgeable guy on drivers hours rules.
Rob K?..What can I say? :unamused: :smiley:
All I can remember about Conor’s dealings with dozy on here in the past., is his usual inimitable belligerence,.sarcasm and superiority towards him, in the way only Conor can deliver it. :laughing:

Winseer:
SSP the most complicated operation you’ll likely be kept in hospital for - used to be an appendix removal or cesarian section where you are back home out of Hospital after only FOUR nights stay.

Bunch of pansies. I had a kidney out on the Wednesday afternoon (27/10/21) and came home on Friday lunchtime. I’m still getting over it now. But honestly, I couldn’t wait to get out. :slight_smile: