Sick Pay

I’ve been off work on the sick since Jan 3rd after going into hospital for an operation on both eye’s. I go in for the second op this Wednesday and I could be looking at not going back to work untill July which will make it 6 month on the sick. Now the company i work for only pay you statuary sick pay and i was wandering if anyone on here knows if I could claim for anymore pay in some way or other as going from a good working wage every week to living of £65-£75 a week sick for six months when I have bills to pay etc is starting to take it’s toll. I asked them at work if I could do “other duties” but they said there were no other posts available but if anything came up they would let me know but nothing has materialised.

not sure about getting more mate, you may find yourself getting nothing from the company, as I think they only have to pay SSP for six month and then you will have to go on benefits, which will be means tested, however this may also mean you receive more. A lot depends on your contract of employment, does it mention sick pay :question:

green456:
not sure about getting more mate, you may find yourself getting nothing from the company, as I think they only have to pay SSP for six month and then you will have to go on benefits, which will be means tested, however this may also mean you receive more. A lot depends on your contract of employment, does it mention sick pay :question:

Not really checked tbh! :open_mouth: Can see it now if I have to go on benefits going into the Jobcentre for the mardy cow?feela revel in telling me I cant claim for anything even though i’ve paied my taxes and NI while skag heads and drunks saunter past to claim their emergency loans and go stright back out the door to get their bag of brown or 8 cans of special brew,then the Romanian/Kosovan walks in to claim his £400 handout,£40 in food vouchers,£30 towards his tv licence and £200 towards driving lessons! :unamused: :unamused: :smiley:

Think the citizen’s advice bureau might be your best best to find out exactly what you can and can’t do, if I was in your position it would be where I’d be heading. Hope it works out for you anyway, I was fortunate in that when I was unable to drive I could be found other duties around the yard for the duration which were boring but meant a wage was coming in.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

green456:

Not really checked tbh! :open_mouth: Can see it now if I have to go on benefits going into the Jobcentre for the mardy cow?feela revel in telling me I cant claim for anything even though i’ve paied my taxes and NI while skag heads and drunks saunter past to claim their emergency loans and go stright back out the door to get their bag of brown or 8 cans of special brew,then the Romanian/Kosovan walks in to claim his £400 handout,£40 in food vouchers,£30 towards his tv licence and £200 towards driving lessons! :unamused: :unamused: :smiley:

don’t think you will have to go to jobcentre Steve as you are not seeking employment, you are employed but due to illness unable to work. as said above seek advice from cab. Get the ball rolling now rather than waiting until you have no money coming in.
good luck mate and hope your op goes well, get well soon

Olog Hai:
Think the citizen’s advice bureau might be your best best to find out exactly what you can and can’t do, .

^^^^THIS ^^^^

I dont think you can get anything extra to top the SSP up, I couldnt but your case may be different.
If you’re still off once this runs out, you need to go to the job centre, they’ll give you a phone number to ring to start your claim for ESA which is £105 a week.
I’m on this after having shoulder replacement surgery.

cheers for the advice fellas. only time i’ve been off sick in 9 year of driving,well apart from 4 days off when i did the ligaments in my knee and it swelled up and had to rest it up.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
cheers for the advice fellas. only time i’ve been off sick in 9 year of driving,well apart from 4 days off when i did the ligaments in my knee and it swelled up and had to rest it up.

Daft question really but are you in a union ? If so could they help ?

bald bloke:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Daft question really but are you in a union ? If so could they help ?

Allready been in touch with them mate im with the URTU and they say they only do cover if you are in hospital not if you are just on the sick. I did get £150 from the insurance company that fella works for who prowls Toddington Southbound services. They give you £100 when admited to hospital and so much every night you are in for depending on the severity of your situation.

Maybe contact the pda-uk.org/ - they wont cover general living expenses but may be able to help if you need some help in a specific area- they are very approachable

The hospital may be able to advise you…many years ago when I went into hospital they gave me the SSP forms etc.

Might also be best going to your doctor also he/she will be able to help you with neccesary forms.

Have you got other insurances to cover your bills, at least mortgage?

I think you can claim council tax benefit if on SSP? Don’t quote me on that though, but I’m sure it’s based on your income, and at the time, your income is 65 quid a week…■■?

Any PPI you’ve been paying for anything, try and make a claim on the insurance - if it doesn’t pay out, go down the other route of mis-sold PPI :grimacing:

Good luck with the OP fella

waynedl:
Have you got other insurances to cover your bills, at least mortgage?

I think you can claim council tax benefit if on SSP? Don’t quote me on that though, but I’m sure it’s based on your income, and at the time, your income is 65 quid a week…■■?

Any PPI you’ve been paying for anything, try and make a claim on the insurance - if it doesn’t pay out, go down the other route of mis-sold PPI :grimacing:

Good luck with the OP fella

I still live at home so I ain’t got mortgage or rent to worry about,just quite a bit of debt to shift mainly and obviously the cost of living in this day and age. Cheers mate.