Digi

Just a quick question.

I mentioned to another driver that I pull my card when parked up on a night out and he replied “Why do that, leave it on rest and you will be fine” Thing is, how do you let the tacho know that you have finished the day? or is it best to just carry on doing what I am doing?

You don’t need to “let the tacho know” anything. You will have your 11 hour (or 9) rest and the tacho records 11 hours of you being in bed. So Vosa look at your tacho and for 5 nights last week the tacho says your truck did not move and you were in bed. :wink:

Been raised before & it’s no problem either way, despite what some may say. I pull mine out in a night through habit …the card that is !! :wink: lol

mickyblue:
Just a quick question.

I mentioned to another driver that I pull my card when parked up on a night out and he replied “Why do that, leave it on rest and you will be fine” Thing is, how do you let the tacho know that you have finished the day? or is it best to just carry on doing what I am doing?

Personally I always preferred to take the card out but it’s really a matter of personal choice.

If you want to leave the card in, on a Siemens digital tachograph when you finish the shift:

1. Press OK to go to the driver 1 printout display.
  2. Use the arrows to scroll down to Entry Driver 1
  3. Press OK (screen displays “Driver 1 begin country”).
  4. Use the arrows keys to change it to Driver 1 end country.
  5. Press OK.
  6. Select country.
  7. Press OK.
  8. Return to standard screen and check that the activity is still on rest.

At the start of the next shift do the same but to select the start country.

alder:
You don’t need to “let the tacho know” anything. You will have your 11 hour (or 9) rest and the tacho records 11 hours of you being in bed. So Vosa look at your tacho and for 5 nights last week the tacho says your truck did not move and you were in bed, VOSA then issue you with a £30 fine for not entering the end country symbol. :wink:

I’ve fixed that for you :wink:

The regulations require you to give the start country at the start of the working day and the end country at the end of the working day.

There’s a £30 fixed penalty for failing to enter the symbol for the country where the daily work period starts or ends.

tachograph:

alder:
You don’t need to “let the tacho know” anything. You will have your 11 hour (or 9) rest and the tacho records 11 hours of you being in bed. So Vosa look at your tacho and for 5 nights last week the tacho says your truck did not move and you were in bed, VOSA then issue you with a £30 fine for not entering the end country symbol. :wink:

The regulations require you to give the start country at the start of the working day and the end country at the end of the working day.

There’s a £30 fixed penalty for failing to enter the symbol for the country where the daily work period starts or ends.

Am I right in thinking if you don’t show End in country, can be classed as a non stop shift, even though you are on rest?

mickyblue:

tachograph:

alder:

Am I right in thinking if you don’t show End in country, can be classed as a non stop shift, even though you are on rest?

No. it would be the same offence as not writing your start/finish point on an anolouge tacho disc.

mickyblue:

tachograph:

alder:

I’ve never heard of that one, I would think it’s more likely that you would simply get either a verbal warning or a fixed penalty for not entering the start/end country symbol.

At the end of the day if you’ve had 11/9 hours rest within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift you’ve had a daily rest period and nothing can really change that.
But the regulations do require that you enter the country symbol for the start and end of the daily work period, just like you have to write the start and end locations on an analogue chart.

tachograph:

mickyblue:

tachograph:

alder:

I’ve never heard of that one, I would think it’s more likely that you would simply get either a verbal warning or a fixed penalty for not entering the start/end country symbol.

At the end of the day if you’ve had 11/9 hours rest within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift you’ve had a daily rest period and nothing can really change that.
But the regulations do require that you enter the country symbol for the start and end of the daily work period, just like you have to write the start and end locations on an analogue chart.

So, when does your 9/11 hr break start? is it when you put the tach on rest, or an hour later when you remeber you haven’t entered the end country?

weeto:
So, when does your 9/11 hr break start? is it when you put the tach on rest, or an hour later when you remeber you haven’t entered the end country?

Interesting question, I think you’ll find that the shift ends when you enter the country symbol, if you enter the country symbol.

I’m not sure how analysis software sees it, but I would guess that the analysis would regard the end of shift as the time you entered the end location if it was different to the time you put the tachograph on rest.

If there’s any chance of forgetting to enter the country symbol it’s another reason to take the card out though in my opinion.

I have never entered the country symbol, just said OK to UK. Worked for several firms now and they have never pointed it out as an infringement and it was not covered on the CPC so I am going to check the notes I brought away form the course.

alder:
I have never entered the country symbol, just said OK to UK.

I think you’re misunderstanding what’s being said.

If you take the card out the option to select the country symbol is given during the card ejection process, when you press “OK” to UK you are selecting the symbol for the country you’re in.

The symbols we’re talking about are the abbreviations for the country, such as “UK” for the UK, F for France, IRL for Ireland ec’t.

If you leave the card in at night you won’t have the automatic prompt for the country symbol so you need to select it manually at the end of the shift and again at the start of the next shift.

tachograph:

alder:
I have never entered the country symbol, just said OK to UK.

I think you’re misunderstanding what’s being said.

If you take the card out the option to select the country symbol is given during the card ejection process, when you press “OK” to UK you are selecting the symbol for the country you’re in.

The symbols we’re talking about are the abbreviations for the country, such as “UK” for the UK, F for France, IRL for Ireland ec’t.

If you leave the card in at night you won’t have the automatic prompt for the country symbol so you need to select it manually at the end of the shift and again at the start of the next shift.

Ah I see, I have never done overnight so I had not come across that event. In that case then if you did not enter an “End Country” and the next day a “Beginning Country” would the tacho printout or data on the card default to the country at the beginning? If not what would it display on say a printout? A blank line or the default when you stared? So for example:
Start work Monday morning at 0900 and select UK
slept overnight in some urine smelling layby
Worked Tuesday
slept another night in a brothel on the a38
Got back to base Wednesday 1400
Withdraw card and select UK as default end Country

So my card would say that I started in the UK on Monday. I had all the rest I needed depicted by the bed symbol and when I drove etc. and then ended in the UK on Wednesday. Why would VOSA want to fine you for not stating that on Monday night you were in the UK and Tuesday night you were in the UK. Providing you never left the UK could it not be seen as default that the whole of this time was in fact IN THE UK me lud?

you need to select your end country if leaving your card in overnight, you will be done for the same thing if you did not enter a start/finish location on a paper chart

alder:
Why would VOSA want to fine you for not stating that on Monday night you were in the UK and Tuesday night you were in the UK. Providing you never left the UK could it not be seen as default that the whole of this time was in fact IN THE UK me lud?

Because the regulations specifically require you to record this information. VOSA’s own rules (GV262 - which all LGV drivers should have a working knowledge of) clearly states “record the country in which they begin and end their daily work period. This must always be carried
out at the time of the start or end of the period, even if the card is not to be withdrawn or inserted
(for example if the card is left in overnight);”

Well you learn something everyday thanks for pointing this out. Come in handy if I do nights away cheers :wink: :wink:

alder:
Ah I see, I have never done overnight so I had not come across that event. In that case then if you did not enter an “End Country” and the next day a “Beginning Country” would the tacho printout or data on the card default to the country at the beginning?

When you insert/eject the card it will default to the last country entered if you just leave it to do it’s own thing.

If you leave the card in between shifts and do not manually select the country I imagine the card would simply show that you started one day in the UK and that you finished another day in the same country, and it would show all the activities in-between including the rest period.

alder:
Why would VOSA want to fine you for not stating that on Monday night you were in the UK and Tuesday night you were in the UK. Providing you never left the UK could it not be seen as default that the whole of this time was in fact IN THE UK me lud?

It’s always been an offence not to put the location of the start and end of shifts.

On analogue tachographs you write the town/city/nearest location, on a digital tachograph apart from a few countries that have regions you can select you only have to put the country.

As for why VOSA would want to fine you for failing to enter the country, I don’t know how strict VOSA are on this but I guess it’s the same as any other legal requirement, you either do it right or take the chance of getting fined, I suppose they might fine you for failing to comply with the regulations or maybe they’d fine you because they can, or maybe a bit of both who knows

I always pull the card on nights out no matter what, just a habit I’ve got in to. Just ejected it and leave it sat in the unit then push it in in the morning, easier that way.

I said in a previous post that it’s a possible £30 fixed penalty for failing to enter the symbols for the country where a daily work period starts and ends.

I must have been looking at an old sanctions booklet because it’s actually a possible £50 fixed penalty.

Page 145 - Enforcement Sanctions Policy

edit: I can see now that a new sanctions booklet has been published this month.

tachograph:
I said in a previous post that it’s a possible £30 fixed penalty for failing to enter the symbols for the country where a daily work period starts and ends.

I must have been looking at an old sanctions booklet because it’s actually a possible £50 fixed penalty.

Page 145 - Enforcement Sanctions Policy

edit: I can see now that a new sanctions booklet has been published this month.

Yeah we did that on the CPC, all the fines have gone up as the Government want more out of us. Interestingly our tutor pointed out that when VOSA started they were 40 million pounds in the red. They are now 26 million in the black so it was a good investment by our lovely government wasn’t it?