144 hour rule..?

had a search, either i missed it, or its not in the wtd??

Worked 6 shifts last week (agency, so lucky me) - was told by the agency that i was within 30 minutes of the ‘144 hour’ rule, which i have to be honest, i knew nothing about.

Was told that i must take weekly rest no later than 144 hours from when my first shift started.

example - I started first shift (after 45 hour break) at 1400 on the Thursday - did 6 shifts, finishing at 1330 on the Tuesday. The Agency i am with are bob on with WTD, but i had never heard of this before

Is it new??

All i can see is that they have worked out that 144hrs = 6shift of a 24hr period ■■ which makes no sence as to why they have worked it like that ■■ thats the only thing I can see that they have done but why say it in that way I dont know

Coffee or tacho will tell you

nick2008:
All i can see is that they have worked out that 144hrs = 6shift of a 24hr period ■■

SPOT ON :smiley:

A weekly rest period shall start no later than at the end of six 24-hour periods from the end of the previous weekly rest period.

6 X 24 = 144

uckna:

Worked 6 shifts last week (agency, so lucky me) - was told by the agency that i was within 30 minutes of the ‘144 hour’ rule, which i have to be honest, i knew nothing about.

Was told that i must take weekly rest no later than 144 hours from when my first shift started.

example - I started first shift (after 45 hour break) at 1400 on the Thursday - did 6 shifts, finishing at 1330 on the Tuesday. The Agency i am with are bob on with WTD, but i had never heard of this before

Is it new??

hi mate i know its an example but that only 5 shifts or should i say 5x24 hour periods

also please remember if you start in mid week watch you driving hours, and you still only have 2 x 10 hours drive a week

delboytwo:

uckna:

Is it new??

hi mate i know its an example but that only 5 shifts or should i say 5x24 hour periods

also please remember if you start in mid week watch you driving hours, and you still only have 2 x 10 hours drive a week

you can still run 6 cards though in that amount of time

nick2008:
you can still run 6 cards though in that amount of time

hi mate that’s why i said this

delboytwo:
only 5 shifts or should i say 5x24 hour periods

144 hour rule…■■?

Mentioned in the VOSA GUIDE page 19

ROG:

144 hour rule…■■?

Thanks for all that - i didnt get as far as page 19 :slight_smile: - Thought i had got all the rules sorted in my head, just hadnt heard of this one before.

ROG:

144 hour rule…■■?

uckna:
Thought i had got all the rules sorted in my head, just hadnt heard of this one before.

It not written that way in the EU regs but is referred to in that 144 hour way in the VOSA GUIDE

Mathematically, 6 X 24 = 144 so whether it is said as 6 X 24 hours or 144 hours, it means exactly the same :smiley:

Bit like saying - in any fortnight or in any two consecutive weeks…

uckna:

Is it new??

Hope your agency don’t use the same calculator to work out your money, that’s only 119.5 hours so you are 24 hours and 30 minutes before you need to start a weekly rest.

:slight_smile: - just had a look a time sheet - it was Wednesday, not Tuesday - i was tired, sorry :slight_smile: - my pay was spot on

30 mins to spare - that was pretty close !!

crikey 144 hour weeks, are we rolling back the years too the good old days of drive till you drop lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

uckna:

BTW, this isn’t a WTD thing, this is a tacho regs thing.

delboytwo:

are you sure about that del?

your 10 hour drives ‘resets’ itself at midnight between sunday and monday so effectively he could do 4 10 hour drives in a row but only as long as he hasnt done one before his previous weekly rest (since the sunday/monday midnight) and doesnt intend to do another for the remainder of the ’ calender’ week!

Lee G:

delboytwo:

your 10 hour drives ‘resets’ itself at midnight between sunday and monday so effectively he could do 4 10 hour drives in a row but only as long as he hasnt done one before his previous weekly rest (since the sunday/monday midnight) and doesnt intend to do another for the remainder of the ’ calender’ week!

what i mean Lee, is if he worked Monday and Tuesday did a 10 hour drive on each day took a rest of 24 hours on Wednesday there is no more 10 hour drives left drives left in that week

Lee G:

delboytwo:

your 10 hour drives ‘resets’ itself at midnight between sunday and monday so effectively he could do 4 10 hour drives in a row

He could, but each week would only have two extended driving days, so Del was correct.

ROG:

ROG:

144 hour rule…■■?

uckna:
Thought i had got all the rules sorted in my head, just hadnt heard of this one before.

It not written that way in the EU regs but is referred to in that 144 hour way in the VOSA GUIDE

Mathematically, 6 X 24 = 144 so whether it is said as 6 X 24 hours or 144 hours, it means exactly the same :smiley:

Bit like saying - in any fortnight or in any two consecutive weeks…

And funnily enough we have had several drivers in our place, including me, who refused to drive as far as this 144 hour rule. none of us would entertain using a seventh card/chart to reach this 144 hour limit. Must be losing ourselves a fortune in overtime !!

Why do some go on about the number of charts - a lot is done on digis these days !!

Driver stays with same truck all week and never takes the digicard out until the next weekly rest starts.
Digi inserted at 0600 monday - providing that all the daily rests are complied with along with all the other usual stuff then, as long as that digicard is removed for a weekly rest at or before 0600 the following sunday, the driver is legal.

Mike-C:
And funnily enough we have had several drivers in our place, including me, who refused to drive as far as this 144 hour rule. none of us would entertain using a seventh card/chart to reach this 144 hour limit. Must be losing ourselves a fortune in overtime !!

you would never need to use a seventh card or chart to reach 144 hours you do it in six