Steering knobs.

Not talking about crap truckers here btw. :smiley:

My mate tells me his firm says that steering wheel knobs have been made illegal, by DVSA apparentlly.
One of their drivers had an rta where the steering knob was to blame (how tf that could be I don’t know :unamused: ) so first they’ve been told to remove them, then they say they are now illegal.
Office crap, or truth …anybody?

I’ve got dodgy tendons in my upper left arm, had injections for it, I find it much easier to reverse with a one fitted, so illegal or not, mine is staying.

knob’s only belong in terberg’s. :smiley:

They’ve always been illegal mate, unless you are registered disabled.

So many steering knobs out there, the missus just missed colliding with one only yesterday…one of Waberers…

a few lads used them at are place, when Wincantons moved in they banned them.

The subject has been discussed many times over the years.
I dislike the things with gusto and will actively remove them or refuse to drive any truck that’s fitted With one (even if it’s a trampers regular vehicle) that I’m allocated to drive.
With more and more technology and switches fitted to modern steering wheels, the cost of replacing a steering wheel on a lease truck that’s been chewed up because a knob was fitted can run into £100’s. In the previous discussions there was mention of drivers being billed by the operator for fitting a knob due to the damage.

Massey Harris and Fork Lift Trucks are the only things that should be fitted with them

peirre:
The subject has been discussed many times over the years.
I dislike the things with gusto and will actively remove them or refuse to drive any truck that’s fitted With one (even if it’s a trampers regular vehicle) that I’m allocated to drive.
With more and more technology and switches fitted to modern steering wheels, the cost of replacing a steering wheel on a lease truck that’s been chewed up because a knob was fitted can run into £100’s. In the previous discussions there was mention of drivers being billed by the operator for fitting a knob due to the damage.

exactly what I was going to say,over a period of time they cut into the wheel and do untold damage

m.a.n rules:
knob’s only belong in terberg’s. :smiley:

Lol that made me laugh :grimacing:

I too dislike them intensely.
If you have some problem with mobility or arm strength (Dipper can advise on repetitive exercise for wrists etc) then OK, they can be an aid, but mostly either unnecessary or a hindrance.
If I have to drive a truck where the regular driver has fitted one (rare), Ill try to work around it for a day. If longer, then Ill probably remove it and apologize, but I won`t put up with one for long.

Yep hate them, should be banned if they are not already’

the maoster:

You say always, since when do you reckon.
I’ve had mine on just about every truck I’ve had since Christ knows when, been pulled numerous times and nothing been said.

(Looks like I’m in a minority here.
Didn’t really ask for opinions on use of them, or lectures on damage to steering wheels chaps, …but thanks anyway. :neutral_face: )

jakethesnake:

Lots of things I hate, but can’t see that as a reason for banning anything just because I do, I just don’t use whatever it is. :bulb:

We got as memo through a few weeks back saying any driving with a steering knob had to remove it otherwise they’d be facing disciplinary action. Doesn’t look like its worked though, usual toothless management.

robroy:

jakethesnake:

Lots of things I hate, but can’t see that as a reason for banning anything just because I do, I just don’t use whatever it is. :bulb:

See your point but they have caused problems in the past. Not particularly safe in my opinion in some situations.

jakethesnake:

robroy:

jakethesnake:

See your point but they have caused problems in the past. Not particularly safe in my opinion in some situations.

I can only speak as I find mate.
I’ve used mine from the 80s with no problems, in terms of safety, and had no complaints from past employers.

The big problem today is that nearly all the big boys lease their trucks and don’t like being charged hundreds of pounds for a new fancy steering wheel when the trucks are replaced. Those knobs do cause damage the wheel and quite frankly in my opinion you don’t need one these days, the trucks have car like steering now.

Radar19:
The big problem today is that nearly all the big boys lease their trucks and don’t like being charged hundreds of pounds for a new fancy steering wheel when the trucks are replaced. Those knobs do cause damage the wheel and quite frankly in my opinion you don’t need one these days, the trucks have car like steering now.

Well in MY opinion, personally I maybe don’t NEED one, but I find it easier to reverse with my dodgy left arm, and it stops me shouting out swear words when pain kicks in, like I’ve got Tourettes. :bulb:

We have leased trucks, and as I said nothing has been said in all the 9 or so years I’ve been here.

the maoster:

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

I just mentioned these stupid devices yesterday in the thread about front wheel blow outs. In the case of such an incident the knob driving would find the knob on the steering wheel could possibly break his or her wrist. I think you may find that by law you should be able to hold the steering wheel using both hands at the 10 to 2 or quarter to 3 position in order to have safe control.