Morrisons Sittingbourne Class 1

What are these like to work, money, shifts etc?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I know someone is on there albeit via an agency. He is on parity pay and he said its around £13 an hour on days, slightly more for nights and weekends if I remember correctly.

Says the work is a piece of cake although some of their systems and ways of working are slightly backward and a tad petty. It is clean easy work and I would imagine more secure than most other lines of employment in this game at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks, sounds ok then, not too terrible.
Are they’re stores we’ll set for deliveries, not like most of the Aldi ones…all blind side and crap!! [emoji1787]

Is Sittingbourne direct or is it one of the sites that has gone over to Wincanton?

I know working directly for Morrison’s used to very cushy, no load interaction etc. They’ve always struggled to recruit for Sittingbourne though, unlike most areas I don’t think the rate is too competitive compared to some. I always found the people in Morrison’s transport offices to be fairly decent unlike say Tesco for instance. I know it used to be hard work getting decent length shifts out of Morrison’s but I think that’s improved over the last couple of years.

ADR used to their main agency but I know they used to struggle with them wanting umpteen drivers one day then none the next, not sure who still supplies into them these days.

talknonsense:
I know someone is on there albeit via an agency. He is on parity pay and he said its around £13 an hour on days, slightly more for nights and weekends if I remember correctly.

£13/hr for agy parity pay isn’t great especially for the south east, we’re on more than that up north.

peirre:

talknonsense:

£13/hr for agy parity pay isn’t great especially for the south east, we’re on more than that up north.

Kent and the South East corner of it are notoriously low paid for driving work. I’m just going by the figures given to me by my pal. £13 an hour is definitely around the average for the Sittingbourne area. Venture further down to the Kent Coast and you’re looking at not far off minimum wage at some of the companies down there.

talknonsense:

peirre:

talknonsense:

Kent and the South East corner of it are notoriously low paid for driving work. I’m just going by the figures given to me by my pal. £13 an hour is definitely around the average for the Sittingbourne area. Venture further down to the Kent Coast and you’re looking at not far off minimum wage at some of the companies down there.

Your 100% right… Not a great area pay wise.
Thanks for the information in your first post.

pbc453:

talknonsense:

peirre:

talknonsense:

No problem. If I speak to him in the next day or so I will get some more information and send it to you via a private message if you like.

talknonsense:

pbc453:

talknonsense:

peirre:

talknonsense:

No problem. If I speak to him in the next day or so I will get some more information and send it to you via a private message if you like.

Yeah, that’d be great…cheers

I put in for a job at Sittingbourne in 2015. The rate back then for “Colleagues” was something like £9.68ph and you had one of two start times on an any-five-from-seven basis:

02:15 or 14:15.

I didn’t get the job I think, because I’d already put down on the application form that I wouldn’t go below £10ph.

I did some agency shifts in there after via Mainstream and Firmins, which meant i got to drive the decent Firmins tractors rather than the day cabs.
I’d passed the assessment, after all.

Runs I got at Morrisons were night deliveries to places like Crowborough, Hastings, and of course North London.

If Parity Pay is now north of £13, I might have to re-consider putting in for a job there. It is a fair enough rate for day work, I guess.

Hopefully, the firm might one day consider taking on some 4-on-4-off 12 hour shift workers, in which case I’ll be biting proverbial hands off… :neutral_face:

Why oh Why do firms insist on subcontracting the work out to outfits like DHL and Wincanton though??

Any yard that has no resident Union there - should surely be able to get rid of Full Timers they want shot of just as easily as telling some partner and agency combo “We want to not ask for this driver by name in the future”… :unamused:

Should be the easiest job in the world, all you have to do is hook up and drive, all unloading is done by the store.

Where the job falls down is the extremely poor management. You’ll get a rota change every few months, loads of split shifts, and usually long hours for supermarket work.

Management there seem to only be happy if they’re giving out disciplinary action for the most minor of actions. They struggle for drivers, don’t believe they’ve ever been at full driver capacity for several years as they struggle to retain drivers.

