Steering knobs.

biggriffin:

the maoster:
They’ve always been illegal mate, unless you are registered disabled.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

I suspect it’s an urban myth

peirre:

biggriffin:

the maoster:

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Suspect all you want my friend, but they since the advent of rules have been illegal except in the instance I previously mentioned.

the maoster:

peirre:

biggriffin:

the maoster:

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Suspect all you want my friend, but they since the advent of rules have been illegal except in the instance I previously mentioned.

I’ve been looking for any such legislation, I cannot find anything from any legal or Gov body, but maybe just maybe it could bite you in the ■■■ over 1 or 2 things though…

1. If PC Plod decided you were driving dangerously or without due care and attention they could (I say could) attribute it to the driver aid/knob/spinner call it what you like.
  2. Did you (or your Boss) declare that the vehicle had been modified (modified steering controls to be precise) If the insurers want a get out clause their assessor may pick up on that, worth thinking about.

Reef:
I’ve been looking for any such legislation, I cannot find anything from any legal or Gov body, but maybe just maybe it could bite you in the ■■■ over 1 or 2 things though…

1. If PC Plod decided you were driving dangerously or without due care and attention they could (I say could) attribute it to the driver aid/knob/spinner call it what you like.
  2. Did you (or your Boss) declare that the vehicle had been modified (modified steering controls to be precise) If the insurers want a get out clause their assessor may pick up on that, worth thinking about.

Plod also have the option of “Not in proper control of vehicle”. A nice catch all piece of legislation that is used when they have nothing else.

Pat Hasler:
I think you may find that by law you should be able to hold the steering wheel using both hands at the 10 to 2 or quarter to 3 position in order to have safe control.

Right I get it, I’m the only one who likes driving holding my knob :laughing: , and everybody else thinks they are the curse of Satan…fair play.

Hands in that position ‘‘By law’’ or by highway code/training school directives?
I’m not putting myself in a good light here :blush: :unamused: , but I spend much of my day driving with one hand,… are you now saying that that is also specifically ‘‘illegal’’
Whether it is frowned upon or not advisory is another argument,…but illegal??

Personally speaking, if I was sat bolt upright, hands at 10 to 2, nose touching windscreen as if I was a learner driver, I would be totally stressed out after a couple of hours.

robroy:

Pat Hasler:
I think you may find that by law you should be able to hold the steering wheel using both hands at the 10 to 2 or quarter to 3 position in order to have safe control.

Right I get it, I’m the only one who likes driving holding my knob :laughing:

No I do too. Just not one that’s on a steering wheel :grimacing:

Unless I was shunting in the yard, if I was sent out with a unit with an ‘invalid knob’ (which is what we used to call them but that may not now be politically correct :unamused: ), I used to remove them and throw 'em in the passenger footwell. At the end of the trip I’d do the regular driver the curtesy of putting in back on but they could always tell because it’s hard to replace them precisely. Horrible things in my opinion: if you were wearing a long-sleeved shirt the bloody things would go straight up the slit at the cuff and render you ‘not in proper control’ of the vehicle :wink: . Good job I’m retired, eh? :laughing: Robert

I’m not allowed a steering knob because I pull my curtains all the way back away from the window. :laughing:

When I was younger I had a knob on my rigid (steering wheel i mean, not playing ‘touching tips’ with a friend), quite enjoyed twiddling it as I drove along, no real need due to the limited lock but it made me feel like a proper trucker back then.

There was a time when having a knob was all the rage but now like most things these are being frowned upon I suppose.

Thinking about it the steering wheel on my old Leyland freighter (first truck loved her) was solid not like the comfier ones we have today and the knob was useful.
Down to individual preference really and legalities/company policy of course.

Like everything knob related I’m a great believer in not knocking it till I’ve tried it.

IIRC, the truck will fail an MoT if there is one fitted when presented

That said, you will not always get done/spoken to, about them at a roadside inspection

At the roadside, it is down to the discretion of the person carrying out the inspection

the maoster:

peirre:

biggriffin:

the maoster:

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Difficult to understand how you would become “registered disabled” when there is no such register on which to have your details recorded…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

slowlane:
I’m not allowed a steering knob because I pull my curtains all the way back away from the window. :laughing:

Best post so far !! :smiley: :smiley:

Regards. John.

May be this thread should be merged with the how many turns of the wheel to get on a bay ? :laughing:

I currently drive a Y reg Daf roro and have thought whether one would be useful when lining up the bin runners, but then thought I’d have to buy it myself so that idea’s in the bin so to speak.
Wouldn’t steering knobs affect air bag systems where fitted?

peirre:

biggriffin:

the maoster:

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Yes. Because “registered disabled” is a myth - there has been no such register for decades, except for blind people.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

IndigoJo:

peirre:

biggriffin:

the maoster:

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Yes. Because “registered disabled” is a myth - there has been no such register for decades, except for blind people.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I didn`t see that one coming.
:slight_smile:

Pretty sure I’ve said on here before that I use a steering knob, it’s noted on my licence that I need it for safe control as I passed my test with it.

I honestly can’t see how they’re illegal as some road going vehicles plant etc have them built into the steering wheel and Terbergs can still be taken on the road if registered.

I reckon its probably become part of some of the bigger companies policy’s to remove them as they were being charged for damaged or worn steering wheels when handing lorries back.

Back in the day boys, a knob was as much part of the furniture as was flags, bull fighting spears, and a wallet with a chain. I personally liked them at the time…but it did get in the way sometimes, i dont believe theyre illegal ( but discretionary ) to whom ever is there at the time…disabled or not…but if someone sees them as an aid…why not…same as cannabis helps some people with their pain.

robroy:

Pat Hasler:

Right I get it, I’m the only one who likes driving holding my knob :laughing: , and everybody else thinks they are the curse of Satan…fair play.

Hands in that position ‘‘By law’’ or by highway code/training school directives?
I’m not putting myself in a good light here :blush: :unamused: , but I spend much of my day driving with one hand,… are you now saying that that is also specifically ‘‘illegal’’

Personally speaking, if I was sat bolt upright, hands at 10 to 2, nose touching windscreen as if I was a learner driver, I would be totally stressed out after a couple of hours.

I also spend most of the time driving with one hand on the wheel, it’s comfortable but it’s also because I have to drive a truck with a real crash gearbox LOL.

Pat Hasler:

robroy:

Pat Hasler:

I also spend most of the time driving with one hand on the wheel, it’s comfortable but it’s also because I have to drive a truck with a real crash gearbox LOL.

Hey, maybe that’s where my one hand driving habit originates from, …years of resting my aching left arm after Thirteenspeedfuller syndrome. :laughing: