Statuary sick pay

How is that worked out , I’ve got nothing showing in bank , I assumed it would be £70/ £100 ish , but not showing anything , week befores money looks about right , so it doesn’t look like its on there , is it a case there hoping by not paying you anything they’ll starve you into a return to work :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :smiling_imp:

:unamused:

How long where you off for?

SSP is 88pound a week but only kicks in if you’ve been off for 4 or more days.

I’m stunned Stobarts doesn’t have company sick pay tbh.

Top employer stobarts put that on that back of your trailers. ‘This driver can’t afford to be sick’. No wonder they undercut proper employers green scum.

Most companies have a “waiting period” before sick pay kicks in,it stops people taking the ■■■■ with having odd days off when they can’t be arsed,you won’t get paid for them your sick pay kicks in after X amount of days defined by the company.

Has anyone sued the firm for having an “ill health” episode at work - which would never have happened if the employee could actually go sick without worrying about zero pay (or even lower!)

SSP is a benefit essentially. Firms should be damned well rich enough to provide their duty of care properly.

All a company sick system needs to incorporate - is measures in place to make sure staff don’t take the ■■■■.

My suggestion would be “Any sickness in a single year of 5 days or greater - counts against you - unless it involves hostpitalization.”

So…

Accident on or off duty - doesn’t count against
Sick absence of a week and up MUST involve hospitalization - or face a displiplinary
Odd days less than a week - three strikes and you’re out.

Where firms fall down at present is when Joe Bloggs takes 2 sickies, and then gets run over by a forktruck or something, and gets sacked for “too much sick”.
No difference was ever made between “self-cert” sick and “hospitalized” sick.
Firms really need to go back and look at this again - or get sued when they try and put staff languishing in hospital on zero pay or otherwise discipline them - which could be construed as a form of “Abuse”. :angry:

too much sick time goes against you ! back in the uk(late 90s) a good friend ,and one o gods grafters*(30+yrs wae company) was off work for the flu(the real flu ) about a week first time afe in donkey years anyway the big lad came back to work and the same day popped a hernia +(unloading) anyway the big lad was right in for an operation …What was waiting for him when he woke up ,■■? a final warning for taking time of work and a letter telling him to appear in front o the company doctor .
The big lad was going to accept it until some unidentified :smiley: person let the local rag know what was going on.Company ended up paying basic wage until he was right for work again .

if company dont pay up straight away ,

ring up the dole people and claim from them .

they will ask you if you are employed and then get it out of firm for you . if for any reason you are not elegible you all ready have your claim in and get the money every fortnight .

The problem is that when companies provide a proper sick pay scheme then people take the ■■■■. And it’s very very difficult to sack someone for sickness because they would have to prove that the person was not actually sick when they phoned in sick.

In my previous employment before I became a driver there was full sick pay scheme, but for each occasion you went off sick you came back to disciplinary action. First time you’d go on a stage 1 disciplinary which was an “informal chat” with your supervisor, next time would be a written warning, and next time would be a formal discussion with management with the possibility of reviewing your suitability for employment. That was in any rolling 12 month period, after which it would reset and you go back to a stage 1. So for the people that used to pull sicky’s they would do it once, twice at a push, then they would wait 12 months to do it again so they would never go further than a stage 1 or 2.

Even with a system like that in place which is there to deter people from taking the ■■■■, even if you got to a stage 3 in my view unless they can prove you weren’t ill when you said you were, which is impossible unless you’ve been stupid enough to put pictures on Facebook of you sat on the beach in Ibiza when you were off sick, then they’d struggle to sack you for sickness.

It’s a shame that because of those who do take the ■■■■ that means the rest of us only get SSP which lets face it, you can barely eat on that, never mind pay you living costs etc

Some firms don’t always pay when one takes a sickie. Thing is, this strangely does NOT cut down the amount of time lost by people phoning in sick - because the shift they had to do to day was likely to be an extra long one (salaried) or the snow was worse than usual, or of course “bod has got a runny nose” and just can’t be arsed.

Quite frankly, I’m amazed at how even putting someone on zero pay for the day taken as sick - staff don’t seem to care!

My last firm would give you full pay for the statutory waiting period, the same old faces would abuse it, time and time again. Eventually it was stopped, and you were then paid the statutory waiting period based on your previous work attendance, for the last 2 years. This system actually worked really well, as it was coupled with a “send home” policy, ie if you were sent home it did not affect your attendance record.

I used to pay drivers in full when they were sick, that is until somebody took the Michael and spoilt it for everyone, this one guy used to go sick every half term/ school holiday and low and behold his wife who worked part time would miraculously be doing full time hours those weeks whilst he looked after the kids at my expense, so one bad apple spoilt it for all yet the drivers blamed management not the guy who destroyed the trust.

MrH:
I used to pay drivers in full when they were sick, that is until somebody took the Michael and spoilt it for everyone, this one guy used to go sick every half term/ school holiday and low and behold his wife who worked part time would miraculously be doing full time hours those weeks whilst he looked after the kids at my expense, so one bad apple spoilt it for all yet the drivers blamed management not the guy who destroyed the trust.

Not every driver at your place would know what this clown was doing, all they saw was management suddenly taking away a good sick pay scheme. He took the ■■■■, management took the flack.

Winseer so your saying if you say have an infection of the eyes which does not involve a hospital you should be penalised if you don’t work. So you go back to work driving a truck when you can’t see properly so you are ■■■■■■ either way. I hope you never become a boss :grimacing:

Everybody that does not suffer from terminal naivety takes for granted, and fully understands that ‘Health and Safety’ is not real, it lies somewhere between Lip service and Pure ■■■■■■■■.
If it was a genuine entity with real concern for workers, it would cover real sickness scenarios in the Road Haulage industry, to the point where Statutory sick pay was compulsory in the job, On the grounds that …It is neither Healthy or Safe for a genuinely ill driver who cannot afford to take time off, to be in charge of 44 tonnes on a road. :bulb:

How many stobart drivers are driving whilst sick. Apart from sick in the head for working for such a company :open_mouth:

MrH:

Would it not have been better to gather evidence and single out the ■■■■■■■■■■ rather than penalise the rest of the genuine drivers.

Our sick scheme is brilliant, and the ■■■■ takers won’t be happy till they’ve destroyed it completely, i shall ■■■■ myself laughing at their bemused faces the day the company take it away.

LASHHGV:
How many stobart drivers are driving whilst sick. Apart from sick in the head for working for such a company :open_mouth:

is the correct answer. :grimacing:

Juddian:
Our sick scheme is brilliant, and the ■■■■ takers won’t be happy till they’ve destroyed it completely, i shall ■■■■ myself laughing at their bemused faces the day the company take it away.

is the correct answer :grimacing: don’t know they’re born. :unamused: