144 hour rule

If i start work 2200hrs tonight i need to take a weekly rest before 2200hrs Saturday night. Is that correct?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Briefly, yes.
You need to start your weekly rest 144hrs (6 times 24hrs) from start of week. Start rest 22hrs Sat if you start 22hrs Sun.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F ing hell how many hidden eu rules are there ffs

TruckDriverBen:

It’s not hidden mate, it’s all there in black and white.

TruckDriverBen:

It’s the same rule that’s been there since the 1990s. If you don’t understand it by now you shouldn’t be in a lorry.

TruckDriverBen:

Others have pointed out its been there all along so I’ll not add to that.

However in part its confusion over the rules. Most people work in days (can I do six days etc) but reality is the regs don’t mention days, they mention hours or periods. It’s just easy and most common to assimilate 144 hours as six days (because 6 x 24hr days = 144hrs).

Precisely, it’s 6x 24 hour work periods, not 6x days.
I’ve seen drivers make illegal schedules for their week’s work because they have different start times each day. For example, a driver starts at 7am on Monday then 4am on Tuesday, but doesn’t realise that the first three hours of Tuesday are actually in his first 24hour work period of the week.

Its fairly simple schoolboy arithmetic,

168 hours in a 7 day period
144 in six 24 hour periods.

11 + 13 hours equals 24
9 + 15 hours equals 24

3+9, not 9+3 equals 12
Only 15+30 equals 45 minutes

56+34 equals 90 hours

Zac_A:
Precisely, it’s 6x 24 hour work periods, not 6x days.
I’ve seen drivers make illegal schedules for their week’s work because they have different start times each day. For example, a driver starts at 7am on Monday then 4am on Tuesday, but doesn’t realise that the first three hours of Tuesday are actually in his first 24hour work period of the week.

Really?
If the driver has had his daily rest, then a new 24hr period starts, doesn’t it?

^^^ As above. I CBA to sit down and work out the permutations but it’s distinctly possible to do a lot more than 6 shifts within your 144 hours. Especially if you are doing “short” shifts.

DVSA says differently, the start time of your first day of your working week sets the reference period for that week, in the example I gave the driver’s 24 hour work period goes from 7am Monday to 06:59:59 on Tuesday.

Back on the 90’s some fines were being given for exceeding 10hrs drive within a 24 period. This was often when a full driving day was followed by a sort daily rest, and the next morning the accumulated drive was over 10 in a 24hr period.
That was cleared up in '03 or '04■■ A daily rest resets the 24hr daily clock.
But the weekly 144hrs clock (6×24hrs) does clearly start from the start of the first work of a week.

the maoster:
^^^ As above. I CBA to sit down and work out the permutations but it’s distinctly possible to do a lot more than 6 shifts within your 144 hours. Especially if you are doing “short” shifts.

I’m always open to learning so if you couId BA to work out a legal schedule showing this I’d be very interested to read it.

Franglais:
That was cleared up in '03 or '04■■ A daily rest resets the 24hr daily clock.
But the weekly 144hrs clock (6×24hrs) does clearly start from the start of the first work of a week.

Again, I’d be happy to read that if you have a link to some reliable source material.

Zac_A:

the maoster:

I’m always open to learning so if you couId BA to work out a legal schedule showing this I’d be very interested to read it.

Ok Zac, that’s a fair question my man so I’ll give an example. It’s going to be an extreme example which would rarely if ever happen, but it would be legal and certain types of work (such as we’ve heard about with Slam transport for example) may just use this type of ridiculous pattern.

Monday 0600 start followed by 0900 finish (that’s correct, a 3 hour shift)

9 hours off and restart at 1800 hours Monday

Another 3 hour shift and finish 2100 Monday

Restart 0600 Tuesday and finish 0900 Tuesday

Restart 1800 Tuesday and finish 2100 Tuesday.

Restart 0600 Wednesday and finish 0900 Wednesday.

Restart 1800 Wednesday and finish 2100 Wednesday. There are no further reduced rest periods available so further rest periods must be of at least 11 hours.

Restart 0800 Thursday and finish 1100 Thursday.

Restart 2200 Thursday and finish 0100 Friday.

Restart 1200 (noon) Friday and finish 1500 Friday

Restart 0200 Saturday and finish 0500 Saturday

Restart 1600 Saturday and finish 1900 Saturday.

Ridiculous and would never happen in real life, but that’s an example of 11 technically legal separate shifts within a 144 hour period.

I’ve probably screwed the maths up somewhere along the line there so I’ll let you lot work it out and give yourselves the same headache I gave myself working it out in the first place :smiley:

"Daily driving time is either:

the total accumulated driving time between the end of one daily rest period and the beginning of the following daily rest period

the total accumulated driving time between a daily rest period and a weekly rest period"

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours

Example.
Start 00hr00
15 min check. 4hr15 drive. Book off.

Daily rest from 04hr30 to 13hr30.

15mim check. 4hr30drive. 45min break.
Now it’s 19hr00. 4hr30 drive.

23hrs30 from start of first work of the week you have done 13hrs15 driving.
But remembering that with a 9hr daily rest it is over two “days”. See quote above.

Ed
Written as Maoster was posting.
I weren’t gonna waste my effort.

Franglais:
Ed
Written as Maoster was posting.
I weren’t gonna waste my effort.

Bugger! I should’ve waited :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:, I’m on a days holiday, got my Missus in my ear, the bloody phone isn’t stopping, I’m trying to bingewatch A League of Their Own road trip and also dealing with the mental complexities of figuring out what I was gonna post!

I need a beer now :wink:

Cheers for that guys, plenty of numbers to be crunching but I’ll take it at face value for now.

But… I’ve never personally encountered such short shifts, maybe for guys tramping it might be viable work pattern, can’t say I’d fancy this myself.

Yeah you’re right mate, it is both ridiculous and extremely unlikely ever to happen that way. My point was though that strictly speaking we shouldn’t say that we can work 6 shifts between weekly rest periods.