Money is ok for what it is though, £12ph.

andi_cardiff:
Should be the easiest job in the world, all you have to do is hook up and drive, all unloading is done by the store.

Where the job falls down is the extremely poor management. You’ll get a rota change every few months, loads of split shifts, and usually long hours for supermarket work.
Split shifts? How does that work exactly? You book off, go home, and come back later?

Management there seem to only be happy if they’re giving out disciplinary action for the most minor of actions. They struggle for drivers, don’t believe they’ve ever been at full driver capacity for several years as they struggle to retain drivers.

Money is ok for what it is though, £12ph.

Can’t afford to go that low, AND pay taxes on it… Taxes are going up soon, don’t forget… Need more headline rate to compensate… :sunglasses:

Split shifts - how does that work.

The only split shifts in driving I’ve come across is on service buses - morning and evening rushes.

And from memory not popular.

Socketset:
Split shifts - how does that work.

The only split shifts in driving I’ve come across is on service buses - morning and evening rushes.

And from memory not popular.

It’s what Morrisons call a reduced weekly rest!

Some of the rota’s that have been forced on staff had loads of single rest day/nights, rather than the expected two days off.

Used to find it absolutely exhausting when on nights personally.

Not surprising there’s such a turnover of staff then…

What gets me is WHY though?

If you employ someone for say, 96 hours across two weeks (nights) then surely it doesn’t cost any different if you do it say, 4x12 week one, 19:00 starts 4x12 week 2 07:00 starts for instance, compared to a two week cycle of
Sunday Off
Monday Off
Tuesday 10 hours 22:00 start
Wedne 10 hours 22:00 start
Thur 10 hours 22:00 start
Fri 10 hours 22:00 start
Sat 10 hours 22:00 start
Sunday Off
Monday 10 hours 02:00 start
Tuesday 10 Hours 02:00 start
Wedday 10 hours 02:00 start
Thurs 10 hours 02:00 start
Fri 10 hours 02:00 start
Sat off
Sun off

Looks like an excuse to make people work overtime without extra overtime pay - forever…
Unfriendly hours, Family unfriendly, Antisocial even for younger people, and of course jetlagged to piledrive mental ilness into one over time.

If there isn’t a driver shortage, then why bother having 18 drivers do 22 driver’s jobs?
Why not have 20 drivers working friendly hours, less per week so the cost is exactly the same overall?
There’s still no obligation for the firm to pay overtime, but at least things are laid back enough so that people don’t subtract from the bottom line via sickies, smashed up kit, PCNs, and even the cost in time, effort, and firm’s money in actually replacing staff that then up sticks and leave?

I made the mistake of applying for a job with indeed a week or two ago and my CV must be visible as I have had at least 10 different agencies phone me with offers of Morrison’s . When you tell them not interested in Agency and tell them they are the scourge of the industry and are keeping wages low they go quiet

You can hide ya cv from public view in the settings.

chester1:
I made the mistake of applying for a job with indeed a week or two ago and my CV must be visible as I have had at least 10 different agencies phone me with offers of Morrison’s . When you tell them not interested in Agency and tell them they are the scourge of the industry and are keeping wages low they go quiet

…I wonder if they also tell their “Client” Morrisons, that this guy Fred Bloggs is a useless git who must not be offered a full time job with you at any time, as in our opinion, they are a troublemaker… :question:

Winseer:

chester1:

…I wonder if they also tell their “Client” Morrisons, that this guy Fred Bloggs is a useless git who must not be offered a full time job with you at any time, as in our opinion, they are a troublemaker… :question:

Who really cares I never intend to do either limping or supermarket work

trevorking1964:
You can hide ya cv from public view in the settings.

Who said anything about submitted CVs being made public or not? It is the website that sends CVs to the agencies… I don’t think the General Public get to see anything they shouldn’t… It’s a need-to-know basis, and you’re invited to submit your CV in the FIRST place - because they say it will then be sent to “clients”… NOT “Agency Clients” but the agencies acting as clients to outfits like Jobisjob and Indeed…