Statuary sick pay

boredwivdrivin:
if company dont pay up straight away ,

ring up the dole people and claim from them .

they will ask you if you are employed and then get it out of firm for you . if for any reason you are not elegible you all ready have your claim in and get the money every fortnight .

That is fine but they don’t pay you for the 1st 7 days

My SSP was in the bank the following week after my accident

LASHHGV:
Winseer so your saying if you say have an infection of the eyes which does not involve a hospital you should be penalised if you don’t work. So you go back to work driving a truck when you can’t see properly so you are [zb] either way. I hope you never become a boss :grimacing:

If you’ve got an infection of the eyes - why on earth would you choose to NOT involve a hospital?

Would it not be a duty of care to make sure that someone “not feeling very well” gets seen as quickly as possible for medical attention?

If I were a boss, and someone already on duty came up to me and said “I’m going off sick boss” - I would grab the pool car, and run them to casualty myself.
If I were a boss, and I thought they were trying to knock off early to make it to the cup final match - I’d try and find a way of replacing that member of staff by the start of what would have been their shift the following day.

I don’t like people who take the ■■■■ out of any generous system - in such a way that the workers end up carrying the shirkers all the time. :angry:

Winseer:
If you’ve got an infection of the eyes - why on earth would you choose to NOT involve a hospital?

Because he’s already been to see his GP and started his course of antibiotics?

What’s six hours sat in an A&E waiting room going to achieve?

Give your head a shake, Winseer. You’re talking ■■■■■■■■ for the sake of talking ■■■■■■■■… again. :unamused:

Contraflow:

Winseer:

Give your head a shake, Winseer. You’re talking ■■■■■■■■ for the sake of talking ■■■■■■■■… again. :unamused:

That’s almost a compliment MonkeyMan, as you’re basically crediting him with an excuse! :smiley:
It’s more than the rest of us have… :open_mouth:

Winseer’s an intelligent man, but sometimes the crap that spews out of his mouth makes me think he has some kind of disorder.

Contraflow:
Winseer’s an intelligent man, but sometimes the crap that spews out of his mouth makes me think he has some kind of disorder.

Carryfastism? :open_mouth:

This sort of stuff really boils my p$$ss.We have already had the Glasgow bin lorry episode,surely if a driver is unfit for work he should not be forced behind the wheel because of financial penalties.In the eighties I had a broken leg and was off work for 3 months and was on SSP .I had worked for the gits for ten years with zero absenteeism.

Winseer my wife had viral conjunctivitis was diagnosed and treat by gp.

FATBOY you just agreed with me. You do know I’m a scouser don’t you :grimacing:

alamcculloch:
This sort of stuff really boils my p$$ss.We have already had the Glasgow bin lorry episode,surely if a driver is unfit for work he should not be forced behind the wheel because of financial penalties.In the eighties I had a broken leg and was off work for 3 months and was on SSP .I had worked for the gits for ten years with zero absenteeism.

Bin lorry was ■■■■ all to do with sick pay. Just a small man unable to admit he was ill.

Contraflow:

Winseer:

Best hope you never find me being that boss then. :exclamation:

F-reds:

alamcculloch:

Bin lorry was [zb] all to do with sick pay. Just a small man unable to admit he was ill.

I’m sure there are plenty more driving trucks doing the same thing, it’s catching them before its to late to take action.

F-reds:
Bin lorry was [zb] all to do with sick pay.

+1
He passed out behind the wheel of a bus and in the canteen before quitting and got a job with the council. He could have quit and got a job doing something that didnt involve driving. Was sod all to do with financial hardship

LASHHGV:
Winseer my wife had viral conjunctivitis was diagnosed and treat by gp.

FATBOY you just agreed with me. You do know I’m a scouser don’t you :grimacing:

I think we are talking at cross purposes here.

Those in need of medical attention should get it at all speed. I’m not arguing against that.

There seems to be some confusion however in what constitutes “medical attention”.

Surely everyone isn’t suggesting that you only get it “at casualty” with all that 7 hour wait etc? - No one would expect to turn up at casualty and be admitted after such a wait surely?

If you turn up at casualty by yourself - you probably are not as ill as you think, and hence the long long waits…

If you turn up at your GP, and he admits you - it’s likely to be a lot more serious, and you’ll not be waiting at all.

I was never talking about a boss overriding a doctor here. If someone is ill - then they are going to be going to their doctor or straight to casualty. Those who merely want to go home in time for a 14:30 kick off are hardly going to be standing before you as “sending home manager” with gammy eyes, or otherwise obviously looking rather ill are they?

Also, it’s worth mentioning that people that are seriously ill before they attempt to come to work - not only won’t come in to start with - but will get the next of kin to phone in on the ill patient’s behalf… Right?

Examples:-

(1) I feel ill at work, so ask the boss if they can take me to casualty. Once there, they run some blood tests, and find out that I’m a bit anaemic, but nothing serious. Worth coming down, as Anaemia has serious implications for driving - but not serious enough to be admitted. After a couple of hours, I’m given the all clear (to drive as well), so I resume my shift - having been given a medical all clear. No need to bugger off home.

