night out

stupid question i know but on the presumption its better tobe thought stupid than screw up what do i do with the tacho when i pull up at the overnight stop. Card out routine or leave card in on break

Leave it in…

All night on rest.

Others will say take it out.

Some operators prefer you leave it in, but i hoof it out every time and do a manual entry in the morning.

You might need to move a yard or two at some point, maybe to let another vehicle in or out.
You might want to start and run the engine for a few minutes either to charge the batteries if you’ve been hammering the inverter or whatever or to run the aircon for a few mins before trying to get some shut eye…some lorries have the tacho wired wrong from day one and it never gets sorted, we’ve all had lorries that even if you turn the ignition on to wind a window down or up the tacho defaults off break and onto other work.

No such thing as a stupid question, we can all learn new things no matter how long been doing something.

I leave it in
.but worked for a while at one place they said take it out…as leaving it in on break all night . There card download thing doesn’t like it for some reason. It gave out errors

I’m out

I just leave mine in for convenience if nothing else.
I think both ways are acceptable if checked by DVSA.

As above, both ways are legal.
But I pop mine out at night…My card that is.
Got fined once for not always entering start and end countries, so popping card prompts that entry.
If card is out you are sure no work is being recorded. If you are as ham fisted as me and double tap the mode button you won’t be on rest. (No fine, but a very embarrassed me)

I personally leave mine in, but because I’m a good boy I do it properly in as much as at the end of shift I end country, put it on bed and in the morning I begin country and put it on other work as I do my pretend 15 minute check.

Personal choice however.

I leave mine in too. Though have had one night on POA in error. And missed a few start times so lost a couple of sheckles.
I’ve a (not) stupid question. All the assignments I’ve had that has had nights out have always paid parking as well as night out money. Is this universal or are there companies out there that resfuse to pay parking? Expecting the driver to pay themselves if the ‘choose’ an MSA or lorry park.

Personally I take mine out. I’ve also had places ask to leave it in.

Like Franglais said its prompts the end/begin country thing. I also manual entry from card out to card in again although that’s as easy now as pressing “rest until now” and selecting yes.

Franglais:
As above, both ways are legal.
But I pop mine out at night…My card that is.
Got fined once for not always entering start and end countries, so popping card prompts that entry.
If card is out you are sure no work is being recorded. If you are as ham fisted as me and double tap the mode button you won’t be on rest. (No fine, but a very embarrassed me)

I leave mine in, same as you say you have to manually enter start and end of duty country except Spain where they want the region entered as well.
Start of duty automatically defaults to the country you booked off the previous duty, only time you would have to manually change it would be on an overnight ferry crossing from one country to another.

We were advised to take it out and do manual entry, as apparently the overnight download of the telematics could possibly affect the mode setting !!

trucken:
We were advised to take it out and do manual entry, as apparently the overnight download of the telematics could possibly affect the mode setting !!

So which pointy shoe wearing school leaver in the office came up with that?
Truck fitted telematics would never have been given type approval if true.
The industry is being swamped with idiots in offices with nothing better to do than attempt to exert their lack of authority.

the maoster:
I personally leave mine in, but because I’m a good boy I do it properly in as much as at the end of shift I end country, put it on bed and in the morning I begin country and put it on other work as I do my pretend 15 minute check.

Personal choice however.

What’s all this begin and end country ■■■■■■■■ mate?
Mine never asks me that, and if you’re just driving in one country what’s the point.
And what kind of driver are you…you should be walking around in full hi viz and hard hat with your clipboard and pen in hand, you should know that .
Good boy my arse. :imp:
:wink:

Mine stays in 24/7 only comes out when i go on holiday and then only if I remember but Truck stays at mine all year round and no one else drives it

robroy:

the maoster:

Personal choice however.

What’s all this begin and end country ■■■■■■■■ mate?
Mine never asks me that

So you’ve never ejected your card? It asks you the country every time you take your card out.

I was told by complience officer who deals with vosa that they want it left in , put it in on Monday & don’t remove until last day of week , simply because it takes away any temptation to do 10 mins in morn with no card in , drive to yard exit & put it in etc etc
Which is right to be honest

vonmax:
Mine stays in 24/7 only comes out when i go on holiday and then only if I remember but Truck stays at mine all year round and no one else drives it

Might be about time you considered downloading it mate.

LazyDriver:
I leave mine in too. Though have had one night on POA in error. And missed a few start times so lost a couple of sheckles.
I’ve a (not) stupid question. All the assignments I’ve had that has had nights out have always paid parking as well as night out money. Is this universal or are there companies out there that resfuse to pay parking? Expecting the driver to pay themselves if the ‘choose’ an MSA or lorry park.[/quote
Lot of places don’t pay night out parking.
Where I work don’t get paid parking were expected to park where ever long as it’s free.
Which personally I prefer.
Tonight parked up 5 min walk was in nice quiet pub had a meal and a drink walk rpind for half an hour stretch my legs clear my head a bit.
Can’t do that at services.
Am happy parking where I like I have my spots where can get a nice meal go for a walk and a good sleep.

But saying that if have a valuable load on i.e. truck full of beer drinks something valuable.
Just ring the ownwer and he’s happy to pay parking.

In when on night out
Out when in yard as all it needs is the truck to be moved and not turned back to break