(2) I feel nauseous at home, so before phoning in sick, rather than just stay off work for the day, I go to see the GP. If he gives me the all clear in a similar manner to (1) then I attend work as normal. If he recommends I go to hospital, then I phone in sick and go. If I’m too ill to do this myself, then someone else does it for me.

It’s not rocket science. If anyone has issues with getting same-day appointments, etc. then that doesn’t mean I have an incorrect argument here. There are obviously going to be local differences between how I would play it, and expect others I’m in charge of to play it also. Even the football factor can be factored in as a result of me detesting the damned game, and giving short-shrift to the ■■■■ takers that involve it as a result. :smiling_imp:

I have always said drivers worry more about the hourly rate and not the terms and conditions of employment such as sick pay and death in service benefits so if the worse happens at least your family would have a little something , its high time we where paid as the professionals we are expected to be ! another reason we should be supporting a trade organization which is trying to change things dont just accept things fight for better

merc0447:
How long where you off for?

SSP is 88pound a week but only kicks in if you’ve been off for 4 or more days.

I’m stunned Stobarts doesn’t have company sick pay tbh.

Been off 2 weeks, said I’ve not been paid it as sick note went in too late to put into that weeks pay , told 2 weeks statuary sick pay , then 10 weeks basic , then x amount of weeks at 1/2 pay ( think 10 again)

The chap I’ve dealt with has been great , just said you’re never sick , get yourself right , if I’ve a issue its with there’s never any appointments , I’ve had 2 docs , I registra, 1 nurse practioner,
1 back
2 shoulder
3 bruised elbow
4 tennis elbow
The answer every time is stronger pain killers , more stuff to rub into arm, back , shoulder , why not a scan to see what is wrong
Then you’ve got the company saying can you drive , I don’t know until I try but I’ve tried with car and I’m struggling ,
So I’m going to try , see if I can , but like bloke said if you try and can’t then you’ll have to do another 2 weeks on statuary sick pay :unamused: , it’s not the best way to encourage a driver to see if he can drive or not is it
Been told by last 2 who said elbow , you must rest it , how do you do that on our job
But the blame lies on me really , I continued to work with pins and needles all down side back , pain killers , rubs , till it was that bad I couldn’t drive any more , warning there see doc sooner

Dozy i feel your pain last year gad pain in the elbow and wrist, shoulder doctor said is was pinched nerve had all sorts of pain killers which had a limited effect i was off for 6 weeks in the end i went to a sports injury clinic privately after my 1st visit she had diagnosed the exact nerve by where the pins and needles where it wasent cheep at 40 pound a session but it did work

 An absence from work is called a “Period of Incapacity for Work” (PIW).

 A PIW cannot be formed until the employee has been absent from work for at least four days due to physical or mental illness (in forming a PIW, the consecutive days are the important factor - it doesn’t matter whether or not they are normal working days).

 SSP is only payable for absences on “qualifying” days. Each employer must agree a normal working week with his or her employees. These days of the week are then considered to be the "qualifying days’. When a PIW is formed, the employee will become entitled to receive SSP for each normal working day (or “qualifying day”) on which they are absent. For example, a normal five day per week worker will only be paid SSP for the relevant days Monday to Friday on which they are unable to work due to sickness.

 SSP is not paid for the first three qualifying days of a PIW, these are known as “waiting days”.

bjd:
Dozy i feel your pain last year gad pain in the elbow and wrist, shoulder doctor said is was pinched nerve had all sorts of pain killers which had a limited effect i was off for 6 weeks in the end i went to a sportsuld injury clinic privately after my 1st visit she had diagnosed the exact nerve by where the pins and needles where it wasent cheep at 40 pound a session but it did work

Thanks bjd, I wouldn’t mind paying just to get sorted, paid out £16 — for 2 prescriptions yesterday , £ 15 today for a tennis/ golf elbow clasp from boots , that’s £30 for stuff to treat a tennis elbow , but I’m still not convinced that’s what I’ve got , it changes every time I go , depends who I see, another doc tomorrow :frowning: , just don’t know why they don’t do a scan , thanks again , I’ll look into that

dozy:
The chap I’ve dealt with has been great , just said you’re never sick , get yourself right , if I’ve a issue its with there’s never any appointments , I’ve had 2 docs , I registra, 1 nurse practioner,
1 back
2 shoulder
3 bruised elbow
4 tennis elbow
The answer every time is stronger pain killers , more stuff to rub into arm, back , shoulder , why not a scan to see what is wrong
Then you’ve got the company saying can you drive , I don’t know until I try but I’ve tried with car and I’m struggling ,
So I’m going to try , see if I can , but like bloke said if you try and can’t then you’ll have to do another 2 weeks on statuary sick pay :unamused: , it’s not the best way to encourage a driver to see if he can drive or not is it
Been told by last 2 who said elbow , you must rest it , how do you do that on our job
But the blame lies on me really , I continued to work with pins and needles all down side back , pain killers , rubs , till it was that bad I couldn’t drive any more , warning there see doc sooner

so why docent a company like Stobbarts have a private scheme such a BUPA other are available for you to go to to help ( know mu son company have AXA think his is ) this will help with any medical care including physio etc